Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Midseason (+1 game) Player Evaluation (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=50153)

Paintrain 11-05-2012 08:57 AM

Midseason (+1 game) Player Evaluation

I meant to do this post last week but didn't have time and coming off of Shanny's declaration that he is going into player evaluation mode, I figured we might as well give him some help. Without going player by player on the roster and discussing the obvious (RGIII & Hall for example) just some positives and negatives on both sides of the ball.

[B]Surprises:[/B]
[I]Morris-[/I]Well outperformed his draft slot. We seem to have solved the RB position for a couple of years.
[I]The interior of the OL[/I]-They have performed really well after being a relatively major concern coming into the season. We rarely see pressure up the middle on passing plays, Chester and Liectenstiger seem to be getting to the second level in the running game and Montgomery has improved his shotgun snaps and blocking.
[I]Morgan[/I]-He's been our best WR overall and despite his brain fart in the St. Louis game has proven to be a solid free agent pickup. He was a bit of an afterthought behind Garcon but as a #2 WR, he has solidified that spot.
[I]Riley[/I]-In his first full year as a starter, while he hasn't made too many impact plays, his overall play has been solid. He plays fast and doesn't seem to repeat mistakes. He's probably never going to be a Pro Bowl LB but can be a solid starter for years.

[I]Honorable mention:[/I] Paulson, LoAx, D. Young, Forbath

[B]Disappointments[/B]
[I]The DL as a whole[/I]-Bowen is the only one who stands out as a positive for me. Cofield was supposed to make a jump this year in his effectiveness but is showing to be a miscast NT. Jenkins either isn't fully recovered or isn't developing because he is just a guy out there, nothing special and not what you are counting on from a 2nd round pick. The guys aren't doing squat either as far as a pass rush is concerned as a unit. Decent against the run but we need more than that.
[I]Kerrigan[/I]-I'll give him somewhat of a pass since he's got no threat opposite him to draw the OL attention, but too many times he has been stopped one on one by a RT with no help. We're not talking about superstar tackles either, its been guys he should be able to beat. Again, the lack of development is a concern. He is someone who we needed to step up and he has stepped back instead.
[I]Fletcher[/I]-Sorry, but his time as a top level MLB is probably done. Just a couple glaring examples in the past 3 weeks: the 3rd and 10 vs. the Giants, he is one on one with Ahmad Bradshaw and got shook badly. The first carry of the game vs. the Giants when Bradshaw trucked him and put him on his back. Dwyer running through him multiple times vs. Pitt. He's been a warrior but Father Time is undefeated.
[I]Dishonorable mention:[/I] Wilson, Hankerson, Cundiff, rounds 3-5 in the past 2 draft classes

[B]Players who shouldn't be back next year [/B]
Not a comprehensive list but these players (who get regular time) have done nothing to warrant staying on our and in some cases, any NFL roster:
Hall, Doughty, M. Williams, Royster, Banks (ugh), Polumbus, C. Griffin

Who did I miss in any category?

Chico23231 11-05-2012 09:01 AM

Re: Midseason (+1 game) Player Evaluation

Add to your players who shouldnt be here next year: Gomes, Aldrick Robinson, Jamal Brown, Rex Grossman

punch it in 11-05-2012 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=Chico23231;961153]Add to your players who shouldnt be here next year: Gomes, Aldrick Robinson, Jamal Brown, Rex Grossman[/QUOTE]

Josh Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinsfaninok 11-05-2012 09:07 AM

Griffin, morris and trent williams are the only guys having a good season on this team. Ryan kerrigan is no where to be found and that secondary is embarrassing.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 09:09 AM

[quote=Chico23231;961153]Add to your players who shouldnt be here next year: Gomes, Aldrick Robinson, Jamal Brown, Rex Grossman[/quote]

You know, I'm not sure why Gomes isn't getting on the field. Is he that much worse than what's been out there? He must be terrible because I think Doughty is one of the least athletic players in the league and he starts ahead of Gomes. I don't want to bash Doughty too much but he's always a step slow in coverage, a step slow in run support making the tackle just after the first down marker, a beat slow in dissecting the play.

Can't disagree with the rest of your additions.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 09:09 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;961158]Griffin, morris and trent williams are the only guys having a good season on this team. Ryan kerrigan is no where to be found and that secondary is embarrassing.[/quote]

You don't think that Morgan is having a good season?

Chico23231 11-05-2012 09:10 AM

[quote=punch it in;961154]Josh Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Not giving up on Wilson. Think it has to do more with his displeasure with Haslett. I dont know for sure if he dislike him, but more of a sense. I think Wilson could play solid as a no.2 or at least in the slot. I say bring him back.

Pain, I agree with alot of what you said, especially the surprises. Im gonna disagree with Kerrigan. Think he gets the motor going after the bye.

Chico23231 11-05-2012 09:14 AM

[quote=Paintrain;961160]You know, I'm not sure why Gomes isn't getting on the field. Is he that much worse than what's been out there? He must be terrible because I think Doughty is one of the least athletic players in the league and he starts ahead of Gomes. I don't want to bash Doughty too much but he's always a step slow in coverage, a step slow in run support making the tackle just after the first down marker, a beat slow in dissecting the play.

