Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thread Series: The case for/against Tyrann Mathieu (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=52300)

mredskins 03-27-2013 12:50 PM

Re: Thread Series: The case for/against Tyrann Mathieu

[quote=Ruhskins;1000549]I am curious though if there were many 6'-2"+/220+ lbs receivers in D. Green's day.[/quote]

Micheal Irvin? 6-2 207. Played him twice a year for many years.

Not everyone is Megatron which is why Megatron is Megatron. Really no one matches up good against him.

Still I think Matthieu size is going to be his downfall in today's NFL.

MTK 03-27-2013 12:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if TM ends up just being a return man in the NFL and maybe a dime corner at best. I dunno, I'm just not overly impressed with the guy.

firstdown 03-27-2013 12:59 PM

If you look at his highlight film from the first page of this thread not many of those HL are him dropping back in coverage. He is a ball hawk but I don't think guys trun the ball over near as much in the NFL.

Chico23231 03-27-2013 01:08 PM

[quote=mredskins;1000538]I think you misunderstood him.

His quote:

[I]Tyrann Mathieu is undersized as a defensive back at only 5’9 and 186 lbs. His film, and his poor showing at the combine in strength testing showed his inability to match large receivers in their physicality. [/I]

Sounds like he is saying his size and strength are question marks.

[I]In 2011, Tennessee Tech’s[B] Da’Rick Rogers[/B] (6’2, 217lb) basically carried Mathieu fifteen yards on his back following initial contact, and only went down when[B] Brandon Taylor[/B] saved the day with the assist. [/I]

At [B]5'9" and 186 LBS guy sounds like Brandon Banks honestly[/B].[/quote]

Tim Jennings was my first thought

CultBrennan59 03-27-2013 01:23 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1000556]I wouldn't be surprised if TM ends up just being a return man in the NFL and maybe a dime corner at best. I dunno, I'm just not overly impressed with the guy.[/quote]

He very well could. I think he has the ability to be a defensive Devin Hester (as opposed to playing offense like what Hester does now). His return ability is unquestioned. Just YouTube tyrann mathieu Georgia and see how great of a returner he is.

diehardskin2982 03-27-2013 01:40 PM

We talk about Tyrann's size like the skins aren't currently bringing in a 5'9" 180 Antoine Winfield in to visit. SMH, Not every corner is going to be the size of Richard Sherman, nor do they have to be.

Josh Wilson is the same height as Mathieu and only 2 pounds heavier. It not the size of the dog in the NFL, but the fight in the dog and Tyrann has alot of fight.

Also I wouldn't base bringing him in off the fact that a WR carried him into theendzone on one play. That is one great play by Da’Rick Rogers. If we thought like that Laron Landry wouldn't be an enforcer as a safety because he got ran over by Brandon Jacobs once. The cornerback position is about instincts more than any other position on the field. That is why i would not hessitate in getting him in the third on draft day.

We don't face Megatron every sunday, we may not face him every 2-4 years, so if ur looking for a megatron beater, that is silly.

mredskins 03-27-2013 01:44 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;1000566]We talk about Tyrann's size like the skins aren't currently bringing in a 5'9" 180 Antoine Winfield in to visit. SMH, Not every corner is going to be the size of Richard Sherman, nor do they have to be.

Josh Wilson is the same height as Mathieu and only 2 pounds heavier. It not the size of the dog in the NFL, but the fight in the dog and Tyrann has alot of fight.

Also I wouldn't based him being undersized off the fact a WR carried him into the endzone on one play. That is one great play by Da’Rick Rogers. We don't face Megatron every sunday, we may not face him every 2-4 years, so if ur looking for a megatron beater, that is silly.[/quote]

Those are good points.

IMO his size, off field red flags and lack of college football experience makes him a no pick or a 5th through 7th round pick. There is better talent out there.

CultBrennan59 03-27-2013 01:53 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;1000566]We talk about Tyrann's size like the skins aren't currently bringing in a 5'9" 180 Antoine Winfield in to visit. SMH, Not every corner is going to be the size of Richard Sherman, nor do they have to be.

Also I wouldn't base bringing him in off the fact that a WR carried him into theendzone on one play. That is one great play by Da’Rick Rogers. If we thought like that Laron Landry wouldn't be an enforcer as a safety because he got ran over by Brandon Jacobs once. The cornerback position is about instincts more than any other position on the field. That is why i would not hessitate in getting him in the third on draft day.

We don't face Megatron every sunday, we may not face him every 2-4 years, so if ur looking for a megatron beater, that is silly.[/quote]

Very good points. As Daniel Jeremiah and Matt miller of nflnetwork and nfldraftscout said yesterday, a lot of prospects have a bad game. Manti against bama, Luke Joeckel against Florida, Eric fisher against ball state, Kenny vaccaro vs ok state. Calvin Johnson had a bad game against Georgia. All prospects have a bad game or below par game.

MTK 03-27-2013 03:40 PM

[url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000154237/article/tyrann-mathieu-is-a-secondround-talent-three-potential-nfl-fits?campaign=Twitter_writers_brooks]Tyrann Mathieu is a second-round talent; three potential NFL fits - NFL.com[/url]

NC_Skins 03-27-2013 04:12 PM

**** no. I'm absolutely tired of knuckle heads on this team. We have lead the league in suspensions and penalties the past year or so. No more. Time to do better and this guy isn't it.

Defensewins 03-27-2013 04:44 PM

He is a talented football player that is undersized. However judging the type of player the redskins have been drafting lately, team captains, locker room leaders, on the field leaders, this guy does not fit that recent trend. So on that point alone I do not see the Redskins drafting this troubled player unless he drops to the fourth round or below and that is not going to happen.
Bottom line: we have to many needs and this draft is to deep to be taking a chance on a player with a troubled past.

Evilgrin 03-27-2013 05:10 PM

His size shouldn't be an issue, it's whether he is meant to play safety or corner, and if his head is on straight.

Lotus 03-27-2013 05:15 PM

[quote=Defensewins;1000616]He is a talented football player that is undersized. However judging the type of player the redskins have been drafting lately, team captains, locker room leaders, on the field leaders, this guy does not fit that recent trend. So on that point alone I do not see the Redskins drafting this troubled player unless he drops to the fourth round or below and that is not going to happen.
Bottom line: we have to many needs and this draft is to deep to be taking a chance on a player with a troubled past.[/quote]

Well put.

SirLK26 03-27-2013 05:24 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1000605][url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000154237/article/tyrann-mathieu-is-a-secondround-talent-three-potential-nfl-fits?campaign=Twitter_writers_brooks]Tyrann Mathieu is a second-round talent; three potential NFL fits - NFL.com[/url][/quote]

Mathieu is pretty much a no-brainer to me if he's still available in the third round.

NYCskinfan82 03-27-2013 05:51 PM

I'm rolling with whatever the FO thinks, but if he's there in the 4th then make that phone call. We had Banks on the team for 2 years and IMO he did nothing at least this guy plays corner and ST.