Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who would you pick in the first round? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5473)

RedskinPete 03-19-2005 04:37 AM

Who would you pick in the first round?

I don't care about moving up ,down or around for that matter. If you could take one guy in the first round of the NFL 2005 draft who would it be and why?

Paintrain 03-19-2005 08:09 AM

Re: Who would you pick in the first round?

Mike Williams.. The guy is just a ball magnet and he is virtually guaranteed points in the redzone.. Either he will get up and make the catch or he will draw safety help that will free up another WR, Cooley or Portis out of the backfield.. I don't think you can get caught up in his 40 time, the guy is just a bonafide playmaker.

BossHog 03-19-2005 08:58 AM

Derrick Johnson. There's no doubt. He's going to be good. Obvisiously, we don't need him. :oink:

wolfeskins 03-19-2005 08:59 AM

too me , it's a toss up between williams and pac-man. williams is the big threat that the skins need but the skins could also use a young cb, he looks really good and could possibly end up starting the season as the skins # 2 cb.

dirtbag2112 03-19-2005 09:01 AM

I would take Braylon Edwards with Mike Williams at a close second. they're both sick.

Skinsfanatic 03-19-2005 09:14 AM

Alex Smith. OK, we can't get him, and we don't really need him, but I think he is going to be one hell of a QB.

That Guy 03-19-2005 09:51 AM

mike williams, watched some tape, he's better at catching one-handed then most people using two...

madisonwm 03-19-2005 11:11 AM

Braylon Edwards......No question about it.

Defensewins 03-19-2005 11:39 AM

A top LB or CB.
I have always believed that with your top you should always pick the best player available regardless of position. However if there are a handful of player that are all even when it is your turn to pick - pick defense.

Defense wins championships, and history shows 99% of all Superbowl winners had (#1) strong defenses and (#2) balanced offenses. The St. Louis Rams might be the only exception, however the year they won the superbowl, statistically their defense was #1 against the run and #2 over all. So their defense was good that year, they just did not scare anyone. Their offense did scare peope and took all the headlines.
Look at the two strongest teams in 2004 the Patriots and the Eagles. They traditionally draft defense with their higher picks. The Patriots in 2004, four out their first five picks were defense players.
Look at Redskins terrible draft history since Snyder and Puppet Boy Cerrato took over. Other than 2004 Sean Taylor (defense- look how much Taylor improved our team) all of other high picks were offense:

1 Sean Taylor* S Miami (FL)
3 Chris Cooley TE Utah St.
5 Mark Wilson OT California
6 Jim Molinaro OT Notre Dame

2 Taylor Jacobs Florida WR
3 Derrick Dockery Texas G
7 Gibran Hamdan Indiana QB

1 Patrick Ramsey Tulane QB
2 Ladell Betts Iowa RB
3 Rashad Bauman Oregon DB
3 Cliff Russell Utah WR

You can always pick up good, cheap offensive players during the offseason cap casualty cuts. However good/young/cheap defensive players are not easy to find and when you do find them they are expensive.
WR Williams would be a luxory, we NEED a LB, CB and strong safety.

Draft Defense!
Snyder, the press and fantasy footballers love offense.

backrow 03-19-2005 11:45 AM

Create a Poll

I suggest you take the top eight guys from the various Mocks listed over on HailRedskins.com, then create a poll here.

Then, next week, take the top four vote getters from our poll this coming week, and create a second poll.

Then, a third poll the following week! We should be able to narrow it down to who the Redskins will actually pick! I've thought about this for a couple of days, but don't have the time to set up the poll, and extract the top eight guys from the Mocks. I can only tell you Pac Man seems to have the "Total" edge right now if my math is correct. But you have to remember, these are only "Mocking", and may have no bearing on actual results on Draft day!

randyredskin 03-19-2005 11:58 AM

Heath Miller The guy is going to be a pro-bowl caliber player in no time. He is beast :headbange

Monksdown 03-19-2005 12:52 PM

Espn disagrees with that statement. They said that he will definitely start eventually (or if pressed, this year) for teams. He will never make the Pro Bowl.

Monksdown 03-19-2005 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]A top LB or CB.
I have always believed that with your top you should always pick the best player available regardless of position. However if there are a handful of player that are all even when it is your turn to pick - pick defense.

Defense wins championships, and history shows 99% of all Superbowl winners had (#1) strong defenses and (#2) balanced offenses. The St. Louis Rams might be the only exception, however the year they won the superbowl, statistically their defense was #1 against the run and #2 over all. So their defense was good that year, they just did not scare anyone. Their offense did scare peope and took all the headlines.
Look at the two strongest teams in 2004 the Patriots and the Eagles. They traditionally draft defense with their higher picks. The Patriots in 2004, four out their first five picks were defense players.
Look at Redskins terrible draft history since Snyder and Puppet Boy Cerrato took over. Other than 2004 Sean Taylor (defense- look how much Taylor improved our team) all of other high picks were offense:

1 Sean Taylor* S Miami (FL)
3 Chris Cooley TE Utah St.
5 Mark Wilson OT California
6 Jim Molinaro OT Notre Dame

2 Taylor Jacobs Florida WR
3 Derrick Dockery Texas G
7 Gibran Hamdan Indiana QB

1 Patrick Ramsey Tulane QB
2 Ladell Betts Iowa RB
3 Rashad Bauman Oregon DB
3 Cliff Russell Utah WR

You can always pick up good, cheap offensive players during the offseason cap casualty cuts. However good/young/cheap defensive players are not easy to find and when you do find them they are expensive.
WR Williams would be a luxory, we NEED a LB, CB and strong safety.

Draft Defense!
Snyder, the press and fantasy footballers love offense.[/QUOTE]
I dont see how we need a lb. But I do think we could use a cornerback. But our offense just flat sucks.

offiss 03-19-2005 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy]mike williams, watched some tape, he's better at catching one-handed then most people using two...[/QUOTE]

He could catch the ball with his teeth better than Gardner!

offiss 03-19-2005 01:36 PM

I say Rolle, but only if we know we are going to get Vincent Jackson in the second rd., but if we have to pick at the 9 spot I would have to go with William's, or Edward's if avail.