Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Media Hypocricy (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5112)

Paintrain 03-05-2005 08:47 AM

Media Hypocricy

Anyone else find it funny that the national media, who have taken pleasure every year in taking potshots at Snyder for free spending, is now turning on the Redskins for being frugal? The same comments always showed up, cap jail, can't keep spending like that, team without a salary cap until this year. Fact is the Redskins are well ($5+ Million I beleive) below the cap and could have matched Pierce's contract, can pay Smoot what he's asking for and can still absorb the hit for dealing Coles but they are making the choice not to throw max dollars around.. It's like damned if you do damned if you don't.. It will just make it sweeter when the Skins are playing in late January one of these years! :food-smil

Skinsfanforlife 03-05-2005 09:17 AM

Re: Media Hypocricy

Yea I agree with, The hypocrisy of the press is laughable. Even the local radio shows (sportstalk 980) take there shots at the Skins. Smoking AL Cocan is famous for this. he wines that they spend to much on players every year. Now that they are trying to not spend a lot of money on players he is wining about that. Like you said damned if you do damned if you don't..

You know Snyder may have brought this on himself, But you would think Joe Gibbs would get the benefit of the doubt by these press fools. The guy is a hall of fame coach, has 4 super bowl appearances, 3 super bowl victories, 2 successful NASCAR teams. The guy has been successful in everything he as done. The good thing is I know he hears these things and it has got to be motivating him.

MTK 03-05-2005 11:16 AM

I've been thinking the same thing these last few days, but some fans are just as guilty as the media is of this. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

mooby 03-05-2005 11:19 AM

yeah all the media wants is a story. i think joe gibbs is doing the right thing this year. we'll just have to wait until september to see if his plan works.

RedskinRat 03-05-2005 11:52 AM

Until this franchise wins and wins consistently it'll be a soft target.

When it turns around (And it will, soon) we'll then be subjected to a grovel-fest the likes of which has never been seen before.

Defensewins 03-05-2005 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=Paintrain]Anyone else find it funny that the national media, who have taken pleasure every year in taking potshots at Snyder for free spending, is now turning on the Redskins for being frugal? The same comments always showed up, cap jail, can't keep spending like that, team without a salary cap until this year. Fact is the Redskins are well ($5+ Million I beleive) below the cap and could have matched Pierce's contract, can pay Smoot what he's asking for and can still absorb the hit for dealing Coles but they are making the choice not to throw max dollars around.. It's like damned if you do damned if you don't.. It will just make it sweeter when the Skins are playing in late January one of these years! :food-smil[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Snyder is the new George Steinbrenner/ Jerry Jones of the recent NFL, they love to hate him.
However, correct me if I am wrong Crazycanuck, but the Redskins do not have enough cap room to have signed both Pierce and Smoot and traded Coles. I thought Coles will be an immeadiate $5M (or something crazy like that) if we trade him or cut him.

MTK 03-05-2005 12:39 PM

Coles is more than that if he was cut, he'd hit the cap for over $9M

mooby 03-05-2005 01:10 PM

yeah but they already paid him that 5 million signing bonus on last tuesday. im confused. what will happen if they trade him now?

offiss 03-05-2005 01:14 PM

Personally I like the direction we are heading to, and that is build through the draft, free agency is good to add a player here or there but if you try and build a team through free agency most of the time you will fail miserably, it just cost's to much to build a team that way. I have a strong feeling that we will be dealing and aquiring pick's in this upcoming draft, I could also see us sold on a reciever that is under the radar of the top 4 that isn't being considered by most of us right now should be interesting as alway's.

MTK 03-05-2005 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=mooby]yeah but they already paid him that 5 million signing bonus on last tuesday. im confused. what will happen if they trade him now?[/QUOTE]

big cap hit, but that room was cleared by Samuels' restructuring his deal.

mooby 03-05-2005 01:53 PM

well now that we've traded coles to the jets for moss, we won't absorb a big cap hit. or we will even though samuels restructered?

