Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Larry Michael To Join Redskins Organization (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/5535-larry-michael-to-join-redskins-organization.html)

FRPLG 03-23-2005 11:07 AM

Larry Michael To Join Redskins Organization

[I]A DCRTV exclusive. Larry Michael (left), the radio voice of the Redskins on WJFK-FM, will quit his Westwood One sports radio job. As of Friday. And become an employee of the Redskins. Our source tells us: "Talk about being bought and paid for. There goes any sense of objectivity." DCRTV hears that Michael is getting "big bucks" from Skins owner Dan Snyder. Michael took over doing Redskins radio play-by-play last season, replacing veteran booth man Frank Herzog. Infinity's WJFK-FM and Westwood One are owned by Viacom. A big question remains - will Michael continue to be paired with Sonny Jurgenson and Sam Huff, who are contract players with the Redskins? Stay tuned.....[/I]

What do you all think?

Redskins_P 03-23-2005 11:25 AM

Re: Larry Michael To Join Redskins Organization

What's he going to do for the Redskins?

I hope this will help bring back Frank Herzog.

cpayne5 03-23-2005 12:43 PM

I boycotted the "Redskins Radio Network" this past season because they fired Herzog. I hope they re-hire him.

Monksdown 03-23-2005 12:47 PM

I like both honestly. this may draw some heat. But I hate sonny and sam. I like when sam says, "he just dropped the ball" and repeats himself 4 times. SHUTUP!

cpayne5 03-23-2005 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=Monksdown]I like both honestly. this may draw some heat. But I hate sonny and sam. I like when sam says, "he just dropped the ball" and repeats himself 4 times. SHUTUP![/QUOTE]
I've never really been much on Sonny J, but Sam Huff I like.

CRT3 03-23-2005 01:55 PM

He is leaving his job as VP of Infinity. I believe he will continue as the play by play of the Redskins.

SkinsRock 03-23-2005 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Monksdown]I like both honestly. this may draw some heat. But I hate sonny and sam. I like when sam says, "he just dropped the ball" and repeats himself 4 times. SHUTUP![/QUOTE]
I like both Herzog and Michaels too....and have always liked Sonny and Sam, but I think they are starting to show their age. I think since they have replaced Herzog, they should just revamp the whole team and get a couple newer ex-Skins in there.....something like Mann and Riggo....or whoever (with at least one of them from the first Gibbs era).

BDBohnzie 03-23-2005 02:52 PM

as much as i love to listen to Sonny and Sam, they have been showing their age for at least 5 seasons...Herzog started to as well, and since they felt awkward in getting rid of 2 legends, they got rid of the dispensable one.

I would see it as a conflict of interest if Michaels takes a job with the Skins, and continues to do Play by Play...Infinity makes the decisions about who does the radio work, not the Redskins. I would love to hear Earl Forcey (The Rocketman, guy who does the updatee) do play by play...

I do agree with the concept of slowing bringing in ex-Skins to replace Huff and Jurgenson...Bostic will probably be on that short list, as would Riggo and Mann.

Monksdown 03-23-2005 03:01 PM

It would provide great commentary. A former Gibb's era Super Bowl champ talking about how Gibb's would handle being down going into half time. What he might say. Insight like that would be invaluable.

Mattyk 03-23-2005 03:02 PM

I'm not a big fan of hometown radio announcers period. I know they're paid by the team so naturally they're huge homers, it just gets really old hearing the announcers going nuts for the home teams.

SkinsRock 03-23-2005 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I'm not a big fan of hometown radio announcers period. I know they're paid by the team so naturally they're huge homers, it just gets really old hearing the announcers going nuts for the home teams.[/QUOTE]
But would you rather hear TV announcers like Bill Maas and Brian Baldinger???

I usually deal with the TV guys anyway, but when I can't, it's nice listening to "homers" that actually have a relationship with the team and don't just seem to go by the last game's stats.

Mattyk 03-23-2005 03:22 PM

I'll take the TV guys anyday over the homers who drool over everything the home team does.

celts32 03-23-2005 03:36 PM

Larry Michael...great! One more yes man on the payroll to tell Danny his crap don't stink.

Bring back Frank!

BrudLee 03-23-2005 04:26 PM

Radio play-by-play and color guys are frequently employed by the team. Remember, this broadcast is the exclusive property of the Washington Redskins and the NFL and may not be rebroadcast without their express written consent. If I own the broadcast and they are talking about my product, journalistic objectivity can sit in the back. Hometown lovin' is driving the bus.