Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Since we signed Patten.... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5079)

PSUskinsfan11 03-03-2005 08:35 PM

Since we signed Patten....

Ok if your look at our WR's we have Coles, Patten, Thrash, Jacobs, and McCants right now. Even if Coles is traded to the Jets we will still get Santana Moss. So my question is do we still go after a WR in the draft??? With Pierce gone and reports of Barrow being cut should we work on getting a MLB such as Bell or Hartwell since the MLB is considered the QB of the D and sign a decent CB then DRAFT a CB??? I think now that we have 2 holes one at CB and one at MLB we go after a big time MLB since there are really none in the draft and make an effort to get Smoot yet if he is out of our range pick up a solid CB then Draft Antrel Rolle, Pac Man or even trading down picking up a 2nd rounder and get Justin Miller in the later part of the first giving us a shot at a pass rushing DE in the 2nd. Just a thought......how bout you guys???

Big C 03-03-2005 08:46 PM

Re: Since we signed Patten....

if we took derrick johnson from texas and played him inside id be extremely happy

PSUskinsfan11 03-03-2005 08:49 PM

I would love that too but he is definatly an OLB. He is like another LaVar. We couldn't bring him inside.

gortiz 03-03-2005 08:50 PM

I think we should still go after a WR because I learned one thing over 16 games last season, Gregg Williams can get alot out of little. I mean, we had a whoop ass Defense without Lavar? or Barrow? I think his game planning, eye for talent and intensity can make up for not having good players. At this point, I think Gibbs needs more help on O. Ramsey is tough, smart and some what proven , but he needs help on WR. That crew of WR'd you named are not going to cut it. Is it possible that the skins don't have a WR over 6 foot?

offiss 03-03-2005 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=gortiz]I think we should still go after a WR because I learned one thing over 16 games last season, Gregg Williams can get alot out of little. I mean, we had a whoop ass Defense without Lavar? or Barrow? I think his game planning, eye for talent and intensity can make up for not having good players. At this point, I think Gibbs needs more help on O. Ramsey is tough, smart and some what proven , but he needs help on WR. That crew of WR'd you named are not going to cut it. Is it possible that the skins don't have a WR over 6 foot?[/QUOTE]

Great mind's think alike Gortiz! :biggthump

That Guy 03-03-2005 09:09 PM

still prefer WR right now... though i wouldn't object to a DE, we really need a top ten WR, we can get a DE in the 2nd round or so...

aehs77 03-03-2005 09:11 PM

if mike williams is available then i cant see passing over him

PSUskinsfan11 03-03-2005 09:13 PM

I agree with if Mike Williams is there and if the Vikings take Plax he might be there but if he is gone I think a CB might be a better option

KLHJ2 03-03-2005 09:36 PM

I can argue either way toward a CB or a WR as far as our 1st rounder, that is why I agree with drafting for the side of the ball we struggled the most with last year, and that's offense.

Shane 03-03-2005 10:29 PM

I tend to think the best thing to do is to draft the best player available regardless of position. That way you get the most talent on your team, and other players can be obtained through other draft choices, free agency, and trades. If you need a wide receiver, and Lawrence Taylor is available on the draft board, personally I take LT.

If the talent is roughly equal, to me it is too early to say what position to draft for this year. The wide receiver position is so unsettled for us still. If Coles stays, does he have a different attitude and get with the program? Even if so, is his health going to have improved enough to be more of a difference maker? If he leaves, do we get Santana Moss?

Are we going to re-sign Fred Smoot? Will we sign Samari Rolle instead? Do our coaches think we need to sign or draft anyone at corner even if Fred leaves?

It does look likely we will want to sign a veteran middle linebacker, with both Pierce and Barrow out of the picture.

MTK 03-03-2005 10:39 PM

Let's hope Burress goes to the Vikes so we can have a shot at Mike Williams.

Daseal 03-03-2005 11:02 PM

I agree Shane - you need to draft for talent - which is what we did with Taylor. However, you're also not going to use our pick on D. Johnson who is perhaps the best player in the draft because we don't need him. You need to use a little common sense when drafting as far as position - but take the best available talent in a range of spots. I feel Mike Williams is that talent. He could be a bust, he's not a sure thing, but he could be a great receiver in the CJ, TO, Moss type build.

That Guy 03-04-2005 04:24 AM

williams is really the best shot we'll have at getting a top flight WR in the near future, so i still think its important we take the risk with him since they're hard to come by (by the 2nd round lots of WRs will be left, but no one nearly as likely to turn into a top ten type of guy, and we're not in need of more 2nd tier types)... I think a good DE/DT will be available by the 2nd round, though you may be looking more at backup to help rotate and keep the line fresh rather than a dominate pass rusher.

Redskins8588 03-04-2005 04:59 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]williams is really the best shot we'll have at getting a top flight WR in the near future, so i still think its important we take the risk with him since they're hard to come by (by the 2nd round lots of WRs will be left, but no one nearly as likely to turn into a top ten type of guy, and we're not in need of more 2nd tier types)... I think a good DE/DT will be available by the 2nd round, though you may be looking more at backup to help rotate and keep the line fresh rather than a dominate pass rusher.[/QUOTE]
OK, but we dont have a 2nd round pick as of now!

