Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   On the Hole(s)... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5514)

BossHog 03-22-2005 11:38 AM

On the Hole(s)...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm stressed out. I've accepted the fact that no one knows for sure who we'll draft come draft day. Would someone please tell me at what positions could we use added depth or upgrade? Some will say we have very few holes and we just need that one player who could start and make a difference. Others vow to believe that we need more lower round picks solely for backup roles. Which is it? I feel like writing a letter to dear Abbey. From Sulking 'Skinsfan... :oink:

Daseal 03-22-2005 11:45 AM

Re: On the Hole(s)...

I think if you have a top 10 pick you pick talent. If DJ fell to us at 9, I would consider them trying to pick him up. Even though we're loaded at LB he's probably the best player in the draft. That said for a team in the state we are it may be better to go WR or CB whichever is best available. Whoever we draft we shouldn't expect to make a difference right away. I say if we keep what we have we go WR, CB in 1/3 then just look for backup D/O line, blocking TE. Those are really the only holes I see. WR, CB, TE, Dline in that order. I say we stay put and get the best player we can, who might be Mike Williams/Pac Man.

Island Boy 03-22-2005 11:52 AM

TRADE away the pick and get more!!!!!!

Youll find more Gibbs type players later on.

Daseal 03-22-2005 11:54 AM

Too bad all those "Gibbs type players" will ride the bench or get cut before the season starts. Remember, we have a lot of core guys already and only a 53 man roster come the season.

SKINZ_DOMIN8 03-22-2005 11:55 AM

just so long as we dump the rotting pile of elephant dung that is Gardner before draft day .........that would be an exceptional draft in and of itself

SKINSnCANES 03-22-2005 11:56 AM

we have the 9th pick, we have the opportunity to pick an immediate starter. Id be very surprised if we didnt take Rolle if he was available, and he would be nickel corner during preseason while he earns his stripes. I dont see us picking a receiverr unless Williams falls.

That Guy 03-22-2005 12:01 PM

our first pick is probably williams or jones, but we don't have any gaping holes... Our WR corp is still weak on the #1 spot, though its very strong from 2-5 or so... CB isnt a real need other than the fact that we don't have a 4th high level CB for injury insurance (maybe lott or brown will prove to be that guy), but the real reason to get a CB would be that our #1 and 2 are past 30 now....

LB is deep, though a playmaker for the middle could prove usesful... but we could honestly use playmakers anywhere but FS and OLB (and RB and on the Oline minus guard) right now, though none are really needed (except williams ;))

the only real hole is blocking TE, but you can get those in the 5th round if you want... though finding a great one may be hard since there aren't nearly as many in college as there were in the 80s, we could still find a decent quality one...

Island Boy 03-22-2005 12:04 PM

Who says they will ride the bench? With Gibbs the competition is always open. I feel comfortable with our DB's now, and we could even pick up one later in the draft like Bartell. Then get depth for our O-Line and D-Line.

Daseal 03-22-2005 12:14 PM

Always open eh? Someone didn't watch the first 8 games of the season and who we had quarterbacking.

Don't you think that late round talent was more the genius of the personel director than Gibbs? He was able to plug them into an already succesfull team, which is all they needed to shine!

ChounsMan 03-22-2005 12:15 PM

I'd have to say CB & DE/DT. WR is a need for depth, but I'm willing to live with a later round pick.

CB - Antrel Rolle SR 6-1/202/- Miami (Fl) or Adam Jones JR 5-11/185/4.50 West Virginia (One of these guys will be available at #9.)

DE/DT - Travis Johnson SR 6-5/286/- Florida State, Shaun Cody SR 6-3.5/290/- USC, Erasmus James SR 6-4/270/- Wisconsin, or Dan Cody SR 6-5/265/- Oklahoma

WR - Reggie Brown SR 6-2/197/- Georgia, J.R. Russell SR 6-3/205/4.55 Louisville, or Chauncey Stovall SR 6-2/215/4.55 Florida State

BossHog 03-22-2005 12:16 PM

That's the thing. If we just have to sit back and draft the best player available what if let's say Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith is available at #9 do we pick him? For those who are quick to say 'no' because we have young gun Ramsey and Brunell aren't we equally deep at other positions? Why draft another LB, OL, DB, or WR? :oink:

ChounsMan 03-22-2005 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Island Boy]TRADE away the pick and get more!!!!!!

Youll find more Gibbs type players later on.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Lavar, Portis, & company that is counting on the front office to draft some talent to help now!!!

Not a wise choice if you ask me. Take the best available player at #9 that will best impact the team now & draft later picks to add depth in years to come.

Daseal 03-22-2005 12:23 PM

I doubt we'll get either, but you have to look at the direction of your team. Ramsey has had too much drama, let him feel comfortable going into a season. I feel you have to take the top available talent in whatever poistions you have any sort of need. If you have Peyton, Harrison, and Wayne, you probably aren't going to draft a QB or a WR even if they're great. Simply because it doesn't help your team. The draft is where you accumulate talent, this is true. However at any given time nearly every team has 3-5 holes. Take the best player available at those positions unless there's a huge gap between that player and a player at another position. No player seems like a top round lock to me like last year. Williams maybe. DB we have two old starters, WRs we don't have a clear #1, LB we're fine at I only used DJ because he's probably the best player in the draft, and OL most people agree we're fine at.

You have to draft for talent but use your head a little bit. Don't draft a talented guy to sit on your bench for five years.

Island Boy 03-22-2005 12:24 PM

Oh I saw noodle arms stink up the joint the first 8 games!!! But it didnt take him to long after that to pull him. And some of the cuts and decisions he has made since then has shown that he only wants to find those quality Gibbs type players on his team.

Schneed10 03-22-2005 12:25 PM

I am in the camp that believes there are no immediate needs, no gaping holes in the roster as it is currently comprised.

At CB, I love Springs and I like Walt Harris a lot. Harris was a former 1st round pick and started in this league for like 6 or 7 years, so he's fine. Springs was healthy all last year, but we must remember that he has been injury prone during his career, and we would be wise to grab some talent at CB. Plus, these two starters are getting older, and we'll need to replace them someday. I think priority one for that 9th selection has to be Rolle or Pac Man. The rookie wouldn't start, he'd probably be nickel. But he'd be there if we need him this year, and he'll be ready when the old guys fade away.

Other than that, I don't see pressing needs, so my second choice for the 9th selection is to trade it down for more picks.

My third choice would be to select Mike Williams or Troy Williamson at #9. I don't think we need a WR real bad, but I'm really really high on both of these guys. It's important to remember that rookie WRs rarely make an impact and usually need 3 years to develop. But Patten is 30, and Jacobs looks like he could develop into a nice player but I don't see him becoming a star. Drafting one of these WRs wouldn't help us in the near term, but we might have a star on our hands in the longer term, so I'd be fine with this scenario.

Other needs that I see are a blocking TE, hopefully with the added ability to catch passes. If they trade down, I'd love to see Heath Miller. I know a number of people disagree with me there, but I think speedy WRs on the outside, Cooley settling into zones as a safety valve, and Miller threatening the deeper middle would be a well-balanced attack. But if we don't get Miller, we at least need a bulldozing blocker at TE.

I think Lemar Marshall or Mike Barrow will come through at LB, no need there in my opinion.

Timmy H may not be back, so a 3rd string QB is a need.

Other than that, I think we're free to take best players available.