Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   overthecap.com - Best & Worst Contracts by Team (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53445)

HailGreen28 07-18-2013 08:54 PM

overthecap.com - Best & Worst Contracts by Team

From OverTheCap.com, an interesting look at teams' contracts.

[url=http://overthecap.com/category/best-worst/]Best & Worst Archives - Over the Cap[/url]

The Skins:

Best Contract: Chris Chester

Washington is a difficult team to come up with a best contract for. Their best players are all young and on rookie deals. Most of the veteran contracts are either overpaid or structured in ways to be much more player than team friendly. It’s nothing like it used to be in the past with this team and the bad contracts, where players were paid above top dollar to play out of position, but they still have a way to go before they are considered a franchise people model themselves after. Their cap should be more in order next season once the penalties have been taken into account so from a team perspective we’ll see where there are with these deals, but for now it’s a team missing many good veteran deals.

(continue reading at link)

MTK 07-19-2013 09:12 AM

Re: overthecap.com - Best & Worst Contracts by Team

Next year should be really interesting to see what we do with all the available cap space.

FRPLG 07-19-2013 09:57 AM

I love when "they" talk about good and bad contracts and ignore that there isn't just one way to structure stuff. There are different philosophies.

JoeRedskin 07-19-2013 10:05 AM

[quote=FRPLG;1016039]I love when "they" talk about good and bad contracts and ignore that there isn't just one way to structure stuff. There are different philosophies.[/quote]

"They" also talk out there a** on a lot of other substantive stuff too. From the article:

[quote][B]Fletcher may be cut during the preseason[/B], provided he does not get injured, to save the team $5.5 million in cap room, which they may need due to a tight salary cap situation. Still that means the Redskins will be carrying $5.25 million in cap charges over a 3 year period for a player who should have cost somewhere around $600,000 per year in cap dollars.[/quote]

Fletcher may get cut??? Really? That's a "Stop reading now, this writer knows nothing" kind of quote.

Really, it's like this with most league wide coverage. I am sure these guys do there best but no way you can cover every team in depth. Pretty much any of the regulars on this cite know the team better than most of the generic talking heads.

FRPLG 07-19-2013 10:06 AM

hahahaha "Fletcher may be cut" that is just wow. Maybe RGIII will be too.

FRPLG 07-19-2013 10:08 AM

[quote=Mattyk;1016034]Next year should be really interesting to see what we do with all the available cap space.[/quote]

I hope we use it to lock up some of our younger guys and bring in a good piece at the right spot. Of course how this year goes matters most.

HailGreen28 07-19-2013 11:05 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1016040]"They" also talk out there a** on a lot of other substantive stuff too. From the article: Fletcher may get cut??? Really? That's a "Stop reading now, this writer knows nothing" kind of quote.

Really, it's like this with most league wide coverage. I am sure these guys do there best but no way you can cover every team in depth. Pretty much any of the regulars on this cite know the team better than most of the generic talking heads.[/quote]lol. Yeah, I took that to mean they were just looking at contract numbers vs. player stats.

MTK 07-19-2013 11:09 AM

Highly doubt Fletcher would get cut but his contract is definitely an issue considering his age.

scowan 07-19-2013 11:13 AM

I think Fletcher's contract got him to play this year and not retire. I think he may have walked. He is a coach on the field so he is getting two deals. The player contract and the Defense assistant coach contract.

MTK 07-19-2013 11:19 AM

[quote=scowan;1016055]I think Fletcher's contract got him to play this year and not retire. I think he may have walked. He is a coach on the field so he is getting two deals. The player contract and the Defense assistant coach contract.[/quote]

Thing is where was he going to walk to? At his age his market value was pretty limited. The Skins had the upper hand and probably could have gotten him to come back for a lot less $$ if he was serious about playing. I get that he's valuable to the D and well respected within the locker room, so you kinda toss out concern over his contract. It is what it is though, not a good contract for the team when you look at it from a pure business standpoint considering his age and declining play.

JoeRedskin 07-19-2013 02:37 PM

I get that, when looked at objectively, Fletcher's contract is bad from a business standpoint. On the other hand, however, an objective market analysis does not account for his specific value [I]to the Redskins.[/I] Just b/c he didn't have an high objective value on the market, it doesn't mean his subjective value to us is the same (If driving down the road your car breaks down b/c a $3 widget breaks and a guy stops and says "Why I have an extra widget: $20 or walk on down the road"). Given all the factors (plus and minus): the objective market cost of ILB's, the Skin's cap situation, Fletcher's play on teh field, his age, his leadership and "coach on the field" qualities - Fletch is the neccessary and all but irreplaceable $3.00 widget.

