Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5 years later... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=50523)

Hog1 11-27-2012 08:31 PM

Re: 5 years later...

ESPN did a nice piece...about 10 minutes worth this afternoon on the life and death of ST. Good int's with #47, Santana, some players from the U.....Definitely cool stuff. Made me a little misty eyed for sure.....
They said the trial is tentatively scheduled to begin this April....maybe.
Wow....long time to wait.

skinsfaninok 11-27-2012 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Hog1;968356]ESPN did a nice piece...about 10 minutes worth this afternoon on the life and death of ST. Good int's with #47, Santana, some players from the U.....Definitely cool stuff. Made me a little misty eyed for sure.....
They said the trial is tentatively scheduled to begin this April....maybe.
Wow....long time to wait.[/QUOTE]

Very good

Hijinx 11-27-2012 10:09 PM

It really doesn't seem like five years. Whenever I buy a new years Madden the first thing I do is make a one year older Sean Taylor and put him on the Skin's roster.

It amazes me that the trial for the gunman isn't until April 5th 2013. How long does his family have to wait for justice?

That Guy 11-27-2012 10:21 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;968326]Same here. It's very hard to remember particular moments but I think I have a pretty good recollection of where I was and how I found out about Sean Taylor getting shot. ESPN.com followed by soon after tuning into NFL Network and logging on here to see any links to new developments. Now that I think about it I don't really remember much about when I first heard he officially passed away, just more the news about him being in critical condition and hoping he would pull through.

What I remember even more vividly is the Bears game, or rather not being able to watch the Bears game and being quite pissed about it. You can see my constructive criticism of NFL Networks blackout policy here:
[URL]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/21271-official-redskins-vs-bears-game-thread.html[/URL]

Also while I was searching for that thread I found this one:
[URL]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/15473-feelings-adam-archuleta-can-he-cover.html[/URL]

Nothing in particular just laughed when I saw the thread title.[/quote]

remember those highway 57 jokes (talking about crappy defensive players).
or who was a better linebacker, warrick holdman or a trash can? (and the trash can was honestly much better... seriously, ESPN (or somebody) did a segment on it i think).

SmootSmack 11-27-2012 10:37 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;968326]Same here. It's very hard to remember particular moments but I think I have a pretty good recollection of where I was and how I found out about Sean Taylor getting shot. ESPN.com followed by soon after tuning into NFL Network and logging on here to see any links to new developments. Now that I think about it I don't really remember much about when I first heard he officially passed away, just more the news about him being in critical condition and hoping he would pull through.

What I remember even more vividly is the Bears game, or rather not being able to watch the Bears game and being quite pissed about it. You can see my constructive criticism of NFL Networks blackout policy here:
[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/21271-official-redskins-vs-bears-game-thread.html[/url]

Also while I was searching for that thread I found this one:
[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/15473-feelings-adam-archuleta-can-he-cover.html[/url]

Nothing in particular just laughed when I saw the thread title.[/quote]

Well, ESPN found out because of the Warpath. Specifically I think jdlea who I believe started the thread saying he'd been shot. I had come in to work early that morning. When I saw the thread I quickly emailed my NFL counterpart in my department and together we started reaching out to the news team (some of whom had separately just heard about it) and getting more details. I remember telling the mods mid day that he was basically dead but not all family knew yet so it was being kept secret. For a brief second it looked hopeful that evening but it wasn't meant to be

mlmdub130 11-28-2012 07:48 AM

crazy that its been so long. they were talking about story's of sean yesterday and the dude was just an athletic freak. lavar was saying how sean would run to and from practice from his house, which was around 3 miles or so. i tend to think thats few and far between in the nfl.

most importantly like others have said it seemed as thought the birth of his daughter had really takin him to another level mentally. from the stories you hear it sounds like sean always got a bit of a bad rap from the media becuase he didnt talk that much. but when you hear stories of people who have met him he was super humble and an all around great dude. it's a real shame he is gone, and for such a senseless reason.

miss you bro, rip.

CultBrennan59 11-28-2012 11:27 AM

I didn't want to say this yesterday out of respect to the ST fans, but, I do want to mention/point out that we all agree that this team was clearly a game to 3 games better in wins with Sean on it right? Let me just say this, if Sean were alive, and we were winning a few more games, I don't think we'd have this amazing player right now in RG3..

FRPLG 11-28-2012 11:54 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;968548]I didn't want to say this yesterday out of respect to the ST fans, but, I do want to mention/point out that we all agree that this team was clearly a game to 3 games better in wins with Sean on it right? Let me just say this, if Sean were alive, and we were winning a few more games, I don't think we'd have this amazing player right now in RG3..[/quote]

Who knows. We'll never know how anything would have played out. Hell maybe Gibbs doesn't retire and Shanny isn't even coach now. Maybe we're worse maybe we're better...al we know is it would be different.

warriorzpath 11-28-2012 12:54 PM

... It's like Looper. Ha.

In all seriousness though- Sean Taylor was a phenomenal player that most football fans really couldn't or didn't want to fully appreciate. Darren Sharper paid tribute to him on nfl network last night by saying some good things - especially saying that even though Taylor was younger - he looked up to him and his playing style.

That Guy 11-28-2012 06:12 PM

um, i think most football fans had no problems appreciating ST. he played on special teams his entire career and made a habit of getting in extra hits after the whistle. It REALLY got under TO's skin to. I don't think he ever had more than 60 yards in a game with ST in there.

punch it in 11-28-2012 06:36 PM

God needed a safety.

punch it in 11-28-2012 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=CultBrennan59;968548]I didn't want to say this yesterday out of respect to the ST fans, but, I do want to mention/point out that we all agree that this team was clearly a game to 3 games better in wins with Sean on it right? Let me just say this, if Sean were alive, and we were winning a few more games, I don't think we'd have this amazing player right now in RG3..[/QUOTE]

The butterfly effect.

3MiamiDade21egend6 11-28-2012 08:22 PM

I remember the day after that tragic night like it was yesterday. I woke up late, and not having a chance to watch sportscenter (morning ritual), threw on my Sean Taylor jersey and made my way to campus. On my way to class, an unknown student was walking by me and stopped me to ask if I knew how Sean was doing. I replied in confusion and he stated that Sean had been shot the night before and was in critical condition. I told him he was not funny and I continued to class, stopping at the closest computer lab to validate his claims. Needless to say, I was focused on one thing for the next 24 hours. I shared in the hope that he would recover when it was reported that he squeezed the hand of a loved one halfway through the day. I am sad for his family and it still makes me sick to my stomach when I see his highlights 5 years later. It is truly a tragedy for such a young man, with incredible athletic potential and a life finally moving in the right direction, to have his life taken from him so abruptly.

It is also a tragedy that his murderer has yet to be convicted.