Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins 2013 Draft News & Rumors (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=52499)

SmootSmack 04-15-2013 08:53 PM

Redskins 2013 Draft News & Rumors

new thread time

diehardskin2982 04-15-2013 09:47 PM

Re: Redskins 2013 Draft News & Rumors

Any Good Rumors? Woodson would be a good pickup here but its a shame it won't happen...

skinsfaninok 04-15-2013 10:00 PM

I don't see us getting woodson, we have no money

The Goat 04-16-2013 01:11 PM

We officially have baker's disease...no dough.

donofriose 04-16-2013 02:03 PM

Redskins Draft News...

Best fits
Todd McShay provides three great fits for the Redskins' first pick at No. 51.

D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina: Matt Elam or John Cyprien would be a better value if either fell, but Swearinger has the overall skill set to be an upgrade over Reed Doughty.

Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State: He didn't post the best 40 time, but Escobar plays faster than his timed speed and has some of the best ball skills of any player in the entire class.

D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston: Hayden has good man-cover skills and would offer great value should he slide this far down the board.

KI Skins Fan 04-16-2013 02:43 PM

[quote=donofriose;1003526]Redskins Draft News...

Best fits

D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina: Matt Elam or John Cyprien would be a better value if either fell, but Swearinger has the overall skill set to be an upgrade over Reed Doughty.

[B]Gavin Escobar[/B], TE, San Diego State: He didn't post the best 40 time, but Escobar plays faster than his timed speed and has some of the best ball skills of any player in the entire class.

D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston: Hayden has good man-cover skills and would offer great value should he slide this far down the board.[/quote]

A slow tight end for our first pick? Todd is way off the mark on that idea.

The other two are clearly candidates for that slot.

MTK 04-16-2013 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=KI Skins Fan;1003530]A slow tight end for our first pick? Todd is way off the mark on that idea.

The other two are clearly candidates for that slot.[/QUOTE]

With Davis and Paulsen both coming back taking a TE that high doesn't make a lot of sense.

donofriose 04-16-2013 03:21 PM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;1003530]A slow tight end for our first pick? Todd is way off the mark on that idea.

The other two are clearly candidates for that slot.[/quote]

He plays just as fast as Fred Davis. Escobar could be a beast in the NFL, the only negative they have about Escobar is his 40 time, which is almost the same as Davis's, plus 40 times are irrelevant. The other negative is his run blocking (same as Davis coming out). Escobar has better hands than any tight end on the Redskins right now, just as athletic, and bigger than all of them except Paulsen. I wouldn't mind the skins picking Escobar.

Chico23231 04-16-2013 03:31 PM

[quote=donofriose;1003526]Redskins Draft News...

Best fits

Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State: He didn't post the best 40 time, but Escobar plays faster than his timed speed and has some of the best ball skills of any player in the entire class.

D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston: Hayden has good man-cover skills and would offer great value should he slide this far down the board.[/quote]

The last 2 not good. Didnt DJ Hayden almost die on the field? pass.

CultBrennan59 04-16-2013 04:26 PM

I for once agree with McShay. I like all those picks. Escobar is game fast KISkinsfan, and he looks line gronkowski when he was at Arizona.

Yes Chico, DJ Hayden almost died, if he check out medically, which supposedly he has, he's a late first round pick. He's very very fluid when he runs and plays similar to a cromatrie or Ike Taylor. I'm cautious of DJ but if our staff likes him I trust them.

CultBrennan59 04-17-2013 01:47 AM

[url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/4/12/4218608/did-rgiii-and-his-former-baylor-teammate-terrance-williams-spill-the]Did RGIII and his former Baylor teammate Terrance Williams Spill the Beans on a Redskins Draft Plan? - Hogs Haven[/url]

I'm surprised no one has brought this up; I'm sure some of you read HogsHaven

Also heres a good run down on the CBs in this draft by Pat Kirwan

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22084252/nfl-draft-matching-cornerbacks-with-team-defensive-philosophies]NFL Draft: Matching cornerbacks with team defensive philosophies - CBSSports.com[/url]

diehardskin2982 04-17-2013 09:39 AM

^ Im not sure Terrance will be around at 51

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-17-2013 09:59 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1003539]The last 2 not good. [B]Didnt DJ Hayden almost die on the field? pass[/B].[/quote]

Freak accident but yes.

Alvin Walton 04-17-2013 10:07 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;1003614][url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/4/12/4218608/did-rgiii-and-his-former-baylor-teammate-terrance-williams-spill-the]Did RGIII and his former Baylor teammate Terrance Williams Spill the Beans on a Redskins Draft Plan? - Hogs Haven[/url]

I'm surprised no one has brought this up; I'm sure some of you read HogsHaven

Also heres a good run down on the CBs in this draft by Pat Kirwan

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22084252/nfl-draft-matching-cornerbacks-with-team-defensive-philosophies]NFL Draft: Matching cornerbacks with team defensive philosophies - CBSSports.com[/url][/quote]

Looking forward to the meltdown on this board if we take a reciever with our 2nd round pick.

