Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=50809)

12thMan 12-14-2012 10:41 AM

Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL?

There can never be too many RGIII threads, agree? (the Mods just rolled their eyes) I think this could be/should be an ongoing discussion.

It's funny how it took[I] real[/I] NFL talent like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III to shift the conversation away from the leagues's fascination with Tim Tebow. I don't want to turn this into a bash Tebow thread. Please. But the media's constant and, at times, mind-numbing adulation of Tim Tebow really underscored, more than anything else, the NFL's need for it's very own Lebron James, Bryce Harper, or Sydney Crosby. When I think about who's the current face of the NFL, two names immediately come to mind: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Both players have secured their respective places in history as two of the best to ever play quarterback and are guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famers. That's not up for discussion. But are they truly transgenerational? That once in a generation athlete that rises above his particular sport and has cross-over appeal, such as Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. As we speak, can we say definitively that Manning or Brady (or Adrian Peterson, for that matter) is the face of the NFL?

I was watching the Wizards-Heat game a couple of weeks ago and was awestruck how Lebron James and other NBA players stopped by RGIII's courtside seat to give him props and congratulate him on beating the N.Y. Giants the night before. That just doesn't happen everyday folks. The likes of Kevin Durant, Marco Rubio, Big Boi, John Thompson and dozens more from all walks of life have publicly expressed how tremendous and phenomenal this kid has been.

My sense is Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin will duke it out over the years for various statistical honors and perhaps a Super Bowl trophy someday, but right now Robert is clearly commanding the attention of the entire sports landscape that transcends statistics and is on the verge of becoming a cultural icon, in my opinion. But what does this mean for the Washington Redskins and Redskins Nation? In years past players wanted to land in the Nation's Capital because you were pretty much guaranteed a big payday and a chance to pad your career statistics before exiting the game. Rarely was it about winning or improving the Redskins standing. Dan Snyder has earned the unfortunate reputation around the league for overpaying washed up players, controversial players, or guys that were flat out busts who just didn't give a damn. The conversation will now be about playing with a once in a lifetime player; An opportunity to rebuild the Redskins brand and possibly a chance at winning a Super Bowl. That's a pretty big deal if you're a Redskins fan.

TheMalcolmConnection 12-14-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL?

First off:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gnRDn.gif[/IMG]

But you're so right. He's a superstar because he's a REALLY good guy beyond his athletic gifts. It's rare when someone has the whole package.

WaldSkins 12-14-2012 11:02 AM

Holy rg3 threads. It's like espn in here

skinsguy 12-14-2012 11:05 AM

Answer: Yes.

Hail to the SteelSkins 12-14-2012 11:10 AM

[quote=WaldSkins;975346]Holy rg3 threads. It's like espn in here[/quote]

All the hype worries me some. I'm glad he's got good enough character to not let it get to his head.

CrustyRedskin 12-14-2012 11:18 AM

[quote=Hail to the SteelSkins;975349]All the hype worries me some. I'm glad he's got good enough character to not let it get to his head.[/quote]

:Smoker: Good post. Im sure another RGIII thread will be up by 330. But its a nice problem to have.

CRedskinsRule 12-14-2012 11:27 AM

It's just nice to force Cowboys fans into this statement:

[QUOTE=americasteam31-cowboyszone.com][B]Listen, no one is trying to say that his numbers aren't "historic"[/B]. All we are saying is pump your brakes... You know we all love nothing more than watching as skins fans get their hopes up for the next big thing year after year only to have them destroyed. We get it. There's finally a glimmer of hope after years of bottom feeding. But we are Dallas fans here. We don't like the Redskins, nor do we want to see them succeed if we can help it. So why would we want to sit here and listen to someone try to tell us how great he is when he's not even done with his rookie season? What credit has Romo been given for anything he's accomplished? "He can't win the big game" "He's a choke artist" "Turnover Tony" blah blah blah.... And he's been pretty damn good for years, but we're all supposed to bow down to RG after 13 games? Why? Because the media has crowned him?[/QUOTE]

I love it!!!

Ruhskins 12-14-2012 11:32 AM

Very good thread.

