Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Salary cap- After Coles release (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5127)

monk81 03-06-2005 06:00 PM

Re: Salary cap- After Coles release

Question--This may be a stupid question but did Management already set the cap ceiling for this year, or is that done at the March Owners meeting?....If the owners set it in March, we may be able to have a little extra cap room..........

At least we got a decent player in a bad situation.......it could've been worse...Coles could've remained a Skin and then decided to go ahead and have the toe surgery during the season and he would be spending his time on IR and we would've filled a roster spot but lacked a WR on the field. Or he could have been disgruntled and been stuck with the Skins and played, but maybe he would be a cancer in the locker room....I think Gibbs is trying to set a tone for the team and didn't want to put up with a disgruntled Coles IMHO..................

CrazyCanuck 03-06-2005 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=monk81]Question--This may be a stupid question but did Management already set the cap ceiling for this year, or is that done at the March Owners meeting?....If the owners set it in March, we may be able to have a little extra cap room..........[/QUOTE]

I read that the cap for 2005 will be $85.5M, so not much extra room.

mooby 03-06-2005 10:32 PM

well i think moss can be a solid #1 wide receiver, nothing wrong with ducking out of bounds when you need to. and what they say about sideline santana, thats nothing coles didn't do. coles never fought for extra yards.

Daseal 03-06-2005 11:21 PM

I think it was a bad trade. I personally don't see Moss as our #1 and it put us in a poor financial situation. We should make him play this year before we show him the money.

MTK 03-06-2005 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=BigSKINBauer]can't the terms disclosed part of the deal mean that the jets will pay some of the cash or is it set that we will take the 9 million hit. i mean y would we do that it hurts us really really bad that is a couple great players. pierce smoot. and plexico geeeeez but hopefully we get some of that cash back through coles or the jets

i guess what i am asking are we DEFINATLY taking that 9 mill hit?[/QUOTE]

Technically it's about a $6M cap hit since he was already supposed to count roughly $3M for this year, but yeah total of $9M

Redskins8588 03-07-2005 01:26 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]I think it was a bad trade. I personally don't see Moss as our #1 and it put us in a poor financial situation. We should make him play this year before we show him the money.[/QUOTE]
I agree, make him play this upcoming season under his current contract, then evaluate him and pay him accordingly. None of this pay him a big contract because he is a "Redskin" now crap!

That Guy 03-07-2005 07:16 AM

the big guess with contract now/contract later is how well he's going to play... samuels refused to rework his contract till he had a good year, cause that means more money for him. If we think moss is going to prove himself and be with us for a long time, it'd be best to sign him now... i'd be hesitant though with his history of missing games....

MTK 03-07-2005 08:55 AM

The only positive I can see by signing him now is he's coming off a so-so season. Let's say we wait and he ends up having a big '05 season, his price will only go up. It might pay to sign him now to a moderate deal.

Redskins_P 03-07-2005 09:56 AM

I wonder what kind of cap space we can recover by cutting some of these players:

Chad Morton

Lennie Friedman and/or Cory Raymer

Darnerian McCants

mooby 03-07-2005 11:01 AM

yeah cory raymer should be cut, along with mark brunell, darnerian mccants, and michael barrow.

Daseal 03-07-2005 11:32 AM

mooby - It's impossible to cut Brunell with the salary cap.

Schneed10 03-07-2005 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P]I wonder what kind of cap space we can recover by cutting some of these players:

Chad Morton

Lennie Friedman and/or Cory Raymer

Darnerian McCants[/QUOTE]

Cap Savings by Player - Players that would save $0.5 million or more:

Rod Gardner $1,446,800
Walt Harris $1,250,000
Brandon Noble $1,050,000
Cory Raymer $841,667
Lennie Friedman $700,000
Robert Royal $660,000
Matt Bowen $600,000
James Thrash $521,000

Of those guys, we know we're trading Gardner already. We HAVE to keep Harris. But I'd be looking hard at Noble, Raymer, and Friedman. Just gotta draft some depth at those positions if you're going to cut those guys.

That Guy 03-07-2005 11:44 AM

brunell would cosst u more to cut then keep...

mccants, gardner, raymer, hall can save us money lasst i checked... morton may or may not...

MTK 03-07-2005 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]mooby - It's impossible to cut Brunell with the salary cap.[/QUOTE]

especially after we just bit the big one on Coles

We're stuck with Brunell for another year at least

MTK 03-07-2005 11:49 AM

Sounds like Gibbs will bring Raymer back as the backup at center, I'd say Friedman is more likely to be cut, we'll see though