Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   D.Hall is back! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=52344)

diehardskin2982 04-01-2013 09:45 PM

D.Hall is back! Almost

D.Hall is back... So many love or hate him so it warrants its own thread

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/04/01/redskins-bringing-cornerback-deangelo-hall-back/]Redskins bringing cornerback DeAngelo Hall back[/url]

skinsfaninok 04-01-2013 09:46 PM

No shock here. I'm not a hall hater that's for sure so I'm happy

GTripp0012 04-01-2013 09:52 PM

Re: D.Hall is back!

It makes a lot of sense. No other team offered him a contract, and we apparently think we're in bad shape there, so he's back at a reduced price.

It's not a move of much significance. But he's a better bet to be healthy for 16 games than Chase Minnifield is.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-01-2013 09:52 PM

I disagree about it warranting its own thread, but here we go anyways...Like I said in the redskins FA thread, it had better not be for much money. Signing hall for one year is more fiscally responsible than signing Winfield for one year at 2-3 times the cost. I'm just hoping we can poach seattles DBs after next years offseason

CultBrennan59 04-01-2013 09:57 PM

I hope this is one sick April fools joke. (Sadly I know it isn't)

mooby 04-01-2013 10:11 PM

I like to think that D.Hall isn't as bad as the haters say he is and isn't as good as that one guy (was it 44ever?) who called D.Hall a HOFer in his sig said he is, but that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In the absence of any better options atm I am glad he is back, because aside from EJ Biggers we really haven't made any noticeable changes from the terrible secondary we fielded last year. Hall has his ups and his downs, and I doubt that will change this year, but I think he is a better option at a reduced price than any of the other free agents out there this year.

CultBrennan59 04-01-2013 10:17 PM

Well as httr247 said, at least were still in the running for Antoine Winfield.

That Guy 04-01-2013 10:22 PM

if winfield wants a superbowl now, denver's the place. maybe we were seeing the writing on the wall, or we didn't want to wait and Dhall lowered his price.

either way, if we got him on a 1 year deal for 3.5M or less, it's good. we'll need to find a starter in the draft or FA next year... but all things considered we've done alright this offseason.

That Guy 04-01-2013 10:23 PM

it'd be silly to sign winfield at this point, unless we were letting wilson walk and we're willing to throw big money at a FA next year...

VegasSkinsFan 04-01-2013 10:24 PM

Yeah. This turned into a take care of our own off season which I'm pleased with considering the level of play. So lost zo and gained Biggie.

DynamiteRave 04-01-2013 10:27 PM

I wouldn't say I'm thrilled but I'm cool with this move.

I'm assuming that means Winfield is going elsewhere.

JoeRedskin 04-01-2013 10:28 PM

Neither a Hall hater but no man-crush on the guy. If the salary cap penalty weren't in place, I doubt we make this move. As it is, and in light of the cap, you do what you have to do. All things considererd, he played well enough in the scheme during last year's run.

All things considered, being able to hold the team together is a pretty solid off-season accomplishment.

I also think this locks in a safety with our 2nd round pick.

GTripp0012 04-01-2013 10:30 PM

[quote=mooby;1001363]I like to think that D.Hall isn't as bad as the haters say he is and isn't as good as that one guy (was it 44ever?) who called D.Hall a HOFer in his sig said he is, but that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In the absence of any better options atm I am glad he is back, because aside from EJ Biggers we really haven't made any noticeable changes from the terrible secondary we fielded last year. Hall has his ups and his downs, and I doubt that will change this year, but I think he is a better option at a reduced price than any of the other free agents out there this year.[/quote]I don't think that Hall is a particularly tough evaluation for anyone who watches the Skins often, as his strengths and weaknesses are right there on display every single week. The polarization of Hall comes from a vocal minority who are convinced that what you are seeing on a week to week basis is really just someone elses fault, and has been for a decade in three different cities.

The only thing that surprises me about this signing is that I thought the Redskins believed they were better off moving on from Hall at the CB position, but it actually shows the opposite, that they felt they needed the help at the position and were willing to pay in essentially what amounts to future cap space. Since Shanahan and Allen arrived here, they've always errored on the side of overconfidence in their own roster, but this shows that they actually viewed CB as an outright weakness -- and that Hall could help.