Can't disagree with the rest of your additions.[/quote]

Gomes got abused in coverage when he started and on the field. He is ok in run support, but Ive seen he has also studied the Rocky McIntosh "Book of Bad Angles" which he takes alot as well. Doesnt have the speed or knowledge for an NFL safety.

jamf 11-05-2012 10:20 AM

[quote=Paintrain;961161]You don't think that Morgan is having a good season?[/quote]

I don't!
He is getting paid to be a #2 WR and only has 309 yards more than halfway through the season. No TDs and atleast 6 drops.
That's not even factoring in his mental mistake.
35 yards per game average is not acceptable for a starter.

Evilgrin 11-05-2012 10:22 AM

Players who will be gone for sure are Hall & Brown, there contracts are whats keeping them on the team. They couldn't afford the cap hit, by cutting them this year.

SFREDSKIN 11-05-2012 10:36 AM

[quote=Evilgrin;961212]Players who will be gone for sure are Hall & Brown, there contracts are whats keeping them on the team. They couldn't afford the cap hit, by cutting them this year.[/quote]

Add Santana Moss and Grossman to that list, maybe even Rocca.

punch it in 11-05-2012 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;961161]You don't think that Morgan is having a good season?[/QUOTE]

How much is he earning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDSKINS4ever 11-05-2012 10:48 AM

I'm confused and baffled as to why Gomes isn't seeing more playing time considering that he played admirably as a rookie last season and considering the Redskins safeties have struggled. I just am not understanding this. Raheem Morris have to have something to do with this.

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 11:05 AM

Think people believe Morgan got paid a lot more than he actually did

skinsfaninok 11-05-2012 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;961161]You don't think that Morgan is having a good season?[/QUOTE]

Not really, I'm still pissed over the game in stl

MTK 11-05-2012 11:09 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;961234]Think people believe Morgan got paid a lot more than he actually did[/quote]

It's basically a 2 year $12M deal, voidable by the team after 2013.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 11:24 AM

[quote=jamf;961210]I don't!
He is getting paid to be a #2 WR and only has 309 yards more than halfway through the season. No TDs and atleast 6 drops.
That's not even factoring in his mental mistake.
35 yards per game average is not acceptable for a starter.[/quote]

I really never understood what someone's paycheck has to do with anything. Victor Cruz is being paid like a street free agent. If he was making Calvin Johnson money would that make his play any more or less valuable to his team's results on Sunday?

I'm not really looking at stats, I'm watching the games and I've been happy with what Morgan has brought so far. He's been relatively consistent with his hands, get some YAC, fights for the ball and extra yards. If I recall he's had 2 TD called back on penalties. Without viable options such as Garçon and Davis, he's stepped up IMO.

MTK 11-05-2012 11:27 AM

I think SS mentioned this yesterday, but we need to get Morgan down the field more often, let him use his size to go up for balls. In general we probably need to stretch the field more.

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 11:55 AM

[quote=Mattyk;961258]I think SS mentioned this yesterday, but we need to get Morgan down the field more often, let him use his size to go up for balls. In general we probably need to stretch the field more.[/quote]

Wasn't me. But it's a good point

Deivybaby 11-05-2012 12:03 PM

Briscoe should start. Robinson had chance whi not briscoe

Michaelt31 11-05-2012 12:03 PM

Josh Wilson by all means is terrible! Everybody putting Hall down, put Wilson on the slot receiver and see how bad he really is! Hall might not be good, but Wilson is by far worse! We will find out in the next few weeks against Philly and Dallas. I think Hall is bad, but I think he is better on the outside rather than holding the slot receiver.

donofriose 11-05-2012 12:14 PM

No one on our defense has been impressive at all. Our pass rush sucks. I didn't even remember Kerrigan got a sack. Everyone is being single blocked and taken out of the game. Or run defense is not good. None of the linebackers including fletcher are making standout plays and they are getting beat frequently. I don't need to say anything about our secondary. Our qb, rb, and Oline have been the positives of this season. Our receivers have not been making plays and part of being good is being healthy (garçon, Davis). We have a lot of concerns for this team moving forward. I just have to hope mike/Allen have a plan for this team because a majority of this team needs to be upgraded.

GTripp0012 11-05-2012 10:27 PM

[quote=chico23231;961167]gomes got abused in coverage when he started and on the field. He is ok in run support, but ive seen [b]he has also studied the rocky mcintosh "book of bad angles" [/b]which he takes alot as well. Doesnt have the speed or knowledge for an nfl safety.[/quote]+1.

44Deezel 11-05-2012 10:56 PM

Offense:
RGIII, Morris, Darrell Young, the entire O-line minus Polumbus, Garcon, Fred Davis, Josh Morgan, Logan Paulsen.

Defense:
Kerrigan, Orakpo, Coefield, Bowen, Karriker

Everyone else is either expendable or worth trying to upgrade.

