Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Santana Moss at $5+ Million Per Season? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5527)

TheMalcolmConnection 03-23-2005 01:01 PM

Re: Santana Moss at $5+ Million Per Season?

I also agree Moss won't be here in a few years, especially if we sign Williams.

SmootSmack 03-23-2005 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]It's definately true that Gibbs did a FANTASTIC job for the most part last season in the free agency/draft additions to the team. BUT, it's not last season's moves were questioning; it's this season's moves - letting Coles, Smoot, and Pierce go while supposedly signing Moss to huge contract.

I don't think we concentrate on the negative too much. Most Warpathers defends Gibbs on virtually every move he makes. IMHO it just seems that we concentrate on the negative because criticism of Gibbs garners so much attention (anger).[/QUOTE]

But a lot of people last year said things like "Griffin is an underachiever" "Springs is injury prone" "We should have drafted KW II over Taylor" and they turned out ok. So isn't it a bit early to pass judgment on this off-season's moves so soon?

celts32 03-23-2005 01:43 PM

Why do the Redskins seem to negotiate against themselves? The market for Moss is very lukewarm at best. His own team saw him as a #3 WR, yet the Skins will pay him 5 mil a season? You can tell by the overall leaguewide reaction to the coles/moss trade that the league as a whole does not have a lot of respect for Moss. Even with Coles bad foot the perception was that the Jets got the better of the trade. So how in the world would the redskins hand Moss a contract that is far above his market value? Then on the other hand they play hard ball with two of their own players when there is a market for them in the league. Puzzling...

SkinsRock 03-23-2005 01:57 PM

Ok, from how I understand it, Gibbs is involved in the players the team chooses to pursue, but the money side is not handled by Gibbs. It is primarily handled by Snyder in conjunction with the cap expert. Not to say that Gibbs isn't involved, but he isn't really the one to blame (or praise) when it comes to contracts. Snyder pretty much made himself a billionaire from nothing, so I'm sure he knows about how to manage money.
If I hear one more person say "we need a GM" I think I'm gonna puke...oh wait... :vomit-smi

As for this [I]rumoured [/I] contract for Moss, I agree that it is too rich for what he has shown, especially since he is already on the team, but I do agree with locking him up long-term. Question: How many big seasons (1000+ yards) did Coles have when we took him from the Jets? ONE! But then again, I realize we had to give him a big contract to keep the Jets from matching....and we already have Moss...

SkinsRock 03-23-2005 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I also agree Moss won't be here in a few years, especially if we sign Williams.[/QUOTE]
Prediction: The Redskins will NOT draft a WR before the third or fourth round.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-23-2005 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]But a lot of people last year said things like "Griffin is an underachiever" "Springs is injury prone" "We should have drafted KW II over Taylor" and they turned out ok. So isn't it a bit early to pass judgment on this off-season's moves so soon?[/QUOTE]

I, for one, NEVER said the 2004 offseason moves were bad. I thought then and still think now Gibbs did a hell of a job in free agency and the draft. But, I do recall, as you pointed out, that a few people were concerned about Griffin and Springs.

As for passing judgment on this offseason's moves, it is a bit early. But, even you were sad to see Smoot go. Plus, I highly doubt it's too early to say we overpaid for Moss. Moss could turn out to be a great wideout (which I doubt), but the market right now (IMHO) doesn't warrant giving him a $10 million signing bonus. Plaxico got a $8 million signing bonus. In my mind, the market for Plaxico (even though it was sluggish) was much more intense than any market would have been more Moss.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-23-2005 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock]Prediction: The Redskins will NOT draft a WR before the third or fourth round.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think the 'Skins will go for a CB with their top pick.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-23-2005 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock] Question: How many big seasons (1000+ yards) did Coles have when we took him from the Jets? ONE! But then again, I realize we had to give him a big contract to keep the Jets from matching....and we already have Moss...[/QUOTE]

Coles' numbers and durability were much more solid when we signed him than Moss' are now.

Moreover, as of now, Coles has started 67 games (38 more than Moss), caught 342 passes (192 more than Moss) for 4656 yards (2,240 more than Moss), 20 TDs (1 more than Moss), and 70 passes (31 more than Moss) for 20 yards or more.

Both Moss and Coles wanted out of their organizations. Given the above stats, who got the better end of the deal?

TheMalcolmConnection 03-23-2005 02:23 PM

I'd be fine with a CB. I just think that if Williams is available we should take him.

SkinsRock 03-23-2005 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]Coles' numbers and durability were much more solid when we signed him than Moss' are now.

Moreover, as of now, Coles has started 67 games (38 more than Moss), caught 342 passes (192 more than Moss) for 4656 yards (2,240 more than Moss), 20 TDs (1 more than Moss), and 70 passes (31 more than Moss) for 20 yards or more.

Both Moss and Coles wanted out of their organizations. Given the above stats, who got the better end of the deal?[/QUOTE]
Well Coles basically got two rich contracts within two years, so I'd say Coles. If you're talking about which team, that question cannot be answered until after this coming season.