Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Green Calling Out Griffin as a Leader (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55232)

skinsguy 11-15-2013 04:09 PM

Re: Green Calling Out Griffin as a Leader

Winning makes all of this go away. Plain and simple.

HailGreen28 11-15-2013 04:13 PM

"Leadership is overrated." -- Jeff George in 2001

MTK 11-15-2013 04:14 PM

[quote=skinsguy;1041072]Winning makes all of this go away. Plain and simple.[/quote]

True. Nobody was questioning Griffin last year.

When it rains it pours.

donofriose 11-15-2013 04:19 PM

[quote=skinsguy;1041072]Winning makes all of this go away. Plain and simple.[/quote]

Yea just look at Cam Newton...

All of a sudden those leadership and immaturity questions vanished once the Panthers started winning.

Schneed10 11-15-2013 04:25 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1041071]So.. You're looking for personal accountability? That seems like it needs to start from the coaches down.

I can't remember the last fiery coach/player the Redskins had. And I don't mean stupidly fiery like D. Hall can be but someone who played/coached the entire game with passion. Like you could look in their face and tell that losing was killing them.[/quote]

Absolutely, the coach is supposed to set that tone. It's my one beef with Shanahan. Excellent X and O guy. Good manager of men. Great eye for offensive talent.

But damn his teams have discipline problems. And that's not on Griffin, not at all. The QB needs to be even keel. He can't get all up in D Hall's face for a personal foul penalty, because the QB position depends upon a clear mind to read defenses and avoid going "on tilt".

Ultimately I want to see somebody bitch slap the next person who gets a personal foul. I don't care if it's a player or a coach (even though it should be a coach). The penalties are KILLING me and I just want somebody to lay down the law.

Gibbs wouldn't have stood for it. Maybe he wouldn't have embarrassed the guy publicly on the sideline. But during the week the offender would have been so guilty about letting him down that he'd never think twice of doing it again.

Schneed10 11-15-2013 04:30 PM

And defensive depth is the one thing keeping this team from winning.

It's not Griffin's fault at all. The biggest problem is our secondary has no ability to match up with anybody. We have D Hall, who can keep a stud WR in check somewhat. Other than that, they get victimized. Leadership doesn't help there.

Leadership is not the problem. I just want somebody to stand up and say I'm not dealing with these personal fouls anymore.

"Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I."

- Maynard James Keenan

SmootSmack 11-15-2013 04:36 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1041061]I mean, as baseless as the comments may seem, I would assume these oldheads do know what true leadership is. Fletch IS in the locker room, so I give him a little more credibility.

I'm not saying RG3 doesn't have leadership qualities, but it is food for thought.[/quote]

You can't say the QB of your team isn't a leader out in public like that. At least you shouldn't

DynamiteRave 11-15-2013 05:47 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;1041081]You can't say the QB of your team isn't a leader out in public like that. At least you shouldn't[/quote]

So you think Fletch threw him under the bus?

skinsfan69 11-15-2013 07:27 PM

Can we just wins some damn games so everyone shuts the hell up?

SolidSnake84 11-15-2013 09:13 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;1041073]"Leadership is overrated." -- Jeff George in 2001[/quote]

That was indeed a famous quote by Jeff George that made alot of mouths drop at the time, but looking back on that, i think that may have been taken out of context.

Devil's advocate here - What good is leadership if the team still sucks and can't win games? What is RG3 expected to do? I mean honestly. Does he go to Snyder and tell him the coaches suck and there are a bunch of bums on defense?

I agree with others who say winning cures all of this....

MTK 11-15-2013 09:14 PM

Look at the situation right now with the Steelers and Big Ben. A down year and it all goes to hell and the media runs wild with any rumor they can get their hands on. Winning cures all.

Hog1 11-15-2013 09:56 PM

I have to say, I do not like to see Robert called out. Every interview, every action on the field bespeaks a confident man totally devoted to his job and his team. He has not backed away from...Anything the team has asked him to do(that I know of). Youth is not a crime and he will only enhance these attributes as he matures........he is a bright dude.
However, I do think this team has an identity......culture.....dedication problem. Perhaps the calling out thing by DG will get some peoples attention?
This team is sloppy, to often looks unprepared, accepts drive killer catastrophic penalties, has absurd clock management issues, ETC!!! These are not the attributes of a well prepared team and I put that on Mike. There are naturally others but the winning culture begins at home...time to do some of that coaching shit, Mike.......

MTK 11-15-2013 11:38 PM

[url=http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/2873/green-wrong-on-rg-iii-fletcher]Darrell Green wrong on RG III, London Fletcher - ESPN[/url]

Chief X_Phackter 11-16-2013 12:03 AM

DG = my all time favorite.

I don't know how close to the team DG is at this point, but this doesn't shock me. I mean RGIII even said himself late last year that he still needs to prove himself and (paraphrasing) doesn't really consider himself the leader. I don't see how that would have changed to this point after the injury, not participating with the team all offseason, preseason...and getting off to this start.

Fletcher, having obviously lost a step, I am sure he is respected throughout the locker room, but more as an elder statesman type guy than team leader.

Who does that leave? Trent Williams is the only other offensive player I can even think of stepping up...one year removed from suspension for smoking a dooby? On defense - who? DeAngelo Hall, Orakpo, Kerrigan maybe?

Yeah, this team probably does lack leadership. It's not something I'm going to argue given the amount of untimely, idiotic 15 yard penalties this team has committed on O, D and ST, pretty much all year. Not to mention they haven't managed to put together a four quarter stretch of solid football since week 16 of last year.

MTK 11-16-2013 09:47 AM

Green admitted he's not close to the team and it was speculation on his part.