Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The "Damn! I'm good!" thread. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=51842)

JoeRedskin 02-21-2013 09:02 AM

The "Damn! I'm good!" thread.

Like many of you - at work, I don't bitch about my work load; I just do it. I don't make a big deal about going the extra mile; I just do it. I don't brag about the quality of my work; I just do it. While I appreciate it when my bosses or cohorts recognize my efforts, I don't strive to exceed to please them or seek praise; I just do it. Around the house, same thing. I have read your posts over the years on a variety of topics and I know a lot of you have the same ethic.

Well you know what, if you're like me, regardless of the appropriate humility and "right" attitude you display at work and home, there are times when you want to scream "F*** Yeah! I nailed it!" and break out into a touchdown dance to end all touchdown dances right in the middle of the office/living room.

Well, having just had one of those moments, I thought to myself "I KNOW I am not the only one who has these thoughts." Thus, I bring you the "Damn! I'm good!" thread.

We, your Warpath buds, will not judge you nor hold you to any required or appropriate decorum. Tell us about those accomplishments which made you happy - share the f'ing joy! It doesn't have to be one that was paricularly ground breaking or for which others recognized. In fact, it's more for those small, everyday victories that make you feel good about yourself regarldless of what bosses, coworkers, spouses, girlfriends, family members think.

Came in at the last minute with a great idea that saved the day? I want to know about it. Pulled an all-nighter that got the job done even though no one expected it? Tell me. Fixed the leaky pipe in the basement w/out the wife ever even noticing? Yo! I'm here and want to hear.

Say it loud, say it proud here! Share the f'ing awesomeness that is you.

RedskinRat 02-21-2013 09:19 AM

I'm way more humble than you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JoeRedskin 02-21-2013 09:29 AM

Re: The "Damn! I'm good!" thread.

So here is the inspiration for the thread.

Yesterday, I got an opinion from the Maryland Court of Special Appeal on a case I had been working on for 4 1/2 years. It wasn't a legally ground breaking case. A motor tort where a sink hole opened in the roadway causing an accident. It was factually intense - should we have known? did we conduct appropriate inspections? The law on the matter was broad and could be argued as applicable or not ten ways to Sunday. Procedurally, it was a nightmare, multiple parties, multiple claims, folks dropping out then coming back. Thousands of pages of documentation, a five day trial (10 days before Christmas!).

Early on in the case, the opposing attorney screwed up on a deadline ... a significant deadline but one which is court's will normally give you a pass on if you act appropriately. Well, he didn't and I leapt on it. I filed literally hundreds of pages of motions, some dense, legal writing - factually intensive cases require lots of legal analysis - and did so in [I]very[/I] short order. I basically outworked the guy in all phases of the game. At the end of the day, I was able to get the jury verdict overturned and get the win (which happens about .0001% of the time). On appeal, the briefs were mini-novels of legal analysis on multiple points of law. The Court's appellate opinion essentially dismissed all the other side's arguments, affirmed my victory on all counts and quoted my brief extensively. It was awesome!

People knew I had busted my ass on this one and gave the appropriate congrats. B/c the case has no particular signifigance going forward, however, it has already fallen off the radar. That's fine. I understand that. It's the way of the world.

But holy, f'ing sh**!! Did it feel f'ing good!! I will be on a high all week!!! Sometimes, I am too damn sexy for my shirt!

JoeRedskin 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

@ Rat - probably, but this thread is for feeling good about not being humble.

As for the rest of you - Okay, folks ... I want to hear it.

mredskins 02-21-2013 09:41 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;994930][B]Like many of you - at work, I don't bitch about my work load; I just do it. I don't make a big deal about going the extra mile; I just do it. I don't brag about the quality of my work; I just do it.[/B] While I appreciate it when my bosses or cohorts recognize my efforts, I don't strive to exceed to please them or seek praise; I just do it. Around the house, same thing. I have read your posts over the years on a variety of topics and I know a lot of you have the same ethic.

Well you know what, if you're like me, regardless of the appropriate humility and "right" attitude you display at work and home, there are times when you want to scream "F*** Yeah! I nailed it!" and break out into a touchdown dance to end all touchdown dances right in the middle of the office/living room.

Well, having just had one of those moments, I thought to myself "I KNOW I am not the only one who has these thoughts." Thus, I bring you the "Damn! I'm good!" thread.

We, your Warpath buds, will not judge you nor hold you to any required or appropriate decorum. Tell us about those accomplishments which made you happy - share the f'ing joy! It doesn't have to be one that was paricularly ground breaking or for which others recognized. In fact, it's more for those small, everyday victories that make you feel good about yourself regarldless of what bosses, coworkers, spouses, girlfriends, family members think.

Came in at the last minute with a great idea that saved the day? I want to know about it. Pulled an all-nighter that got the job done even though no one expected it? Tell me. Fixed the leaky pipe in the basement w/out the wife ever even noticing? Yo! I'm here and want to hear.

