Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replacing the KO (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=50688)

BigHairedAristocrat 12-07-2012 07:27 PM

Re: Replacing the KO

[quote=RedskinRat;972001]Goodell doesn't give a fark about public opinion.[/quote]

I disagree. His job is to ensure the public has a high opinion of the sport. That's how the league makes money - putting out a product people want to see.

Defensewins 12-07-2012 07:44 PM

[quote=Daseal;972198]I actually have a bit of an issue with the helmet-to-helmet hits you're suggesting. Especially with the way rules are enforced now. [B]You NEVER see an offensive player hit with that penalty. [/B] I've seen many a RB/FB drop their head to create helmet to helmet contact with the defender, but I've never seen a flag go up because of it. Additionally, I've seen flags on the defender when the offensive player ducks their head at the last second.

These plays happen so quickly and there are so many variables that could cause it, that penalties being too high could be detrimental to the game. There are some hits that are quite obviously helmet-to-helmet, premeditated, lined up, and executed. But they are the minority when you look at penalties.

[B]I want to see offensive players held as accountable as defensive players are,[/B] and if you get more strict when it comes to in-game penalties, they need to become reviewable. [B]A couple fingers grazing the QBs helmet shouldn't be considered a penalty. We've gone a bit too far to limit these plays.[/B][/quote]

That is exactly right.
The offensive player lowering his head and barreling forward is dangerous to his well being. Eagles RB LeSean McCoy did exactly that against us late in the fourth quarter of the Eagles' 31-6 loss and was severely concussed. That was his fault for lowering his head.

The refs also have to have the authority to decide if an inadvertent hand to the Qb's helmet or any other protective rule that was accidental in nature and did not cause any serious contact or injury should be a NO CALL. The game changing 15-yard personal fouls have to be blatant and obvious. There are too many that are accidental and not intentional and are incorrectly called as foul. That has to change.

GhettoDogAllStars 12-10-2012 02:57 PM

[quote=Daseal;972198]I actually have a bit of an issue with the helmet-to-helmet hits you're suggesting. Especially with the way rules are enforced now. You NEVER see an offensive player hit with that penalty. I've seen many a RB/FB drop their head to create helmet to helmet contact with the defender, but I've never seen a flag go up because of it. Additionally, I've seen flags on the defender when the offensive player ducks their head at the last second.

These plays happen so quickly and there are so many variables that could cause it, that penalties being too high could be detrimental to the game. There are some hits that are quite obviously helmet-to-helmet, premeditated, lined up, and executed. But they are the minority when you look at penalties.

I want to see offensive players held as accountable as defensive players are, and if you get more strict when it comes to in-game penalties, they need to become reviewable. A couple fingers grazing the QBs helmet shouldn't be considered a penalty. We've gone a bit too far to limit these plays.[/quote]

Good points. Offensive players are responsible a lot of the times, and they don't get flagged. I suppose the best approach is to try to judge intent through the review process, but most fans wouldn't like that. The head to head hits are just too dangerous to ignore in my opinion.