Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gardner to Vikes? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5130)

diehardskin2982 03-06-2005 02:58 PM

Gardner to Vikes?

Although most people on this forum hate him, and feel he has no trade value he is getting some interest else were. Others have mentioned sandiego, houston, Tampabay among others.

[URL=http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5275717.html]http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5275717.html[/URL]

I really have to commend the Redskins staff this season, their offseason strategy is coming into focus and working very nicely. :biggthump

Daseal 03-06-2005 03:32 PM

Re: Gardner to Vikes?

That's yet to be seen - we could be left with some gaping holes!

diehardskin2982 03-06-2005 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]That's yet to be seen - we could be left with some gaping holes![/QUOTE]

I think Gibbs's goal this offseason was to weed out the real players commited to the team from those commited to their own personal benefit. In the case of players like pierce or coles the goal for them seemed to be for the almighty dollar and their own personal stats, so i say good ridance to players like that. They may be good but they are not skins.

Trotter was to me a true eagle because he could have taken the big pay day in Kansas city but chose to stay an eagle for cheaper. We need players loyal to the frachise like that. Smoot is not getting the attention he thought he would get, so I do see him maybe coming back and he'll be better because he'll have a chip on his shoulder. Is he a true Redskin? that is left to be seen becasuse he still wants a big pay day. The last thing players want to do is upset fans, thats bad for business. So I don't even listen to what players may say in the media, like I want to come back and so on, becasue obviously their actions speak louder than words

bigm29 03-06-2005 03:49 PM

its a lot easier to have loyal players when you make it to the super bowl

Bozzy 03-06-2005 04:01 PM

yeah, exactly.

skinsguy 03-06-2005 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=bigm29]its a lot easier to have loyal players when you make it to the super bowl[/QUOTE]

It's alot easier to make the Super Bowl with loyal players. :)

monk81 03-06-2005 05:47 PM

I like what Gibbs is doing fine so far......we upgraded at center with Rabach, we needed a replacement for Gardner at WR, we got Patten and Moss, if Coles had remained a happy camper we would have more cap room of course....but considering it all, if we re-sign Smoot and manage to get a DE thru the draft or Gardner trade.........I think the offseason was a success.......

BossHog 03-06-2005 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=diehardskin2982]Trotter was to me a true eagle because he could have taken the big pay day in Kansas city but chose to stay an eagle for cheaper.[/QUOTE]

No. Trotter knew that he fit into PHIs defensive scheme and that's very important to his success in the NFL. He probably would've resembled the Trotter circa Redskins tenure if he signed with KC. And that would've led to his 'release' given the amount of money he would've recieved.

I commend Gibbs giving Coles the ax, but not at this cost. I was going to ask the question, "how taking a $9 million cap hit (actually $6 million) and aquiring Moss who will demand a new contract next year better than just releasing Coles and saving $5 million and bidding on Moss, the FA (assuming Moss is released when Coles is signed by NYJ)?" Look at it like this. Either way Coles is out. If we had to sign Moss as a FA, his contract would've been close to having a $5 million signing bonus if not more. Now what if Moss doesn't live up to his contract? We'd still be on the hook for his signing bonus. So ideally, we get Moss this year on a 'free' trial basis. Now will the Redskins re-sign Moss before we see how productive he is? :oink:

MTK 03-06-2005 06:37 PM

If Gardner to the Vikes means we have a better shot at Williams I'm all for it

Gmanc711 03-06-2005 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]If Gardner to the Vikes means we have a better shot at Williams I'm all for it[/QUOTE]

Maybe we can trade Garnder for a contractual agreement that they wont take Williams or Edwards if they are there at #7. :headbange

BrudLee 03-06-2005 06:40 PM

Why not Gardner and the 9th pick for the 7th? If he's worth no more than a third round pick, that's a steal for us.

Daseal 03-06-2005 06:41 PM

Because we'd have to pay more to most likely the same player?

BrudLee 03-06-2005 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Because we'd have to pay more to most likely the same player?[/QUOTE]
We'd pay more, but have Gardner's salary off the cap. We'd also have a better chance at the player we want, rather than the "best available" at a position.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-06-2005 07:29 PM

So the Vikes might think that Gardner is their WR of the future? Tee hee. Hell, that's fine with me. You pick him and we'll take Williams.

e16bball 03-06-2005 08:19 PM

If we are trading Gardner to the Vikes, I don't see any reason to make it the 9th and Gardner for the 7th, and this is why: If we trade them Gardner, they won't take a WR anyway. Thus, we gain nothing from moving up to 7, since the Cardinals assuredly won't take a WR. At 7, we would still be behind the Bears, Bucs, and Titans, all of whom may be threats to take a WR. We would be much better off taking a 3rd rounder from them for Gardner than moving up to number 7, if we did that trade.

