Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rebuilding the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55585)

Drift Reality 12-11-2013 02:35 AM

Rebuilding the Redskins

I'm going to avoid getting emotional because of the last several games and try to share some more rational thoughts on what I believe this organization needs to do to get moving in the right direction.

1. Figure out who is going to be responsible for managing personnel. The Skins brought A.J. Smith, who has a solid track record, to help in this area. I'm not sure if he is the right guy but they need to decide whether its going to be home or whether they need to acquire a first-rate personnel guy who believes in building through the draft and developing younger players.

2. This coaching regime just seems like they are on their way out, which at this point seems like the right move. As much as I hate the instability that comes with coaching turnover, it just feels like it isn't going to happen with this group of coaches. I'd like to see the Redskins bring in a young, sharp coordinator with NFL experience and work with him to get a talented veteran staff in place with a clearly articulated vision and principles.

3. As for the team:

[B]Offense[/B]

[B]Quarterback[/B] - I think they are basically set here. Unless there is an opportunity to acquire a 2nd or more for Cousins, this unit is set. I'd assume that whatever regime comes in will replace Grossman with someone else.

Receivers - They have one solid player (Garcon); two marginal players (Hank & Aldrick) and two guys (Moss and Morgan) who are done at the end of this season. Finding a legitimate starter is a need.

Running backs - They are set here.

Tightends - Set.

Offensive line - This is the one unit on offense that needs significant work. Other than Williams, you have four marginal starters (regardless of how well Polumbus is playing according to PFF this year). They are going to need to figure out how to get two starters to add to this unit. I haven't really done much analysis of individual performance but I'd say it certainly seems as though Chris Chester and Kory need to go. Will and Tyler are marginal (both would be ideal upgrades) but there is so much work to be done to get this line into shape that in one offseason, you may only be able to fix half the problem.

[B]Defense[/B]

Defensive line - In a 3-4, you have one solid starter (Cofield) and a bunch of marginal players. If they shift to a 4-3 and relocate Kerrigan to end, they still have two spots they'll need to find legitimate starters to fill.

Linebackers - In a 3-4, they have good outside backers (if they re-sign Orakpo) , one marginal ilb (Riley) and then one hole after London Fletcher retires this season. They need a top-tier / borderline all-pro inside linebacker to get this unit on track.

Secondary - I think their assets here are an emerging young cb (Amerson), a solid veteran (Hall) and nothing in the backfield. They are going to need to get a top-tier safety to play in the backfield and at least a solid, 2nd-tier player to join the cb group.

Overall, this team is going to have 6 draft picks and a significant amount of cap room with loads of holes to fill. I'd say the things they really need:

1. 1st tier interior offensive lineman
2. 1st tier safety
3. 1st tier defensive lineman
4. 2nd tier interior offensive lineman
5. 2nd tier cornerback
6. 2nd tier wide receiver
7. 2nd tier offensive lineman

They might have younger, unproven players who have the ability to fill the holes. Somewhere between that group, the free agency market and upcoming draft, they'll need to figure out how to fill those holes.

Kindoy 12-11-2013 03:07 AM

Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

You think a lot more of Polumbus than most of this board.

RT should be a priority. Draft needs to include more than 1 O-Lineman and a quality DB, MLB, and WR.

The Goat 12-11-2013 03:23 AM

I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
DT Jenkins/Golston/Bowen rotating
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

Hall and Amerson at corners. One of Rambo/Merriweather/Jackson starts and we need a starter at the other safety spot.

Maybe bring in a FA over Tapp, but I definitely think Riley and Jackson can hold down the other two spots.

Depth is still and issue at many positions, but at least we're making the most of our assets. Rak especially will be a beast at RDE and Kerrigan is plenty stout enough to play LDE and create some pressure too.

The offense needs more help than defense in terms of adding players/talent. 3 or even 4 new olineman and at least another starting WR.

VTSkins1961 12-11-2013 06:19 AM

[quote=The Goat;1047931]I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

Hall and Amerson at corners. One of Rambo/Merriweather/Jackson starts and we need a starter at the other safety spot.

Maybe bring in a FA over Tapp, but I definitely think Riley and Jackson can hold down the other two spots.