This is better than a "2015 Draft Prospect" thread or some of the wonderful threads that tend to appear during the offseason.

firstdown 12-14-2012 11:51 AM

I'd say RGIII is becoming the face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom are having a low profile great year.

skinsfan69 12-14-2012 12:08 PM

The media loves the guy and he's great with them so I would say yes. He's such a polished kid for 22. Luck is kind of boring.

JoLo 12-14-2012 12:13 PM

[quote=firstdown;975377]I'd say RGIII is becoming the face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom are having a low profile great year.[/quote]

Thats the thing though, Tom and Peyton are having low profile great years only because of RG3. If RG3 wasn't doing what hes doing they would be the talk of the NFL, especially what Peyton is doing.. The fact that RG3 is over shadowing the special season Peyton Manning is having after 3 neck surgeries and being on a new team is pretty spectacular and proves he is the new face of the NFL or at least well on his way to that pedestal.

JoLo 12-14-2012 12:16 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;975383]The media loves the guy and he's great with them so I would say yes. He's such a polished kid for 22. Luck is kind of boring.[/quote]

And Luck is very annoying to listen to talk. His voice drives me nuts!

Chico23231 12-14-2012 12:28 PM

[quote=JoLo;975386]And Luck is very annoying to listen to talk. His voice drives me nuts![/quote]

yes, andre the giant-like. very scary

12thMan 12-14-2012 12:37 PM

[quote=JoLo;975384]Thats the thing though, Tom and Peyton are having low profile great years only because of RG3. If RG3 wasn't doing what hes doing they would be the talk of the NFL, especially what Peyton is doing.. The fact that RG3 is over shadowing the special season Peyton Manning is having after 3 neck surgeries and being on a new team is pretty spectacular and proves he is the new face of the NFL or at least well on his way to that pedestal.[/quote]

Very good point.

MTK 12-14-2012 12:49 PM

RG3 is definitely one of the most popular players in the league and he's just getting started.

saden1 12-14-2012 01:16 PM

Brady and Manning have perfected QB play in the pocket. Payton is a coach out there picking you apart based on his reads. I'm not sure RG3 can do that yet but he is to DE and LB what Payton is to DBs. You have to be perfect and no one is so Defensive Coordinators have to go to the drawing board to mitigate the damage he causes. Any time that happens the game of football has been elevated. My wife put it best "RG3 makes the game unfair."

Gary84Clark 12-14-2012 01:18 PM

RG3 is a welcome distraction for the entire country. Everyone is talking about him. IMO Luck sucks. I know people will disagree, but imagine if any of the other rookie QBs had 18 INTs. But, we will see though.

los panda 12-14-2012 01:41 PM

it's a pretty clear "YES!"

his endorsement deals are off the charts
he's killing it on the field
he's fun and humble

what's not to like?

REDSKINS4ever 12-14-2012 01:48 PM

If Griffin III keeps playing like he's been playing as a rookie, imagine by the time he's in his 5th or 6th season in the league he could very well be the first ever pro football pop icon! It doesn't really matter how long he plays, but as soon as he wins a Super Bowl and the Redskins begin having 11-5/12-4/13-3/14-2 type seasons as was the case in the 1980s and early 1990s, then they will begin to talk about RG3 being a first ballot HOFer because as a rookie, who would be a senior at Baylor right now had he not declared for the 2012 NFL draft, he's outshined veteran quarterbacks in the NFL already, including the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys.

RedskinRat 12-14-2012 01:56 PM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;975429]If Griffin III keeps playing like he's been playing as a rookie, imagine by the time he's in his 5th or 6th season in the league he could very well be the first ever pro football pop icon! It doesn't really matter how long he plays, but as soon as he wins a Super Bowl and the Redskins begin having 11-5/12-4/13-3/14-2 type seasons as was the case in the 1980s and early 1990s, then they will begin to talk about RG3 being a first ballot HOFer because as a rookie, who would be a senior at Baylor right now had he not declared for the 2012 NFL draft, he's outshined veteran quarterbacks in the NFL already, including the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys.[/quote]

I've been saying this all season.

RGIII =

[IMG]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/210/519/tumblr_lvhuuq55N71qhoyau.jpg[/IMG]

los panda 12-14-2012 01:57 PM

he needs to do a commercial where he walks on water

CultBrennan59 12-14-2012 06:21 PM

My friend thinks he could be the next Michael Jordan of SPORTS. Not just the NFL, but that name that all athletes speak of, and that endorsers run to first. Wouldn't shock me if RG3 is in a movie in the next 10 years...

