Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   if trotter leaves....... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=555)

PSUskinsfan11 03-26-2004 07:00 PM

if trotter leaves.......

if trorrter does leave us in a trade we would most likely get a 2nd or 3rd round pick so does anyone think we could get a top linebacker.... maybe dansby or thomas from auburn and if they are gone maybe taking a d-lineman and getting a steal at middle linebacker in the 5th round.....rod davis from southern mississippi? Hopefully he won't leave and we won't take the cap hit, he was still overcoming an injury last year and deserves a chance to show he is still a monster.....and barrow is still a free agent hmmmm

p.s. TAYLOR at the 5th overall.....anyone with doubts read the chat from espn :party-smi

Ghost 03-26-2004 07:31 PM

I think Trotter's worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder ... but unfortunately there probably isn't a GM in the NFL that agrees with me. I don't see us getting much if anything for Trotter ... maybe a 5th rounder. Remember that the original asking price for Terrell Owens was a 2nd rounder and he's one of the top WRs in the NFL. Trotter doesn't have the same credentials and teams just aren't trading away their picks like they used to (except for the Skins).

MTK 03-26-2004 08:16 PM

I say we'd be lucky to get a third rounder, a 4th or 5th is probably more realistic.

A high priced MLB coming off two mediocre seasons isn't exactly going to burn up the trade wire.

Defensewins 03-27-2004 12:55 PM

We won't get anything for Trotter. He will be cut after June 1st. His knees are as bad as another bust Dave Fiore. Another reason no team will trade for him is his high salary. Whatever team trades for him will have to absorb the $3M this year and $5M next year. Maybe if we can find a crack smoking GM. Ditka unfortunately is gone.

JWsleep 03-27-2004 01:02 PM

I agree, Defense. No way anyone trades for him. We're clearly going to cut him anyway. Why would anyone give a draftpick?

skinsfanthru&thru 03-27-2004 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=JWsleep]I agree, Defense. No way anyone trades for him. We're clearly going to cut him anyway. Why would anyone give a draftpick?[/QUOTE]

pretty much the same reason why several teams were willing to give up a pick to trade for Brunnel, to avoid the uncertainty of a bidding war. Doesn't anyone else think that if he is traded, his contract will be reworked? every trade made this season, from my knowledge has resulted in a reworked contract. Trotter is still pretty young and could be an impact player if, unlike the past two years, he is used properly. And it's not like he's a problem in the lockerroom or a big ego, which was another reason TO's trade value was lower than it normally would have been for a top teir WR(also the fact that the 49ers were just trying to get what they could for a player they didn't want.) so the comparisions in trade value aren't nearly the same but the highest I see us probably getting is a 3rd rounder or a 4th & 5th. I honestly don't agree that Mitchell is on the same level of talent as Trotter and this is going to wind up being a huge cap hit in dead money for us to be saving what, 1.5 million in cap space? I mean I haven't even heard about them trying to restructure his contract before it came to this, did anyone else?

Ghost 03-27-2004 03:15 PM

Every team has dead money these days ... a fact of life in the NFL, something each team has to manage. Trotter will cost $4.6 million against the 2005 cap if he's cut after June 1. That's significant but not a backbreaker if the cap is managed properly. People worry about the cap too much around here ... Gibbs is committed to keeping a core group of Redskins players and I'm sure that's exactly what he'll do. The Jeremiah Trotters will come and go ... it's too bad these deals don't always work out, but when they don't, you release the guy, sign a cheaper player, take the hit and move on. It all comes off the books the following year and it's forgotten.

cpayne5 03-27-2004 09:09 PM

The trade could go through if he renegotiates with the new team.

Carnage 03-28-2004 02:06 PM

But why would he do that? If he waits till June then he gets to chose where he lives and cash in for 4.5 Mill next season from us. Any trade talk is wishfull thinking.

SKINSnCANES 03-28-2004 08:55 PM

Trotter has been pinned with having medicore seasons yet lead the team in tackles over the last two years. He doesnt have the sack numbers because he hasnt been used in the way he got his nick name "the train." He is overpaid but there should be interest in him. If the Skins could get a pick for him and then pick up Warrick Holdman they would have a fast and top rate LB core.

sportscurmudgeon 03-29-2004 11:17 AM

Jeremiah Trotter is vastly overpaid for his ability. But the Skins had - and still have - room for him under their cap. However, he was asked not to attend minicamp and given permission to seek a trade.

Does anyone have even a teeny-tiny feeling that the Redskins just don't want him around anymore? Why "disinvite" him to the minicamp?

If you recall the events that led to him leaving Philly and coming to Washington, Trotter was their franchise player who kept saying that the team did not respect him and that he was angry with the coach. Then he "wondered aloud" something to the effect that perhaps other players were bad-mouthing him to the coaching staff privately and that was hindering the negotiations. About 48 hours later, he was no longer the franchise player and was told that the team would not negotiate with him any further. [Translation: Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!] Danny Boy signed him in a flash.

I wonder - and it is ONLY wondering - if Trotter has worn out his welcome here for reasons that include his burdensome contract AND some other more "personal issues"? Let's see what kind of offers his agent can scare up in a trade scenario and see what kind of contract he can command...

diehardskin2982 03-29-2004 11:39 AM

I believe there may be a chance trotter may stay on the team maybe they want to see what they can get for him before draft day if no team bites on him maybe the skins would renegotiate his contract and keep him for a while. but that definately won't happen if we want you his money on holdman which i hope we are trying to do and not trying to go after one of those shitty Giants LBs

Defensewins 03-29-2004 12:14 PM

Gibbs and staff have seen game film and do not feel his level of play justifies his large salary. He had many blown assignments last year that lead to big plays fot the other team. It was mentioned in one Washington Newspaper that one blown assignment late in a game cost the Redskins a game.
He was a another terrible aquistion by Snyder. We overpaid for him and now we will have something like $3.5M-$4M in dead cap money tied up next year because of Trotter.

EEich 03-29-2004 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]Trotter has been pinned with having medicore seasons yet lead the team in tackles over the last two years. He doesnt have the sack numbers because he hasnt been used in the way he got his nick name "the train." He is overpaid but there should be interest in him. If the Skins could get a pick for him and then pick up Warrick Holdman they would have a fast and top rate LB core.[/QUOTE]He led the team in tackles because our DTs sucked and alot of plays came to him. Not because of his talent or physical gifts. All he had to do is stand there and RBs were going to run into him. He's way overpaid. I love the Holdman idea.

MTK 03-29-2004 01:45 PM

MLB's typically lead the team in tackles, it's sort of a misleading stat for the position.

Perhaps Trotter has worn out his welcome as Sports said.

Arrington sure didn't sound to broken up by the thought of him leaving, he basically said that Mitchell should have been starting all along.