Meks 04-17-2013 12:28 PM

I'd lose it....

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-17-2013 12:31 PM

I wouldn't lose it but it would have to be someone like Tavon Austin or Justin Hunter

CultBrennan59 04-18-2013 01:06 AM

Being that Mike Shanahan:

Loves drafting seniors
Players that have played in a bowl game
Picking guys in non BCS conferences
Loves SMU players
Drafts BPA of need

I think, should he fall to us, our first pick will be Margus Hunt, DE, SMU.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-18-2013 08:09 AM

[url=http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/04/15/fresno-state-safety-phillip-thomas-already-crazy-familair-with-redskins-scheme/]Fresno State SS Phillip Thomas Already ‘Crazy’ Familair With Redskins Scheme « CBS DC[/url]

The Goat 04-18-2013 12:08 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1003846][URL="http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/04/15/fresno-state-safety-phillip-thomas-already-crazy-familair-with-redskins-scheme/"]Fresno State SS Phillip Thomas Already ‘Crazy’ Familair With Redskins Scheme « CBS DC[/URL][/quote]

We don't need a strong safety. We need a monster at FS to shore up the last line of defense.

Chico23231 04-18-2013 12:11 PM

[quote=The Goat;1003907][B]We don't need a strong safety[/B]. We need a monster at FS to shore up the last line of defense.[/quote]

We dont?

CultBrennan59 04-18-2013 12:18 PM

We need a FS, a SS and depth at both those positions Goat

diehardskin2982 04-18-2013 01:11 PM

Phillip Thomas is a FS the article has the position written wrong.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-18-2013 01:31 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1003910]We dont?[/quote]

Apparently Goat is gonna play SS for us.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-18-2013 01:33 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;1003927]Phillip Thomas is a FS the article has the position written wrong.[/quote]

He can play either or but i like him best as a FS

CultBrennan59 04-19-2013 02:16 AM

Couple of things I wanted to mention;

1) This DJ Hayden guy. He's futured in this weeks SI (along with the Marcus Lattimore article) about his heart injury. They have a picture of him with a scar going from his collarbone all the way past his belly button right down the middle where they sliced him open. As if this injury wasn't bad enough luck, the article goes on to say:

[QUOTE]"surgeons operated to stop the bleeding, then started a whole-body blood transfusion. In case the repairs didn't take, doctors kept his chest open overnight. Hayden spent the next three days in ICU, suffering further injury when medicine that was supposed to go into his veins leaked onto his left wrist and hand, causing a burn that required a skin graft."[/QUOTE]

I'll admit, I don't want this guy. He's gone through a major surgery (not your typical ACL kind of surgery, but a heart surgery) for a freak accident that occurs very rarely, with most cases being in car accidents or in the field of battle. Whats to say this dude doesn't have a weak heart or soft veins that could burst next time an NFL RB trucks him? I'm staying away from this guy. Let him be a boom or bust to another team.

2) Mike Mayock had a conference call today. A couple of Redskin bloggers got their questions answered. Emmanuel Benton of proplayerinsiders.com asked Mayock about the 3 safeties whom the redskins may target, Baccari Rambo, Phillip Thomas and Duke Williams. Mayock said that Phillip Thomas is the best of the bunch calling him a 3rd rounder and starting FS, says that he's the best ballhawking FS in the draft. He said Rambo is a 3rd to 4th round guy but is explosive. He said Duke Williams has a medical history and is a late round pick in the 5th to 6th round.

A guy from SonofWashington.com called in and asked Mayock where he sees the Redskins going at 51. Mayock said safety, but if not he said that we could use a WR, CB, or DLineman.

Mayock was asked about Redskin target David Amerson, said that he's tall, stiff (b/c he's tall) and that he thinks he was bad this year because he was always looking to make the big play and reading the QB as opposed to the WR. Said that if he focused on WR he'd be a high pick.

Said that Poyer of Oregon St is better football player than athlete. Likes Gratz from UConn.

And guess who his number 1 CB is? DJ Hayden!

3) Then the thought came to me; what if the Skins got Phillip Thomas, Jordan Poyer, Baccari Rambo, and Duke Williams? I know it sounds impossible, but if you look at Mayock and other websites draft projections for those guys, its very possible, because only Jordan is the more sure fire 2nd rounder. Hell we could trade down and still stay in the 2nd and still have a shot at Poyer. That would be an A+ draft in my book.

KI Skins Fan 04-19-2013 07:22 AM

For DJ Hayden to be able to overcome the life threatening medical problem he had and get himself in position to be drafted by an NFL team is inspiring. Whether or not he comes to D.C., I wish him success in the NFL.

I think that Phillip Thomas would be a perfect fit for us at FS and I think he could start very early in his career. So, if he is a reach at #51, then the reach might be worth it.

