Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins @ Titans Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53726)

mredskins 08-12-2013 11:25 AM

Re: Redskins @ Titans Thread

[quote=JoeRedskin;1018552]Also, watched the Hankerson play several times. I see how it could be seen that he was avoiding contact because he ducked his head prior the hit. On the other hand, he didn't go straight to the ground, try to juke out the way, or just completely give himself up. IMO, I still see a guy who, turned upfield after a catch and lowered his shoulder before being hit by two guys with just as much momentum as him. If he comes in high, he gets stood up, knocked back and possibly stripped of the ball. It was a bang-bang play and basic physics was working against him.

Could he have been more "instinctual" about where the markers and defenders were? Maybe. Also, I saw Shanny come over to him but nothing to indicate a tongue lashing. From what I saw, he could have said something like "Nice try" or "Next time try and turn it up quicker" or any number of similar statements.

At the end of the day, I just think you may be reading too much into this one play and that it's one of those "reasonable people" can differ on.[/quote]

After re-watching I agree with you. Really wasn't much more he could have done on that play.

jdlea 08-12-2013 11:34 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1018552]Also, watched the Hankerson play several times. I see how it could be seen that he was avoiding contact because he ducked his head prior the hit. On the other hand, he didn't go straight to the ground, try to juke out the way, or just completely give himself up. IMO, I still see a guy who, turned upfield after a catch and lowered his shoulder before being hit by two guys with just as much momentum as him. If he comes in high, he gets stood up, knocked back and possibly stripped of the ball. It was a bang-bang play and basic physics was working against him.

Could he have been more "instinctual" about where the markers and defenders were? Maybe. Also, I saw Shanny come over to him but nothing to indicate a tongue lashing. From what I saw, he could have said something like "Nice try" or "Next time try and turn it up quicker" or any number of similar statements.

At the end of the day, I just think you may be reading too much into this one play and that it's one of those "reasonable people" can differ on.[/quote]

Yeah, after rewatching, I can't fault him too much. I still think he could have made it, but he didn't. Whatever.

For what it's worth, if you're battling to start/stay on a team/move up the depth chart, though, I think you probably need to make plays like that

MTK 08-12-2013 11:39 AM

I think he made up for it with the leap for the TD. Can't question his effort on that one.

dmek25 08-12-2013 02:12 PM

but i think it says something that we are even having this discussion( about effort)

MTK 08-12-2013 02:22 PM

Eh, small sample of plays. First preseason game, etc. Can't get too worked up about anything.

FRPLG 08-12-2013 03:27 PM

A. Matty is right.
B. I think the effort discussion is contrived. How much effort a guy, who is close to locked on the roster, gave to get a first down in the first quarter of a pre-season game is irrelevant. I'm not sure I have ever seen effort (game wise) as his problem. It's been focus.