That Guy 03-04-2005 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588]OK, but we dont have a 2nd round pick as of now![/QUOTE]

bah, details, details...

Redskins8588 03-04-2005 05:24 AM

lol!!!!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-05-2005 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=Shane]I tend to think the best thing to do is to draft the best player available regardless of position. QUOTE]

I almost totally agree with this notion, but then again we lost Coles AND Gardner and just got Patten and Moss. I think we need more help at wideout. We don't have a proven #2 wideout right now.

Moss was set to be demoted to #3, Patten was the Pats #3 or 4, Thrash is well Thrash, and Jacobs hasn't touched the starting lineup.

KLHJ2 03-05-2005 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan][QUOTE=Shane]I tend to think the best thing to do is to draft the best player available regardless of position. QUOTE]

I almost totally agree with this notion, but then again we lost Coles AND Gardner and just got Patten and Moss. I think we need more help at wideout. We don't have a proven #2 wideout right now.

Moss was set to be demoted to #3, Patten was the Pats #3 or 4, Thrash is well Thrash, and Jacobs hasn't touched the starting lineup.[/QUOTE]

While Jacobs hasnt touched the starting line up he has been getting groomed for it. Whether we draft a WR or not I think that we will be ok. Think about it Even Sean Taylor didn't start right away, so what makes you think that A 1st round drafted rookie would and have a significant impact on the offense.

Furthermore, Taylor Jacobs just hasn't been given the opportunity to shine yet. He was in the shadows of Coles and Gardner. They were getting paid to be the starters, so naturally were going to start. I am not saying that he is the man, but lets give him a chance in game situations before we declare him as garbage.

mooby 03-05-2005 10:28 PM

yeah but i think mike williams could prove himself to be a #2 wideout. david patten is a great slot receiver. mike williams is probably the best wideout in the draft. after the way the experts talked about him after he missed a year, its obvious his talent hasn't gone away with the year. mike williams could be like art monk. he's that type of guy. no, he's not very fast, but we only need one guy who can catch the long ball, and both santana moss and david patten have proven they can do that.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-05-2005 11:01 PM

Angryssg,

I totally agree that Jacobs hasn't been given a chance to shine yet. Champ Bailey, Stan Hixon, and Rob Johnson all said he ran the best routes they've ever seen a rookie run. The guy has a huge upside.

However, he's totally unproven at a key position. Plus, Florida guys don't have the best record at transitioning from college into the Pros.

So, I am still somewhat nervous about how good our wideouts will be next season. The keys to the offense and how well our wideouts perform are Ramsey and Gibbs. Ramsey's a decent starter and has the potential to develop into a Pro Bowler. But, he hasn't reached the second level of play. Gibbs is a Hall-of-Famer, but his slowness in adapting his offense last season is a bit disconcerting.

mooby 03-05-2005 11:05 PM

yeah but i think gibbs will slowly start to understand modern day football. he already has defense covered, but he needs to work on his offensive skills. lets see, our wideouts next year will be moss, patten, (could be mike williams in the third slot), thrash and jacobs. i don't know about rod gardners situation, if they can't work out a trade, what will he do in 2005? will they release him? i hope we at least get a draft pick in return.

KLHJ2 03-05-2005 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]Angryssg,

I totally agree that Jacobs hasn't been given a chance to shine yet. Champ Bailey, Stan Hixon, and Rob Johnson all said he ran the best routes they've ever seen a rookie run. The guy has a huge upside.

However, he's totally unproven at a key position. Plus, Florida guys don't have the best record at transitioning from college into the Pros.

So, I am still somewhat nervous about how good our wideouts will be next season. The keys to the offense and how well our wideouts perform are Ramsey and Gibbs. Ramsey's a decent starter and has the potential to develop into a Pro Bowler. But, he hasn't reached the second level of play. Gibbs is a Hall-of-Famer, but his slowness in adapting his offense last season is a bit disconcerting.[/QUOTE]

You say that florida players do not transition well into the pros. Statistically isnt it about time that one finally does? I want that one to be Jacobs. Ramsey could have reached the level of play you speak of last year had he started all of the way through the season. But, we will never know that for sure. In the defense of Gibbs, wehen he left the NFL you ran to open up the pass. Now a days you pass to open up the run (Generally speaking not alwys true). I think that joe realizes that now.

mooby 03-05-2005 11:14 PM

hey what happened to darnerian mccants. i heard that joe gibbs doesn't like him because he's not a great wideout and he's not a big contributer on special teams. i heard they were gonna release him. do you think he will be playing for us again next year?

KLHJ2 03-05-2005 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=mooby]hey what happened to darnerian mccants. i heard that joe gibbs doesn't like him because he's not a great wideout and he's not a big contributer on special teams. i heard they were gonna release him. do you think he will be playing for us again next year?[/QUOTE]

They havnt released him yet so dont get your panties in a bunch. They are still trying t oevaluate him to see if he fits with their system. If he can fit somewhere they will keep him. If not then bye bye DM.