Chico23231 04-19-2013 09:00 AM

If we cant get Cyprien, Phillip Thomas is my free safety choice. I dont think Duke Williams is going in the 3rd or 4th, I think he's going 5 round.

Bubba305-ST21- 04-19-2013 12:26 PM

If we cant get Cyprien or any of the top safeties my choice is Swearinger, more physical than Thomas and has good ballhawk skills as well. Thomas cant tackle.

1.Veccaro 2.Cyprien 3. Swearinger (IMO )

The Goat 04-19-2013 12:47 PM

I look at it this way: hopefully Retard Jackson or B Merriwether plays strong S in 2013, but even if they cannot we have Doughty there. Given our (extremely) limited resources it may be a choice between adding a quality SS or FS, and the FS will pay much larger dividends. We desperately need improvement there.

If you ignore our limited resources and just focus on needs, the list grows long. RT, # 1 WR, NT, #1 CB, and yes, two starting safeties. Of those FS and RT are most important, but we haven't brought anybody in to address FS yet. Gotta think it's the priority now.

Chico23231 04-19-2013 01:23 PM

[quote=The Goat;1004267]I look at it this way: hopefully Retard Jackson or B Merriwether plays strong S in 2013, but even if they cannot we have Doughty there. Given our (extremely) limited resources it may be a choice between adding a quality SS or FS, and the FS will pay much larger dividends. We desperately need improvement there.

If you ignore our limited resources and just focus on needs, the list grows long. RT, # 1 WR, NT, #1 CB, and yes, two starting safeties. Of those FS and RT are most important, but we haven't brought anybody in to address FS yet. Gotta think it's the priority now.[/quote]

who's under contract for the SS position next year? If the draft is deep with SS this year, you should probably take one and put him on the bench with plans to give him that opportunity to start next year. I agree FS is a bigger need, but SS isnt far behind.

The Goat 04-19-2013 01:26 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1004277]who's under contract for the SS position next year? If the draft is deep with SS this year, you should probably take one and put him on the bench with plans to give him that opportunity to start next year. I agree FS is a bigger need, but SS isnt far behind.[/quote]

True.

The Goat 04-19-2013 01:44 PM

I hope the defense picks up where it left off last season with these improvements:

1) Better FS performance.
2) Better pass rush with Rak and (hopefully) Jenkins coming into his own.
3) Continued and even improved scheming to create pressure and put the offense on its heals. ILB and DB blitzes are critical to our defense. If we go back to just hoping OLB pressure will do it the defense will take a big step backward. Fletcher is key to the scheming IMO.

I think if we add a starting caliber FS this defense can approach top 10, but it requires a lot of scheming to maximize our talent. We have very solid talent, but not as a tradition 3-4 defense because we still lack the NT or any d lineman who consistently draws in two blockers OR gets into the backfield to create pressure.

53Fan 04-19-2013 02:21 PM

Could'nt agree more Goat. Strong FS play, better pass rush with the kind of disguised blitzing we started playing in the second half of the season and our defense should be much improved. Would'nt be surprised at all to see Jenkins take a big step forward this year.

mredskins 04-19-2013 03:01 PM

Houston CB D.J. Hayden nearly died during a November practice, when a collision tore his inferior vena cava — the vein that carries blood from the lower half of one’s body to the heart.

artmonkforhallofamein07 04-19-2013 04:17 PM

[quote=53Fan;1004285]Could'nt agree more Goat. Strong FS play, better pass rush with the kind of disguised blitzing we started playing in the second half of the season and our defense should be much improved. Would'nt be surprised at all to see Jenkins take a big step forward this year.[/quote]

If Has stays creative with the scheme, the additions of the players coming back from injury, solid draft, and I would assume another couple of additions we will be solid this year on defense.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-19-2013 04:44 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1004277]who's under contract for the SS position next year? If the draft is deep with SS this year, you should probably take one and put him on the bench with plans to give him that opportunity to start next year. I agree FS is a bigger need, but SS isnt far behind.[/quote]

Apparently according to him we don't have a #1 WR either.

CultBrennan59 04-19-2013 05:33 PM

[url=http://wp.me/p14QSB-8nSX]Tyrann Mathieu wanted to skip national championship game | ProFootballTalk[/url]

For all you tyrann mathieu lovers..

GridIron26 04-19-2013 05:48 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;1004314][url=http://wp.me/p14QSB-8nSX]Tyrann Mathieu wanted to skip national championship game | ProFootballTalk[/url]

For all you tyrann mathieu lovers..[/quote]

That is like not wanting to play super bowl game :doh:

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-19-2013 07:39 PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9ZbpV8e30]Josh Boyce 94 Yard TD Catch TCU Horned Frogs vs WVU 2012 - YouTube[/url]

CultBrennan59 04-19-2013 08:44 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1004336][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9ZbpV8e30]Josh Boyce 94 Yard TD Catch TCU Horned Frogs vs WVU 2012 - YouTube[/url][/quote]

Look for his game against Boise state. He dominated Jamar Taylor. He looked like Hakeem Nicks.