Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The REAL deciding Factors... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5352)

EternalEnigma21 03-13-2005 03:26 PM

Re: The REAL deciding Factors...

[QUOTE=SKINZ_DOMIN8]:frusty:

IF any of you watched George Michael's "Full Court Press" last night then you heard that even Steve Spurrier told Michael that Ramsey isn't going to make it in this league.

Very damning,forboding,honest comments from someone who knows Quarterbacks.[/QUOTE]

I dont know where you were the last few years, but most people who watched steve spurriers NFL carreer would be in agreeance that he should not in anyway be considered any kind of authority on anything having to do with football on a professional level. I didnt catch the interview, but I do know that Gibbs trusts Ramsey and thinks he can develop his potential and is bringing in a great QB coach to help him along.

Ramseys season stats do not reflect the progress he made towards the end of the season, and the afforementioned td/int ratios are a direct reflection of a conservative offense that simply could not put up touchdowns, and didnt stretch the field at all.

wolfeskins 03-13-2005 03:52 PM

can anyone name a qb that had real success in the nfl after playing in spurrier's college system ? even "ol ball coach" himself was horrible as an nfl qb.

BossHog 03-13-2005 04:12 PM

When amateur sports fans get over the lie that great players are either drafted or signed in free agency, we will all see eye to eye. Players have to be given a opportunity to make a name for themselves. Where many of these athletes benefit from being in a system that works, few are responsible for making that system work. Will the real superstars please stand up? Think of all the great coaching Peyton Manning has had before the NFL, before Tennessee, before 'before'. Maybe Dwight Freeney was born with that wicked spin move. What player would he had been if it wasn't for Dungy? What if Freeney commited to a small division school like Christopher Newport College (hey, I would've done just that but they didn't have a football program then). Get the point? Fans. Stop looking for the 'ready made star. If Ramsey was drafted by NE, he would've won three SBs already. And then you'd be drooling all over Ramsey the FA. The only way to secure stability with our team is to develop players for our own use, whether we trade them, retain them, or not. A great team can lose a great CB like Ty Law and start a lesser known player and still win the SB. A great team can make fans weary by letting go two great starting CBs like Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent and still win thier conference. What's your excuse? :oink:

sportscurmudgeon 03-13-2005 04:23 PM

BossHOg:

I agree with you. Here's the kind of player that drives me nuts:

You see a guy with huge levels of natrual God-given athletic abilities and then he demonstrates that he will take advice from no one. He knows everything he needs to know already and he'll do things the way it's cool for him to do them.

To use your example, suppose Dwight Freeney wouldn't take coaching from Dungy or whomever? Would he be as good as he is? NO. Would he still have those prodigious physical gifts? Yes.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-13-2005 04:28 PM

Most definitely. People need to remain malleable. That's the reason that Taylor didn't start at the beginning of the season.

lifetimeskin 03-13-2005 08:35 PM

Bosshog....straight To My Point. It Is What You Grow Not What You Buy!

TheMalcolmConnection 03-13-2005 09:09 PM

I agree with that to some extent. I like to "buy" up-and-coming talent that doesn't ask too much in the market, but you can see that there are god-given skills that can be molded into the type of player you want.

drew54 03-13-2005 11:09 PM

In my opinion a team should build as much depth through the draft as possible. The reason I belive drafting talent as opposed to signing it is because you get that player at his most vunerable moment, and that player will give you his full effort in practice and on the field because he is thinking about if I make it now, I will be set for life in 4 years when I am a free agent.

Then as the team decides who to keep and who to let go, hopefully by then the player has developed some pride for his team and wants to stay with that team.

As our recently departed players (Smoot and Pierce) they both claimed they wanted to be here, but due to our spending on other teams players in the past our backs were to the wall and we had to let them go. This is how we landed most of our free agents, but its a much smarter to build through the draft so you dont lose those core team players.

monk81 03-14-2005 06:57 PM

And in addition to penalties, let's not CLOCK MANAGEMENT :rolleyes: