Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A question for all Redskins fans..... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=51577)

MTK 01-28-2013 05:23 PM

Re: A question for all Redskins fans.....

[quote=44ever;991419]Not really, I believe both QB's are capable and can run the offense effectively without the help of the coaches babying. I just believe Cousins has the ability to last the whole season where RG3 can't.

If you want to hang onto RG3 after what you have seen this season thats fine, I'll save myself the disappointment. Its not just the Knee injury but the concussion as well. The guy is just not gonna last IMO. I wish I was wrong, but Im not.

In any case my original point was the Redskins can win with either QB.[/quote]

One season and you're done with him eh?

He's not the first QB that can run or that got hurt, he'll figure things out.

The Goat 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk;991274]similar to your hang up on this Cousins is the future baloney.[/quote]

There's some pretty smart people out there who say the same thing unless our offense changes. In his first year RG suffered a concussion, major knee injury, missed significant time and should have missed significantly more. Herm Edwards' and others comments that RG is a five year QB at this pace is probably liberal if anything.

Or is there another story here?

44ever 01-28-2013 05:30 PM

[quote=Mattyk;991426]One season and you're done with him eh?

He's not the first QB that can run or that got hurt, [B]he'll figure things out.[/B][/quote]

I hope you're right. I don't mind crow.

MTK 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

[quote=The Goat;991427]There's some pretty smart people out there who say the same thing unless our offense changes. In his first year RG suffered a concussion, major knee injury, missed significant time and should have missed significantly more. Herm Edwards' and others comments that RG is a five year QB at this pace is probably liberal if anything.

Or is there another story here?[/quote]

Funny thing is his injuries happened on scrambles, not designed runs.

The offense isn't the problem.

Five year QB? Come on that's a joke. The league has seen plenty of mobile QBs so why is RG3 a five year guy when guys like Cunningham, Vick, Young, etc all had long careers?

The Goat 01-28-2013 05:46 PM

[quote=Mattyk;991432]Funny thing is his injuries happened on scrambles, not designed runs.

The offense isn't the problem.

Five year QB? Come on that's a joke. The league has seen plenty of mobile QBs so why is RG3 a five year guy when guys like Cunningham, Vick, Young, etc all had long careers?[/quote]

To be sure RG must protect himself better, scrambling and otherwise. But our pass protection is poor...didn't we see something after the season saying RG took the highest percentage of hits on drop backs?

Cunningham and Young were much larger/stouter athletes. Vick was far better at avoiding hits, and then he got a nice long break lol.

Again, I think five years, given the current "trend" if you will, is probably liberal. The league is facing blowback on the concussion issue, and policy changes, even drastic ones, won't surprise me over the next three seasons.

But ultimately it's just a law of averages. A QB keeping the ball as often as RG has will break down no matter what. Add the fact he's not built to withstand contact and been unable (thus far) to avoid it, I mean it's pretty easy to figure he'll play partial seasons for a few years before the big one happens.

Why not just improve pass protection and scheme now? That's the bottom line, right?

MTK 01-28-2013 05:58 PM

Griffin isn't a glass doll, I'd wager good money he lasts more than 5 years.

In fact can anyone name a starting QB in the last 25 years that had a career of 5 years or less due to injury?

Underhook 01-28-2013 06:01 PM

I am new to the forum and as you know i am not allowed to start a new thread or i would. I have been a skins fan since 1985 (5 years old) I feel the Redskins were playing better football this year than i have seen in years. IMO Cousins should have came in as soon as we could ALL see how bad RG3 was hurt. I am really hoping that decision doesn't come back and bite us in the ass. Of course we have to address the secondary. There has been another thing really bothering me. I hope it doesn't become a huge distraction, and i don't know how you guys feel on the issue but....2 years ago i started a Facebook page "Do NOT change the Redskins name" I haven't given it much thought and haven't really touched the page again until last week. When the issue suddenly took off again. I would much rather hear what actual Redskins fans have to say on the issue rather than the liberals i have been arguing with for a week. If you are a liberal that's fine too. At least you are a Redskins/football fan. You don't even have to like the page (I could care less about likes) just come get in on the conversation. There are very few people. I feel like this is an issue that needs to spread around Redskins nation like wildfire. I'm really not trying to deal with this during the season. Would like to get going now so we know exactly what it is we are up against. I am not a racist person at all but the consensus thus far seems to be that anyone that does not want to change the name is a white racist and i just don't believe this to be true. So check out ...Do NOT change the Redskins name on Facebook and make your voice heard. Thanks for taking the time to read all of that...