GTripp0012 04-01-2013 10:33 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1001370]All things considered, being able to hold the team together is a pretty solid off-season accomplishment.[/quote]Yes.

[quote]I also think this locks in a safety with our 2nd round pick.[/quote]They'll enter with a targeted strategy much like the last two years (2011: WR/RB, 2012: OL), but this signing makes me think that THEY think that corner is the weaker position right now. It's one thing to go for Winfield, it's another to bring Hall back and still be going after Winfield.

HailGreen28 04-01-2013 11:01 PM

Great link diehard, thanks! Glad to have Hall back, warts and all. He's had some great games for us. Is it really one year at $2.25 mil?

As others have said, unbelievable that we may have kept all 22 of our regular starters from last season, despite the unjust cap penalty. (Sad to see Alexander go, wishing him well.)

Dunno if this is true or rumor. If this is really Tandler or a misquote:

9:54 PM EDT
Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN 1m

If Hall is making $2.25 million as reported they will need $1.77 million in cap space to add him. Someone making $480K will drop off the 51

Daseal 04-01-2013 11:06 PM

I'm not a Hall fan, but this was a good move by the front office. We are better off with him than without him. For as many bad plays as DHall has made in DC, he played great after the bye last season. I'll gladly bring back a player that plays that well down the stretch. I didn't feel comfortable with Biggers, Crawford, Minnfield, or a 2nd round pick in that position.

NC_Skins 04-01-2013 11:51 PM

I have no problem with this. I just had a issue paying D. Hall the type of money he was being paid. He played pretty good the last half of the season and was key to our defense being better during that stretch. Let's hope he continues that sort of play.

VegasSkinsFan 04-02-2013 12:00 AM

I'm happy about this. I think you need a guy that gets in people's faces. Pisses me off more often than I like but with him on d and the ragin Haitian on the other side we have that covered.

And as much as people hate on him, he's been a starter in the league for a decade and is still only 29. Not like we signed him to a 4 or 5 year deal.

12thMan 04-02-2013 01:00 AM

You D.Hall hating motherfukcers.

Answer me this, name one memorable game -- without Google -- Brian Orakpo has played? Name a touchdown. A fumble recovery. A ****ing int? Yeah, it's a shitty argument but so is your D.Hall. hate. Eat it.

MonkFan4Life 04-02-2013 01:11 AM

Yeah what he said'

artmonkforhallofamein07 04-02-2013 01:42 AM

I do have a question. Why does this move not rule out Winfield?

How can they afford to add both guys?

GTripp0012 04-02-2013 01:43 AM

Orakpo ending that game on a holding call is pretty memorable.

12th man is an Orakpo hater, so nbd.

Kope 04-02-2013 02:34 AM

If DH plays like he did during second half of last year. Particularly in the maturity department then I am all for this. Hopefully not getting a huge contract will keep his head grounded

mooby 04-02-2013 05:37 AM

[quote=12thMan;1001383]You D.Hall hating motherfukcers.

Answer me this, name one memorable game -- without Google -- Brian Orakpo has played? Name a touchdown. A fumble recovery. A ****ing int? Yeah, it's a shitty argument but so is your D.Hall. hate. Eat it.[/quote]

Rookie year against Oakland, 4 sack game ring a bell? :D Yeah I just went there.

REDSKINS4ever 04-02-2013 06:34 AM

I already knew Hall was coming back. When he didn't re-sign with another team within two weeks after his release, it was a given that the Redskins would bring him back for less money.

Chico23231 04-02-2013 06:42 AM

Ive read this doesnt mean we are out of the Winfield race and will still pursue...that doesnt make sense to me if this is the case. Someone(CB) will have to be cut if we do agree with Winfield, right?

