Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Overrated/Underrated Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53224)

SirLK26 06-19-2013 01:43 PM

Re: Overrated/Underrated Redskins

[quote=irish;1012574][B]A video does not a HoFer make[/B]. I bet someone could put together a video that makes Gus Ferrote look like he's a HoFer[/quote]

It doesn't?!? Huh. Well, you learn something new every day, I guess.

The video just shows what I've been saying. That Portis is worthy of being recognized as one of the best. If the video isn't enough evidence, look at his stats. If that isn't enough, then there's no hope in me continuing, so I suppose I'll just move on...

Gmanc711 06-19-2013 01:46 PM

Over-rated: Probably Orakpo. But it took me a long time. I just think he might be over rated in the sense that I think some people think he is elite, and he's just really good.

Under-Rated: D. Young. This guy really does it all. For a undrafted linebacker, he has made a hell of an impact. Really like what he brings to the table.

MTK 06-19-2013 01:49 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;1012576]Over-rated: Probably Orakpo. But it took me a long time. I just think he might be over rated in the sense that I think some people think he is elite, and he's just really good.

Under-Rated: D. Young. This guy really does it all. For a undrafted linebacker, he has made a hell of an impact. Really like what he brings to the table.[/quote]

good call on Young

Gmanc711 06-19-2013 01:49 PM

I really think the definition of over-rated and under-rated isn't really defined all that well in general.

When I think of over-rated I think of someone that everyone loves who isn't that good... and under-rated as a guy someone nobody talks about.

I don't think a guy like D. Hall could be considered over-rated, because everyone is all over him already anyways.

MTK 06-19-2013 01:50 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1012569]I dunno about D. Hall... I think most people think he's overrated. Hell, I think D. Hall thinks D. Hall is overrated sometimes.

Personally, I think he's a little (but just very little) underrated but I digress... :bdh:[/quote]

Hall is very polarizing as we know. I think it's pretty split among those that think he's overrated or underrated.

Skinzman 06-19-2013 02:09 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1012579]Hall is very polarizing as we know. I think it's pretty split among those that think he's overrated or underrated.[/quote]

In the day of the salary cap, a lot has to do with what the athlete is making. DHall was overrated in the past due to his salary. He didnt provide 7-8 mil worth of plays. Now that he makes 2.5 mil (or w/e it is now) I think that makes him more about where he should be.

Maybe thats an odd way of looking at overrated/underrated in the day of the salary cap, but thats just my opinion on it.

Overrated: Lavar Arrington and Chip Lohlmiller
Underrated: Rich Milot and Earnest Byner

How Earnest had the career he had and people only focus on the fumble is beyond me. I believe Redskins fans give him his due (which may make him a moot selection since this is Redskins overrated/underrated), but overall most people concentrate on the fumble against Denver. He may not be underrated by Redskins fans, but is clearly underrated by just about everyone else.

Mechanix544 06-19-2013 02:35 PM

all time overrated - Doug Williams and Portis

all time underrated - Gary Clark and Jacoby - (not in the hall? leading blocker for riggins during "The RUN!" gimme a break.....)

MTK 06-19-2013 03:26 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;1012578]I really think the definition of over-rated and under-rated isn't really defined all that well in general.

When I think of over-rated I think of someone that everyone loves who isn't that good... and under-rated as a guy someone nobody talks about.

I don't think a guy like D. Hall could be considered over-rated, because everyone is all over him already anyways.[/quote]

I guess there's different levels of overrated/underrated. Hall is one of those guys that probably falls under either category depending on who you talk to.

CultBrennan59 06-19-2013 03:52 PM

[quote=SirLK26;1012564]Oh, s***. This debate is beginning to remind me of Sonny9TD.

[U]Do you know why Morris broke that record? Because he wasn't the only offensive weapon.[/U] I already said it, but I'll say it again. If Portis had had a team as talented as last year's, instead of the crappy teams he had to put up with, he would have set that record way higher. Morris had a very good QB to take pressure off the running game; Portis was really the only offensive weapon while he was here. He was a much better runner than Morris.