Daseal 03-05-2005 01:55 PM

We'll absorb his signing bonus -- ouch. Unless part of the deal was him giving it back.

MTK 03-05-2005 02:15 PM

Too late for him to give anything back, the deadline for the $5M bonus already passed

Daseal 03-05-2005 02:23 PM

That's right. Ugh!

mooby 03-05-2005 02:50 PM

if we paid him 5 mil already, then how much remained on his signing bonus and how much money will be on the cap hit.

ST21 03-05-2005 04:01 PM

Coles.....He Gone

wordsmithgk 03-05-2005 04:23 PM

Two small speedy receivers in two days with Patten and Moss. Will this year's team resemble the one with Brown and Sanders. Who will be the big receiver to play the role Monk played on those teams?

Paintrain 03-05-2005 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=wordsmithgk]Two small speedy receivers in two days with Patten and Moss. Will this year's team resemble the one with Brown and Sanders. Who will be the big receiver to play the role Monk played on those teams?[/QUOTE]
Mike Williams!

mooby 03-05-2005 05:44 PM

i totally agree with paintrain on this one.

jdlea 03-05-2005 08:43 PM

I'm glad they're not going crazy this offseason.

monk81 03-06-2005 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I've been thinking the same thing these last few days, but some fans are just as guilty as the media is of this. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that Matty.......we fans are a difficult bunch aren't we ;)

I have been impressed with Snyder this year, he's really stepped back into the shadows and let Gibbs and Vince run things.....

SkinsRock 03-07-2005 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=wordsmithgk]Two small speedy receivers in two days with Patten and Moss. Will this year's team resemble the one with Brown and Sanders. Who will be the big receiver to play the role Monk played on those teams?[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief, I think they may not take a top WR in the draft and may actually give McCants a shot at it...at least in training camp. And if that doesn't work out, I could see them going without a bigger possession guy, and just go with Thrash and/or Jacobs in that role, even though they don't really have the size (both about 6'0", 200 lbs.). Actually, I think this could be the year where Jacobs really breaks out....Gibbs had nothing but good things to say about him last season, and he, like McCants, kind of got stuck behind the more experienced veteran guys.
No matter what happens, it should be a good training camp competition to see who emerges....even though most people assume they will be, I don't necessarily think that Moss and Patten are automatically the starters...they still need to earn their spots. And the competition will make ALL of them better!

mooby 03-07-2005 12:01 PM

what about gardner. what will happen to him if we don't work out a trade. will he be the #3 receiver?

MTK 03-07-2005 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=monk81]Can't argue with that Matty.......we fans are a difficult bunch aren't we ;)

I have been impressed with Snyder this year, he's really stepped back into the shadows and let Gibbs and Vince run things.....[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the media is very disappointed about this, they were just waiting to see if Danny would step on Gibbs' toes and whip out the checkbook and start signing every FA in sight.

Instead we addressed a couple needs at center and WR, and seem to be done for now.

Usually the Skins are known for making waves in free agency, this year it's barely been a ripple.

mooby 03-07-2005 12:06 PM

maybe that's because they don't have any room under the salary cap to breathe. if we hadn't wasted all our money on a few busts in free agency maybe daniel snyder would have his checkbook out right now.

sportscurmudgeon 03-07-2005 12:09 PM

Snyder is target for criticism because he seems to find ways to do things wrong. Let's see how you can explain all of this - and I'm not going back into history to talk about Mark Carrier and Jeff George and Cousin Brucie here...