Maybe Merriwether and Jackson can help next year, but a top flight CB needs to be added. I actually believe a true #1 CB and a legit pass rusher would change the whole outlook for the Defense. Merriwether and Jackson have to be upgrades at Safety and moving Josh Wilson to #2 CB with better pass rush will make all the difference in the world.

Offense could use more pass-pro and more playmakers are always a good thing, although a healthy Garcon, Davis and even Helu should provide a boost in RGIII's second year.

Even with the $18mil penalty, the Skins will be middle of the pack in terms of money to spend in free agency.

44Deezel 11-05-2012 11:00 PM

[quote=Paintrain;961256]I really never understood what someone's paycheck has to do with anything. Victor Cruz is being paid like a street free agent. If he was making Calvin Johnson money would that make his play any more or less valuable to his team's results on Sunday?

I'm not really looking at stats, I'm watching the games and I've been happy with what Morgan has brought so far. He's been relatively consistent with his hands, get some YAC, fights for the ball and extra yards. If I recall he's had 2 TD called back on penalties. Without viable options such as Garçon and Davis, he's stepped up IMO.[/quote]

He's a good blocker as well.

DynamiteRave 11-05-2012 11:15 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;961219]Add Santana Moss and Grossman to that list, maybe even Rocca.[/quote]

Moss? Unless its a money issue, the guy doesn't have that much of a career left anyway. Another what, 2-3 years maybe? It'd be nice for him to go out a Skin, he's had some serious miscues this season (and his hands are suspect sometimes), but he's also come through for us as well.

Fletcher may wanna consider hanging it up after this season. He had a stellar season last season but he's been kinda getting abused so far this year. Best to go out while you're remembered for being an all-star linebacker, not a guy past his prime.

Rocca is playing with a bum knee, IN his kicking leg. The bye week should help. Might wanna bring in some competition for next year though.

Skins4L 11-06-2012 03:24 AM

Josh Morgan
Rex Grossman
and the entire secondary besides Hall whos getting embaressed by being part of such a horrible secondary.
Like i said.. we should have kept Landry hes playing FINE for NYJ still doing what he does sure a liability in coverage but thats fine these guys we have make NO PLAYS.

Skins4L 11-06-2012 03:25 AM

some people here hate big names. but big names and big talent go hand and hand.

Skins4L 11-06-2012 03:30 AM

we need to smack Free Agency in the face with a DB and a WR bigtime. Not JOSH MORGAN... god i thought that was a horrible pickup.

Bucket 11-06-2012 03:48 AM

[url=http://httr24-7.com/?p=3382]HTTR 24-7 - Redskins Offensive Player Grades At The Bye Week[/url]

This is exactly how I see it at the moment.. I enjoy this mans blog.

NC_Skins 11-06-2012 08:44 AM

[quote=Bucket;961620][url=http://httr24-7.com/?p=3382]HTTR 24-7 - Redskins Offensive Player Grades At The Bye Week[/url]

This is exactly how I see it at the moment.. I enjoy this mans blog.[/quote]

He does good stuff, was about to post this. Like his break down of All 22 film.

****ing Polumbus... :spank:

HailGreen28 11-06-2012 10:49 AM

[quote=Chico23231;961153]Add to your players who shouldnt be here next year: Gomes, Aldrick Robinson, Jamal Brown, Rex Grossman[/quote]Why has Gomes not stepped up? All these injuries were a golden opportunity for him.

SmootSmack 11-06-2012 10:57 AM

Let me just toss in here that David Jones has been cut

Chico23231 11-06-2012 11:08 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;961666]Let me just toss in here that David Jones has been cut[/quote]

Is there an add SS?

SmootSmack 11-06-2012 11:10 AM

[quote=Chico23231;961669]Is there an add SS?[/quote]

I think Dominique Johnson is going to be bumped up from the practice squad. Not sure who'll replace him on the PS

NC_Skins 11-06-2012 11:20 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;961671]I think Dominique Johnson is going to be bumped up from the practice squad. Not sure who'll replace him on the PS[/quote]

This should really shore up our secondary. :laughing-

Lotus 11-06-2012 11:27 AM

[quote=HailGreen28;961663]Why has Gomes not stepped up? All these injuries were a golden opportunity for him.[/quote]

Yep. I've been a Gomes fan. It is sad that he let his opportunity slip.

NC_Skins 11-06-2012 03:07 PM

[B]Dan Graziano ‏@espn_nfceast

Redskins also announced that T Jammal Brown has been cleared to practice. [/B]

SmootSmack 11-06-2012 03:08 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;961775][B]Dan Graziano ‏@espn_nfceast

Redskins also announced that T Jammal Brown has been cleared to practice. [/B][/quote]

Champ....ion...SHIP!!!!!

SmootSmack 11-06-2012 03:11 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;961775][B]Dan Graziano ‏@espn_nfceast

Redskins also announced that T Jammal Brown has been cleared to practice. [/B][/quote]

Brown and Sundberg. We're rolling now!