[B]As for the catching? I don't see any way Morris will ever get as many catches or yards as Portis had.[/B]

[B]Blocking? Are you kidding me? Look at the video I posted; Portis was blocking like a beast near the end of the video. And that's part of the reason Portis was injured so much. He did his best on every single play. He put his body on the line every single game.[/B]

Boom. Roasted. I'm not taking anything away from Morris, because he's a very good RB, but as for an all around RB give me Portis any day of the week.

And my "Without a doubt a HOFer" comment, that's just my opinion, an opinion I know many others don't hold.[/quote]

If you read through my previous post, you'll see that I say that Morris isn't most likely never going to be as good or even close to as good as portis was at blocking and catching.

And you are right about Portis not having a QB. But the injuries and his career length don't help his case and for me are a major reason he was overrated (as well as the money he was being paid).

CultBrennan59 06-19-2013 03:53 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;1012578]I really think the definition of over-rated and under-rated isn't really defined all that well in general.

I don't think a guy like D. Hall could be considered over-rated, because everyone is all over him already anyways.[/quote]

Thats exactly how I think of overrated and underrated.

donofriose 06-19-2013 03:56 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;1012594]If you read through my previous post, you'll see that I say that Morris isn't most likely never going to be as good or even close to as good as portis was at blocking and catching.

And you are right about Portis not having a QB. But the injuries and his career length don't help his case and for me are a major reason he was overrated ([B]as well as the money he was being paid)[/B].[/quote]

As well as trading Champ Bailey (who is a hall of famer and the best corner until Revis came along) and a draft pick... I still can't believe the redskins traded the best corner in the NFL at the time for the 3rd or 4th best running back at the time, and that ranking is generous.

SirLK26 06-19-2013 04:05 PM

LOL. There's no hope. What's the world coming to?

MTK 06-19-2013 04:10 PM

[quote=donofriose;1012597]As well as trading Champ Bailey (who is a hall of famer and the best corner until Revis came along) and a draft pick... I still can't believe the redskins traded the best corner in the NFL at the time for the 3rd or 4th best running back at the time, and that ranking is generous.[/quote]

Champ wanted out and wasn't coming back to DC. Skins hands were kinda tied in that regard.

Portis was coming off back to back 1500+ yard seasons and 29 TDs in Denver. He was definitely one of the top backs in the league at that time.

KI Skins Fan 06-19-2013 04:16 PM

[B]When I think of over-rated I think of someone that everyone loves who isn't that good... and under-rated as a guy someone nobody talks about.[/B]

I think in terms of your definitions in when it comes to rating current players.

I don't get much enjoyment out of the all-time part of this game because it's way too skewed in favor of more recent players. Many of those who responded were not yet born when the Over-the-Hill Gang played, some may not have been born in time to witness Gibbs I, and the only guy who saw Sammy Baugh play can't remember seeing him.

I considered naming DHall as both most overrated [U]and[/U] most underrated because, as Matty pointed out, there just doesn't seem to be any middle ground when it comes to fans' opinions of him.

CultBrennan59 06-19-2013 04:16 PM

[quote=donofriose;1012597]As well as trading Champ Bailey (who is a hall of famer and the best corner until Revis came along) and a draft pick... I still can't believe the redskins traded the best corner in the NFL at the time for the 3rd or 4th best running back at the time, and that ranking is generous.[/quote]

Yeah, I mentioned that on the first page. As some people mentioned, Champ Bailey has nothing to do with Portis being overrated. Thats true, but its one of those things you can't NOT mention considering what we had and what we were left with.

Its just like RG3 and Luck, both guys careers are going to be linked even over things they have no control over (drafted). Ditto for Lavernus Coles and Santana Moss (traded).