In response to the "Where's he going to walk?" question, I respond with the question "Who we going to get to replace him?" Could we afford a replacement on FA this past year? S.Tulloch and D'qwell Jackson got in the 6-7M/year range this past offseason. Unless you think K. Robinson is going to step up or that Fletch could be replaced by a 2nd (or 3rd) tier ILB from the free agency market, it is simply wrong to look at Fletch's contract value from an objective standpoint.

There are lots of guys who are plug n' play. Fletch is not one of them. He has a high specific value for this team and the contract he got reflects that reality.

MTK 07-19-2013 02:42 PM

I think his value to the team is a little overblown.

Most fans love him and I get that, but he's not irreplaceable especially for $5M/year.

NC_Skins 07-19-2013 02:51 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1016067]I think his value to the team is a little overblown.

Most fans love him and I get that, but he's not irreplaceable especially for $5M/year.[/quote]

I still don't understand why he's even around at the price tag. I mean the Bears cut Urlacher (who's more efficient) with a much much lower tag.

Gary84Clark 07-19-2013 02:54 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1016067]I think his value to the team is a little overblown.

Most fans love him and I get that, but he's not irreplaceable especially for $5M/year.[/quote]

I agree.

MTK 07-19-2013 03:04 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;1016068]I still don't understand why he's even around at the price tag. I mean the Bears cut Urlacher (who's more efficient) with a much much lower tag.[/quote]

Good question, though I don't think Fletcher is as broken down as Urlacher was. Not yet at least.

RGIII 07-20-2013 03:23 AM

Never say never.

Carnage 07-20-2013 08:35 AM

I am fascinated with how the penalties have brought us to discipline and success. Maybe Goodell will turn this whole franchise around. The Ass*&^%.

GTripp0012 07-23-2013 04:32 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1016066]I get that, when looked at objectively, Fletcher's contract is bad from a business standpoint. On the other hand, however, an objective market analysis does not account for his specific value [I]to the Redskins.[/I] Just b/c he didn't have an high objective value on the market, it doesn't mean his subjective value to us is the same (If driving down the road your car breaks down b/c a $3 widget breaks and a guy stops and says "Why I have an extra widget: $20 or walk on down the road"). Given all the factors (plus and minus): the objective market cost of ILB's, the Skin's cap situation, Fletcher's play on teh field, his age, his leadership and "coach on the field" qualities - Fletch is the neccessary and all but irreplaceable $3.00 widget.

In response to the "Where's he going to walk?" question, I respond with the question "Who we going to get to replace him?" Could we afford a replacement on FA this past year? S.Tulloch and D'qwell Jackson got in the 6-7M/year range this past offseason. Unless you think K. Robinson is going to step up or that Fletch could be replaced by a 2nd (or 3rd) tier ILB from the free agency market, it is simply wrong to look at Fletch's contract value from an objective standpoint.

There are lots of guys who are plug n' play. Fletch is not one of them. He has a high specific value for this team and the contract he got reflects that reality.[/quote]It's not realistic for any number of reasons, but if instead of Fletcher @ $5 million, if we instead had Brian Urlacher at $3.5 million, I don't think you are going to be sounding the alarm about how void of leadership our defense is. On the contrary, I think you'd be talking about how great of a job the front office does at finding value.

Here's the real issue with the Redskins linebackers: it's not Fletcher's contract. It's that we're paying Fletcher at the level of performance that we [I]need[/I] (which I think is what you are defending) and hoping that that level of performance is still there at age 38.

I agree that we really need that frontline starter so that we don't stretch the expectations of Riley and Robinson too early, but I also don't think that the wear and tear on Fletcher's body is increasing linearly at this poiint. I think it's increasing exponentially. There will be a point in the near term future where Fletcher simply can't get his body prepared for the rigors of the MLB position in the NFL on a week to week basis.

I'd take him in a playoff run over just about anyone else, but it's the 16 games leading up to it I'm worried about. Fletcher's spot is the most obvious weakness on the roster simply because plan B isn't very well defined, so we're heavily leveraged in a 38 year old. That, I think, is directly a result of the cap penalty, but it is a problem.

GTripp0012 07-23-2013 04:34 AM

[quote=Mattyk;1016056]Thing is where was he going to walk to? At his age his market value was pretty limited. The Skins had the upper hand and probably could have gotten him to come back for a lot less $$ if he was serious about playing. I get that he's valuable to the D and well respected within the locker room, so you kinda toss out concern over his contract. It is what it is though, not a good contract for the team when you look at it from a pure business standpoint considering his age and declining play.[/quote]I thought it may have been a "pay me or retire" situation. Pretty much exactly what the Bears went through with Urlacher, but the front offices of the Bears and Redskins just made two different decisions.

I agree that the Urlacher case shows the market for over-the-hill star MLB just wasn't there.