I would still prefer a trade involving Gardner and the 9th going to Tampa Bay for the 5th. Even if we have to throw in another pick, it guarantees our guy.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-06-2005 09:50 PM

Exactly. So I'm guessing everyone is sold on Williams as our man? I'm liking Williamson as well and I think if we had to take him as a "last resort," I would be extremely satisfied with that kind of last resort.

e16bball 03-06-2005 10:05 PM

Right, Williamson isn't a bad fallback guy, but Williams is such a stellar fit. I am 100% sold on him.

mooby 03-06-2005 10:20 PM

yeah so am i. williams is tall, he's an art monk kinda guy. there are just a lot of teams before us interested in wideouts.

ST21 03-07-2005 02:42 AM

Williams....He Gone

Redskins8588 03-07-2005 03:45 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]Exactly. So I'm guessing everyone is sold on Williams as our man? I'm liking Williamson as well and I think if we had to take him as a "last resort," I would be extremely satisfied with that kind of last resort.[/QUOTE]
Not everyone, I mean Williams would be a good fit for us but I still would like to trade down for more picks and pick up Clayton. I think that he would work for us, and give us oppertunities to fill other needs. But I am not going to pout and rais a fuss if we do get to draft Williams, like I said he would still be a good fit I am just thinking of how we can take care of other positions and still get a playmaker at the WR position.

celts32 03-07-2005 10:08 AM

I would give Minn Gardner for nothing if it meant they wouldn't take a WR at #7.

Redskins_P 03-07-2005 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=celts32]I would give Minn Gardner for nothing if it meant they wouldn't take a WR at #7.[/QUOTE]

me too. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind getting a 3rd rounder for him. No.7 pick in the 3rd round isn't too shabby....

MTK 03-07-2005 10:43 AM

I've give him to the Vikes for a ham sandwich...

with mustard

BrudLee 03-07-2005 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I've give him to the Vikes for a ham sandwich...

with mustard[/QUOTE]
Matty, we really can't afford to be picky with condiments.

mooby 03-07-2005 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P]me too. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind getting a 3rd rounder for him. No.7 pick in the 3rd round isn't too shabby....[/QUOTE]

the vikings don't have the seventh pick in the third round. they have a seventh pick in the first and seventh round because of randy moss' trade. at matt, i would trade him for a blt. mmm, bacon lettuce tomato. *drools like homer simpson

MTK 03-07-2005 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=BrudLee]Matty, we really can't afford to be picky with condiments.[/QUOTE]

yeah you're right

how about cheese?

AndySkinUK 03-07-2005 10:59 AM

How come you guys are so down on Rod Gardner??

Being over in the UK i obviously don't get to see every game live like i imagine you guys do, but we got 4 Redskins games live over here last season and he looked decent at No2 WR. With the smaller speedier guys we have now like Moss and Patten, would he not be the big WR we need to compliment them??

Or is there off field issues with Gardner, i think i remember reading that it was his party that Taylor was at when he got pulled for DUI.

offiss 03-07-2005 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I've give him to the Vikes for a ham sandwich...

with mustard[/QUOTE]

Don't get carried away Matty, HOLD THE MUSTARD!

mooby 03-07-2005 11:03 AM

yeah but off field has nothing to do with it. they just think he didn't have a productive year. we wasted a first rounder on him. we (or should i say marty) thought he would be the next randy moss. instead, we have some guy who drops passes and complains about not getting the ball enough.

offiss 03-07-2005 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=AndySkinUK]How come you guys are so down on Rod Gardner??

Being over in the UK i obviously don't get to see every game live like i imagine you guys do, but we got 4 Redskins games live over here last season and he looked decent at No2 WR. With the smaller speedier guys we have now like Moss and Patten, would he not be the big WR we need to compliment them??

Or is there off field issues with Gardner, i think i remember reading that it was his party that Taylor was at when he got pulled for DUI.[/QUOTE]

No! It's his on the field issues that have us so down on him mainly it's his inability to catch a pass an 8 year old could catch, and his ability to disapear for games on end in the passing game.

backrow 03-07-2005 12:00 PM

I wonder if the Vikes know about Gardner's nick-name: 50/50?

I hope not!

mooby 03-07-2005 12:09 PM

hah. you know what would be really funny. if the vikes gave us their first round pick for him. i would laugh my ass off.

MTK 03-07-2005 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=mooby]hah. you know what would be really funny. if the vikes gave us their first round pick for him. i would laugh my ass off.[/QUOTE]

You and the entire football world, but I don't think we have to worry about that.

SKINSnCANES 03-07-2005 12:50 PM

Mar. 7 - Redskins WR Rod Gardner might be traded to Minnesota for a draft pick, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. Vikings VP of football operations Rob Brzezinski confirmed he has had additional trade discussions since sending receiver Randy Moss to Oakland last week, but he would not comment specifically on Gardner.

Thats from todays rumor central on espn

BIGREDSKINFAN63 03-07-2005 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]I wonder if the Vikes know about Gardner's nick-name: 50/50?

I hope not![/QUOTE]

they just got rid of somebody that had that nickname did'nt they????
[img]http://www.ramones.com/images/coversdiscography_03.gif[/img]

celts32 03-07-2005 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P]me too. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind getting a 3rd rounder for him. No.7 pick in the 3rd round isn't too shabby....[/QUOTE]

If Gardner is worth a 3rd round pick than maybe I am worth at least a 6th rounder...