REDSKINS4ever 04-02-2013 06:56 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1001397]Ive read this doesnt mean we are out of the Winfield race and will still pursue...that doesnt make sense to me if this is the case. Someone(CB) will have to be cut if we do agree with Winfield, right?[/quote]

If the Redskins manage to sign Antoine Winfield, you would think Jerome Murphy would be the odd man out. Richard Crawford will make the team regardless and whether or not Chase Minnifield makes the team will largely depend on his knee.

Chico23231 04-02-2013 07:03 AM

Surprised, I guess "knows the system" is a reason to be brought back.

MTK 04-02-2013 08:13 AM

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about this news.

donofriose 04-02-2013 08:14 AM

If he is only getting paid around 2 million its a good deal for the Redskins, that is about what he is worth, not the 8 million he would have been paid. Skins are doing what the great teams do and choosing value instead of overspending.

Rev.SkinsFan 04-02-2013 08:24 AM

[quote=mooby;1001391]Rookie year against Oakland, 4 sack game ring a bell? :D Yeah I just went there.[/quote]

A game against the Raiders with absolutely no playoff implications???? You did just go there lol

Rev.SkinsFan 04-02-2013 08:29 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1001387]Orakpo ending that game on a holding call is pretty memorable.

12th man is an Orakpo hater, so nbd.[/quote]

That's was okay....D Hall completely obliterating Dallas best reciever in a win or go home game for 4th seed and Division crown.....not even close

MTK 04-02-2013 08:31 AM

The legend of Hall lives on.

Chico23231 04-02-2013 08:33 AM

[quote=12thMan;1001383]You D.Hall hating motherfukcers.

Answer me this, name one memorable game -- without Google -- Brian Orakpo has played? Name a touchdown. A fumble recovery. A ****ing int? Yeah, it's a shitty argument but so is your D.Hall. hate. Eat it.[/quote]

goodness. someone gotta D Hall boner

donofriose 04-02-2013 08:36 AM

You know its sad when holding Bryant to 71 yards when he has a broken hand is considered a great achievement by Hall's standards.

donofriose 04-02-2013 08:41 AM

Not to mention Bryant left at the beginning of the 4th quarter due to lower back injury. So he got those yards in 3 quarters...

12thMan 04-02-2013 08:43 AM

LOL.

I was on some Jameson last night and had a few, say, exchanges with Rich Campbell on twitter. He's all Orakpo this and that and D.Hall is status quo or some shit. I'm all, whatever dude, you can have Rak. Give me D.Hall.

I just feel for all the hype, Rak has zero turnovers or game changing plays to show for it. At least none that I can think of. I know it's a D.Hall thread, but the point remains.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-02-2013 08:57 AM

[quote=Mattyk;1001401]I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about this news.[/quote]

I did a little of both.

Chico23231 04-02-2013 08:57 AM

[quote=12thMan;1001431]LOL.

I was on some Jameson last night and had a few, say, exchanges with Rich Campbell on twitter. He's all Orakpo this and that and D.Hall is status quo or some shit. I'm all, whatever dude, you can have Rak. Give me D.Hall.

I just feel for all the hype, Rak has zero turnovers or game changing plays to show for it. At least none that I can think of. I know it's a D.Hall thread, but the point remains.[/quote]

Yeah, gotta disagree on Rak. In coverage and space obviously he is just god aweful. But up on the line he is a force. Just hope he can stay healthy a full year.

But your saying, f*ck the cowbell, you need more D Hall!

donofriose 04-02-2013 08:57 AM

[quote=12thMan;1001431]LOL.

I just feel for all the hype, Rak has zero turnovers or game changing plays to show for it. At least none that I can think of. I know it's a D.Hall thread, but the point remains.[/quote]

So basically according to your standards, only players that create turnovers and make extreme game changing plays like defensive touchdowns are worth anything on a defense?

So Hall is better than...

J.J. Watt
Geno Atkins
NaVorro Bowman
Justin Smith
Cameron Wake
or even Chris Long?

If defensive players were rated only by interceptions, touchdowns, and huge plays I guess these players would not be very valuable then... Orakpo isn't the greatest defender/outside linebacker in the NFL, but I have seen what happens when he is out of the lineup. I would take Orakpo over Hall any day of the week.