Lotus 01-28-2013 06:21 PM

[quote=Mattyk;991441]Griffin isn't a glass doll, I'd wager good money he lasts more than 5 years.

In fact can anyone name a starting QB in the last 25 years that had a career of 5 years or less due to injury?[/quote]

Ryan Leaf. His hurt butt forced his early retirement.

Lotus 01-28-2013 06:29 PM

[quote=44ever;991419]Not really, I believe both QB's are capable and can run the offense effectively without the help of the coaches babying. I just believe Cousins has the ability to last the whole season where RG3 can't.

If you want to hang onto RG3 after what you have seen this season thats fine, I'll save myself the disappointment. Its not just the Knee injury but the concussion as well. The guy is just not gonna last IMO. I wish I was wrong, but Im not.

In any case my original point was the Redskins can win with either QB.[/quote]

I would argue the opposite. We know what we can get from a season of Gryphon.

While Cousins played well during his chances, there have been many QB's who had a good game or two but then had mediocre seasons or even careers. All we know about Cousins is from a few games. We still have no idea what he is like over a full season.

44ever 01-28-2013 07:26 PM

[quote=Lotus;991451]I would argue the opposite. We know what we can get from a season of Gryphon.

While Cousins played well during his chances, there have been many QB's who had a good game or two but then had mediocre seasons or even careers. All we know about Cousins is from a few games. [B]We still have no idea what he is like over a full season.[/B][/quote]

Agree 100% And I certainly am not trying to make this a "Cult Cousins" thing. I would rather RG3 start but am not afraid to put my trust in Cousins should the need arise as it may have. He was drafted for this very reason and works hard to stay sharp when called on. We should not think it disrespect towards RG3 to embrace our 4th round pick. We should be happy we have them both.

NC_Skins 01-28-2013 07:44 PM

[quote=The Goat;991436]Cunningham and Young were much larger/stouter athletes. [/quote]

Randall Cunningham - 6'4" 215lbs.

Steve Young - 6'2" 215lbs.

Robert Griffin III- 6'2" 217lbs.

Much larger/stouter? Am I missing something here?

HailGreen28 01-28-2013 07:50 PM

If Griffin only misses a couple games next season, 11-5. If he misses half the season, 8-8.

44ever 01-28-2013 07:51 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;991461]If Griffin only misses a couple games next season, 11-5. [B]If he misses half the season, 8-8[/B].[/quote]

Why?

HailGreen28 01-28-2013 07:56 PM

[quote=44ever;991462]Why?[/quote]I think our OL has really gotten the ZBS down pat, so our run game will be at least as strong as this season. Moss is still strong and our young WRs should start "getting it" next season.

Our D, I have little faith in. But I think Griffin is going to get everybody fired up with his performance. I don't expect to go 7-0 to start next season, I expect us to lose a bad game or two. But if Griffin is anywhere near 100% whenever he sees the field, we will be a beast of a team.

edit: Just notice you highlighted my 8-8 guess if Griffin misses half the season. I think this team is good enough to break even without a 100% RG3. I also think there's a bigger difference between 11-5 and 8-8 than just getting lucky 3 more games. Griffin turns next year's team from average to superbowl contender if he can get healthy this offseason and stay that way.

MTK 01-28-2013 07:57 PM

Cousins had a great start against Cleveland but I want to see more before I'm all in with him. Until we see that he's a legit QB I believe the more games RG3 plays the better off we are.