Say it loud, say it proud here! Share the f'ing awesomeness that is you.[/quote]

Mooby need not reply to this thread. I ked! =)

jamf 02-21-2013 09:44 AM

I am a master of Volcano Jump
[url=http://www.makaimedia.com/#/volcano]Makai Media :: The Best Flash Games On The Net![/url]
and picking up hookers.

firstdown 02-21-2013 09:52 AM

I was told I would never get hired for an agency without a college degree and I broke the mold as one of the first agents hired without a degree. Its now pretty common.

mredskins 02-21-2013 10:02 AM

[quote=firstdown;994945]I was told I would never get hired for an agency without a college degree and I broke the mold as one of the first agents hired without a degree. [B]Its now pretty common.[/B][/quote]

What that agency realized they were over paying for over qualified help so after seeing a Chimp like you pull it off they dropped their standards.

Job well done Firstdown. The Insurance field thanks you.

Chico23231 02-21-2013 10:04 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;994934]So here is the inspiration for the thread.

Yesterday, I got an opinion from the Maryland Court of Special Appeal on a case I had been working on for 4 1/2 years. It wasn't a legally ground breaking case. A motor tort where a sink hole opened in the roadway causing an accident. It was factually intense - should we have known? did we conduct appropriate inspections? The law on the matter was broad and could be argued as applicable or not ten ways to Sunday. Procedurally, it was a nightmare, multiple parties, multiple claims, folks dropping out then coming back. Thousands of pages of documentation, a five day trial (10 days before Christmas!).

Early on in the case, the opposing attorney screwed up on a deadline ... a significant deadline but one which is court's will normally give you a pass on if you act appropriately. Well, he didn't and I leapt on it. I filed literally hundreds of pages of motions, some dense, legal writing - factually intensive cases require lots of legal analysis - and did so in [I]very[/I] short order. I basically outworked the guy in all phases of the game. At the end of the day, I was able to get the jury verdict overturned and get the win (which happens about .0001% of the time). On appeal, the briefs were mini-novels of legal analysis on multiple points of law. The Court's appellate opinion essentially dismissed all the other side's arguments, affirmed my victory on all counts and quoted my brief extensively. It was awesome!

People knew I had busted my ass on this one and gave the appropriate congrats. B/c the case has no particular signifigance going forward, however, it has already fallen off the radar. That's fine. I understand that. It's the way of the world.

But holy, f'ing sh**!! Did it feel f'ing good!! I will be on a high all week!!! Sometimes, I am too damn sexy for my shirt![/quote]

thats awesome. it always feels good to be working on something that long, 4 1/2 years, and finally feel victorious. especially with all the work in it.

Im would rate myself as average when it comes to being handy around the house, but I did take joy recently in taking apart a ceiling fan, fixing a part in the motor and putting it back together. that felt good.

Often my little highs comes from little tasks like you mentioned. Gardening has been something i really enjoy by raising certain plants, or harder to produce veggies...im also branching out to bonzi techniques in the last year.

I recently conquered a female at work too after she had dissed me for a year and half. Now [B]I[/B] let her pass.

Working on running has been hardest thing in the last year...gotten to 3 miles in 25 mins while dealing with planter faciatis. I want to get to 5K land, but damn its tough after 35 mins of straight running.

Go topic Joe

Lotus 02-21-2013 10:34 AM

Way to go Joe! It's great that you feel a glow from outworking your competition. It all sounds time-consuming and stressful and I'm glad that you can savor your proper reward - victory!

As for me, in the last few months I have had an article published in the most prestigious journal in my field, won a grant from the NEH, won a very competitive research fellowship, and won the last teaching award that I could win but had not yet won. Good year for me!

Chico23231 02-21-2013 10:58 AM

Nice Lotus. Damn you and JR make me jealous cause yall really sound like you enjoy your work. that must be nice

BigHairedAristocrat 02-21-2013 10:58 AM

I was lost at sea and drank my own urine EIGHT times and didnt die!

JoeRedskin 02-21-2013 11:13 AM

[quote=Lotus;994954]As for me, in the last few months I have had an article published in the most prestigious journal in my field, won a grant from the NEH, won a very competitive research fellowship, and won the last teaching award that I could win but had not yet won. Good year for me![/quote]

So, I am seeing multiple touchdown dances. Nice.

firstdown 02-21-2013 11:18 AM

[quote=mredskins;994948]What that agency realized they were over paying for over qualified help so after seeing a Chimp like you pull it off they dropped their standards.

Job well done Firstdown. The Insurance field thanks you.[/quote]

Ha, HA. Commision only.

firstdown 02-21-2013 11:20 AM

[quote=Lotus;994954]Way to go Joe! It's great that you feel a glow from outworking your competition. It all sounds time-consuming and stressful and I'm glad that you can savor your proper reward - victory!

As for me, in the last few months I have had an article published in the most prestigious journal in my field, won a grant from the NEH, won a very competitive research fellowship, and won the last teaching award that I could win but had not yet won. Good year for me![/quote]

Great job. Not sure why I have never had an article published in any journal.