He's that popular and that liked

mbedner3420 12-14-2012 06:45 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;975346]Holy rg3 threads. It's like espn in here[/quote]

As a redskins fan I can honestly say coverage is getting a bit much, I can only imagine how torturous this must be for resident Jets fan smootsmack.

redskins5044 12-14-2012 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=los panda;975439]he needs to do a commercial where he walks on water[/QUOTE]

He doesn't need a commercial he does it every Sunday. Lol

TheSmurfs22 12-14-2012 07:37 PM

[quote=Chico23231;975390]yes, andre the giant-like. very scary[/quote]
~~~~~
BAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! It totally does! You nailed it!

TheSmurfs22 12-14-2012 07:38 PM

Just gotta keep RG3 healthy and no doubt he has the potential to be one of the greats.

CultBrennan59 12-14-2012 07:42 PM

[url=http://www.houseofheckle.org/http:/www.houseofheckle.com/andrew-luck-sounds-like-jason-segels-impression-of-andre-the-giant/]Andrew Luck Sounds Like Jason Segel’s Impression Of Andre The Giant…Maybe - The House Of Heckle[/url]

Dirtbag59 12-14-2012 10:56 PM

Not yet. For now it's still Peyton Manning and Tom Brady but as long as RG3 stays reasonably healthy he'll be the guy. His rookie season reminds me a lot though of the type of buzz Ovechkin generated save the partying.

skinsfaninok 12-14-2012 11:03 PM

He's pretty close and it's great honestly!! Finally a redskin being that GUY it's like a dang dream in redskins land. I do agree with some here that ESPN is WAY to in love with griff. If I wasn't a skins fan I'd be tired of it. It's almost tebow like

Dirtbag59 12-14-2012 11:19 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;975589]He's pretty close and it's great honestly!! Finally a redskin being that GUY it's like a dang dream in redskins land. I do agree with some here that ESPN is WAY to in love with griff. If I wasn't a skins fan I'd be tired of it. It's almost tebow like[/quote]

One interview that made me love RG3 more then I already do (which I didn't think was possible) had RG3 saying that he's not to eager to be on the cover of Madden not because he's scared of the curse but because Skins nation would be worried.

I'm hoping he doesn't get it which I think is possible seeing as how I thought Cam Newton was a lock to get the most recent cover but then again he probably will win it.

skinsfaninok 12-15-2012 06:22 AM

Has A.D ever been on the cover? Because he's obviously a good selection

Arrrgh! 12-15-2012 10:30 AM

Anybody wanna peanut?!

hooskins 12-15-2012 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=CRedskinsRule;975355]It's just nice to force Cowboys fans into this statement:

I love it!!![/QUOTE]

The response to this is "u mad bro?".

rbanerjee23 12-15-2012 12:51 PM

#1 in jersey sales -- the fans have spoken

Kindoy 12-15-2012 01:47 PM

Not quite yet - still think Brady/Manning are the face of the NFL

CultBrennan59 12-15-2012 02:29 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;975640]#1 in jersey sales -- the fans have spoken[/quote]

so did Tebow...lol

Defensewins 12-15-2012 02:32 PM

[quote=Kindoy;975642]Not quite yet - still think Brady/Manning are the face of the NFL[/quote]

No RGIII is #1 now.
[url=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8690603/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-tops-nfl-jersey-sales]Robert Griffin III of Washington Redskins tops NFL jersey sales - ESPN[/url]

Mechanix544 12-15-2012 05:51 PM

[quote=Gary84Clark;975404]RG3 is a welcome distraction for the entire country. Everyone is talking about him. IMO Luck sucks. I know people will disagree, but imagine if any of the other rookie QBs had 18 INTs. But, we will see though.[/quote]

doesnt really mean squat though, peyton had more INTs than TDs his first year. Luck will be fine.

Defensewins 12-15-2012 07:30 PM

Who votes for Rookie of the year?

RGIII 12-15-2012 08:05 PM

It's definitely a start of a new NFL era with a slew of fresh talent.