Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Unequivocally Believe RG3 Is Our Franchise QB? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55291)

calia 11-19-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Do You Unequivocally Believe RG3 Is Our Franchise QB?

[quote=scowan;1042414]Wasn't last year Cam Newtons 2nd year? Cam threw for 3,869 yards, with 19 TD and 12 INTs. He rushed for 741 yards and 8 TDs and his team went 7-9.

Griffin through 10 games has thrown for 2,714 yards, with 14 TD and 10 INTs. He has rushed for 345 yards. Griffin is really on the same pace as Cam, and Cam was never coming back from a major knee injury. Griffin is playing worse than Luck and Wilson right now, [B]but I would argue those teams have a better defense than the Redskins[/B].

There are only a handful of guys I might take over RG3, but many of those guys are old and won't be around 3-4 years from now.

I would definitley take RG3 over Cam and Kaepernick.[/quote]

You need not argue this. With anyone.

On RGIII, I think the reality is that this year, unlike last year, he has been trying to develop as a pocket passer and we do not have an O-line that can establish and hold a pocket. They're a run blocking line (which they do well -- our rushing yards, especially for a team that has fallen behind early in just about every game this year -- speak to that). But we're asking RGIII to consistently be a good pocket passer with no pocket and basically two receivers in Garcon and Reed (Hankerson is hit or miss, Robinson shows up about every third game for 1 or 2 catches, Moss's production is way down, and Davis and now Wilson cannot see the field; oh, and for some reason, Kyle doesn't want to use Helu as a receiver, even though he's been strong as a receiver out of the backfield -- I cannot understand that).

So that all this, coupled with coming of a knee injury and the fact that everyone is keying on his desire to run, should have predictably led to some regression. Now, to be clear, he's also not making some throws he ought to make -- throws that last year he seemed to make fairly routinely. He has stretches where he's very accurate, but has slumps within games (1st 3 Qs v. Philly) or entire games (Minnesota) that we didn't see last year,

He needs (a) better talent around him, (b) better coaching -- particularly on decision-making, and (c) time to develop into the franschise QB that I am convinced he can be. He has the physical tools, and I think that the backslide this year aside, I think he has the mental tools to do it. So my answer is definitely yes, but every franschise QB needs a supporting cast. Look at Tom Brady -- he has no supporting cast and his numbers are way down. And he's about as consistently good as they come in this league.

SmootSmack 11-19-2013 02:15 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1042418]No.

Just to be difficult.[/quote]

Strong post. Agree 100%

skinsfaninok 11-19-2013 02:29 PM

It's amazing that a yr after this kid was our "savior" that now many people are questioning if he is even any good..

Bucket 11-19-2013 02:41 PM

If we march down and score yesterday to tie it up. This thread isn't even made?

We were 3rd n 25 because of our bone head penalties and he found a way to march down the field and give us a chance to win.

The kid is a baller, and he works hard. He's currently got no help on defense, and one of his biggest playmakers went out early.

He has a long road to finish the season, and I already know this team has more heart and character than any team in the NFL. I'm just hoping we can put it together because people's jobs are on the line.

NC_Skins 11-19-2013 02:53 PM

I believe Robert has the tools, the intelligence to be a franchise QB if he's put in a position to do so. My only gripe with Robert is his lack of awareness to what he says to the media. I would almost rather the team put a gag on him. It causes way too much drama that this team simply doesn't need. This isn't just about this past episode, this is over the course of his tenure since drafted.

artmonkforhallofamein07 11-19-2013 03:57 PM

Yes, does anyone even remember how many times he was named NFC offensive player of the week last year? He is amazing and I don't by all this he will never be the same BS.

He has had his struggles this season for sure and I for one blame the injury and an offseason spent rehabbing. Give this kid a full healthy offseason and we will once again see the rookie who set the league on fire last year.

MTK 11-19-2013 04:02 PM

Give the guy a full offseason where he can dedicate himself to developing rather than rehabbing and I guarantee we'll see a much improved QB next year. Of course the team around him also needs to improve needless to say.

skinsfaninok 11-19-2013 04:07 PM

Yeah we need some more Lineman and another WR as well

FRPLG 11-19-2013 04:09 PM

Yes. Next question.

davy 11-19-2013 05:06 PM

"Do You Unequivocally Believe RG3 Is Our Franchise QB?"

No.

I understand that with the injury and the missed offseason he is still, in practical terms a rookie.

My concern is with his ego. He appears to believe he knows it all despite blindingly obvious evidence to the contrary. Is it possible to improve significantly when you don't believe you need to?

That is my concern.

SouperMeister 11-19-2013 05:15 PM

Unequivocally.

ethat001 11-19-2013 05:17 PM

"Do You Unequivocally Believe RG3 Is Our Franchise QB?"

No. Just because unequivocal is such a strong word.

I'd say:
1) I'm 99% sure of his talents / potential.
2) I'm 100% sure he should be our QB and we should fully support him.
3) I'm 33% sure that he's going to stay consistently healthy for the next 15 years.

I think the sky is NOT falling. I think we should fully support our QB through his struggles as he develops. I don't think we should give up in the entire team / coach next year. I think with some new acquisitions we could be the Kansas City Chiefs for next year, worst-to-first. And I hope RG3 regains his composure talking to the media, and starts to get along again with his coach.

We need RG3 to be a leader again, he was inspirational last year -- but has lost it. Until he does this, the other players will not play to their full potential.

DynamiteRave 11-19-2013 05:48 PM

[quote=davy;1042517]"Do You Unequivocally Believe RG3 Is Our Franchise QB?"

No.

I understand that with the injury and the missed offseason he is still, in practical terms a rookie.

My concern is with his ego. He appears to believe he knows it all despite blindingly obvious evidence to the contrary. Is it possible to improve significantly when you don't believe you need to?

That is my concern.[/quote]

So you think his ego is going to be his downfall?

I think it's more confidence than ego. I thought him getting nailed all last season and then injured last year brought him more down to Earth. I think he has a reason to have an ego; the skills are there the play is not.

It's kinda like trying to build an item from Ikea; you've got all the pieces, now you just have to figure out how to put it all together. But once you've got it together you can stand back and marvel.

Right now this team is an item from Ikea, that's missing a few screws and a wheel; capable of functioning but obviously very broken.

SolidSnake84 11-19-2013 05:58 PM

He has the best chance of anybody that has been here the last 15 years, but as of right now, no, I don't think so.

Some of these same people on here saying "YES ABSOLUTLEY" also said there was no doubt that Jason Campbell was heading to Canton one day, after winning 6 superbowls with the Redskins, a for-sure 1st ballot hall of famer...

I want to take the wait and see approach for once. Plenty of NFL "busts" have had one good year.

I think RG3 will be okay but we need to wait and see before automatically going all in on him being the savior...

skinsfan69 11-19-2013 06:12 PM

[quote=redskins5044;1042445]Yes. This is a dumb question, it's his second year. Is Kaepernick a franchise QB? He had been equally bad for the niners, but his D makes up for that. Is Matt Ryan a franchise QB? This is a question to ask when his rookie contract is up and wants to get paid, right he is what he is, we are married to him know matter who the coach is.[/quote]

Again though....because of the heavy price that was paid for RG3 that in turn jacks up the pressure. Kaepernick was a 2nd rounder and led his team to the SB. He gets more of a pass this year..... I think.

I don't think the organization is "married" to RG3 if a new coach comes in. That could possibly change everything.