In January, the report was that Samuels and his agent proposed a restructuring deal that called for Samuels to get a $13M signing bonus over a five year deal with a sixth year option. The report was that the Redskins rejected that offer categorically. Remember, Danny Boy does the "big time negotiations" as witnessed by the breathless threads here about reports that Danny Boy and Samuel's agent were having dinner and that Danny Boy would surely make things OK. Well Danny Boy showed yet again that he may be a marketing whiz but doesn't know his ass from a goalpost in football. The market for offensive tackles went way beyond Samuel's proposal and the agent would not even begin to talk about the offer he had proposed only a couple of weeks prior. So the Skins had to cough up almost $16M to get Samuels and the deal is six full years - no option to get out after five. Who put the team in that bind? The person who categorically rejected the offer in January. I don't think that was the equipment manager...

Let's talk about the brilliant moves surrounding the Coles' situation. First of all, the cap hit would have been less if Danny Boy had not given Coles a $13M signing bonus when Coles was asking for a $10M signing bonus three years ago. You can't hang that one on Gibbs or Spurrier or Schottenheimer or anyone else; that was Danny Boy. Now fast forward to this year when Coles says he wants out of Washington. The instant the team decided to honor that request, it became absolutely imperative for the team to enlist Coles' help in making his departure as cap friendly as possible. Somehow, everything went the other way. Coles was going to go before the March deadline making the 2005 hit a bit less burdensome but then he felt as if the Skins "reneged" on whatever understanding there was. "Reneged" is a tough word and that is exactly the word used by Coles' agent. "Reneged" translates into "you didn't hold up your end of the deal so now I'm going to be an even bigger pain in your ass". Who did that? Who gave the impression of reneging - even if no real reneging actually happened? And remember, we don't know if Coles is a weasel or Danny boy is a weasel here - or if they both are... But just remember that LaVar Arrington also thinks the team "reneged" on an understanding he had with them and that is now in arbitration. Interesting...

Now negotiations with Santana Moss and his agent will begin and Danny Boy is not in a position of strength here. Moss is dirt cheap this year but he is a free agent at the end of the year. So, if they want to lock him up it will take a nice signing bonus and a multi-year deal to make that happen. They can structure the deal so it is cap friendly for this year but they are going to have to commit to Santana Moss for a long time even without seeing him perform here. Or they run the risk of him being a free agent next year and walking - meaning they get one-year of a replacement for Coles as part of their trade. That's not a lot more than you would have gotten by releasing Coles in February so look for the Skins not to take that chance. Moss will get a fat deal here and it will probably be announced pretty soon.

mooby 03-07-2005 12:13 PM

yeah but oh well. as far as lavar goes he signed a nine year contract back in 2003. that obviously says he wants to be a redskin long term. as far as santana moss goes, why don't we go through half the season to see what he's like, then offer him a big contract extension if he performs at a better level than coles.

backrow 03-07-2005 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=jdlea]I'm glad they're not going crazy this offseason.[/QUOTE]

The Redskins FO may not be going crazy this offseason, but we are!

The one move I had hoped that they wouldn't make this year, is the offer to Ray Brown! Last year, I wished they would have dropped Ade Jimoh! I'm going to be 0fer2!

Everything else seems to be a supreme effort to balance the books toward next year. Biting the bullet seems to be the FO and Locker Room motto this year!

sportscurmudgeon 03-07-2005 12:25 PM

Mooby:

Here's the Skins' risk in dragging their feet with a Moss deal. Suppose it is the 9th game of the season and Moss has 55 catches for 1000 yards already. His free agency value has just skyrocketed and at that point there is no reason whatsoever for him to agree to any deal the Skins put in front of him because he can go on the open market and let a bunch of teams try to sign him.

In addition, if Moss is not signed by the end of April, the Skins will not know if they need to spend a high draft pick on a WR or not.

So, my guess is they sign Santana Moss by the end of March to a long term deal. If it workd out, good for everyone. If he does not live up to expectations, it will be another signing bonus to swallow.

MTK 03-07-2005 12:35 PM

I agree SC, I don't think it's a question of will we sign Moss to a new deal, it's only a question of when.

I'm guessing sooner rather than later, once Coles and Moss pass their physicals to make the deal official, I think we might see a contract announcement soon after, if a deal hasn't been penciled in already.