Depth is still and issue at many positions, but at least we're making the most of our assets. Rak especially will be a beast at RDE and Kerrigan is plenty stout enough to play LDE and create some pressure too.

The offense needs more help than defense in terms of adding players/talent. 3 or even 4 new olineman and at least another starting WR.[/quote]

Agreed. defense should go back to 4-3

donofriose 12-11-2013 06:43 AM

I think it is irrelevant if its a 4-3 or 3-4 "roster" right now, because who ever comes in is going to blow it up and no matter what the scheme is the players as currently assembled are still going to suck. There is not much talent on the Skins right now, specifically defense.

Cowboys went from a 3-4 to a 4-3... might have the worst defense ever.
Saints went from a 4-3 to a 3-4... went from having the worst defense to a top 10 one in less than a year.

It is not the scheme, its the players and coaches.

Also remember when Orakpo was moved from DE to a 4-3 OLB... Yea Rob Jackson would be just as bad at that position.

irish 12-11-2013 07:30 AM

Fixing the players is only a tiny part of what's needed to fix this organization.

Paintrain 12-11-2013 08:10 AM

Offensively it's pretty clear the O-line needs an upgrade, again, in order to be effective. Wouldn't mind spending in free agency on Michael Oher and sticking him at RT. He's not perfect, too many penalties and a little inconsistent but still would be a huge instant upgrade. Baltimore has to decide if they're going to pay him or Eugene Monroe so there's a pretty good chance he's available. Draft a center in the 3rd round, develop LeRibeius and find out if Chester or Montgomery can hold down RG for one more season before they can be replaced.

Finally address WR like an NFL team does. Love Garcon but outside of him, blah. Draft a WR with the 2nd round pick, try to sign Dexter McCluster in free agency and fix both the return game and create a 'weapon' in the passing game. Hankerson is a #4 WR, Robinson is maybe, MAYBE a #5 but he's the definition of a one trick pony.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping our TE as is, including Davis. Again, he's far from perfect but from what we've seen out of Reed he's dangerous but fragile. Paulsen and Paul are not viable pass options long term so we need talented depth at that spot.

Defensively we can add someone in free agency and/or the draft to the line to go with Cofield and Jenkins, I don't see this position as a huge position of need. At LB, re-sign Rak and Riley and then depending on scheme see where a healthy Keenan Robinson fits and/or again, address depth via the draft (love the Stanford kid Shayne Skov) or a mid level free agent.

On the back end, bring back Hall, promote Amerson to a starter and go after Jarius Byrd in free agency. We haven't figured out safety for years, let's just fix it. Thomas returning will potentially give us an option at starter but at worst, he's a depth player. Crawford coming back will help the depth, Minnifield developing will improve the depth, bringing back Biggers is good for depth so at CB I don't think any free agent dollars need to be spent.

Not looking to go nuts in free agency (retain Rak, Riley, Hall, Biggers, sign Oher, McCluster, Byrd) but be smart about spending the available cap dollars, focus on interior WR, LB and OL in that order in the draft. Just have to have the right GM and coach making those decisions.

skinsguy 12-11-2013 08:25 AM

Drift Reality:

AJ Smith is merely a consultant. I don't think he really figures into the front office much at all, especially if the front office is going to be making changes soon (promoting Allen, moving up Moroco possibly.)

Secondly, saying Tyler Polumbus is a marginal player is an insult to all marginal players in the NFL. He can't handle the job and should be priority one in getting replaced. I'd follow that up with Chris Chester. I would consider Montgomery more of a marginal/decent player and Cory L, but that right side of the line is horrible. Basically, everybody who is not named Trent Williams should be upgraded.

Everything else I pretty much agree with. DeAngelo Hall, while I commend him for upping his game this year, he's pretty old. Time to replace him with some young blood. He could stay on for cheap next year but I don't see a lot of value in that move.

Biggest thing you didn't mention was replacing special teams coach Keith Burns. Special teams has lost us more games than anything else this year.

Chico23231 12-11-2013 09:15 AM

Nice organized post Drift.

My re signs right off the bat would be P. Riley, D Hall(1 year), and multi-year for Orakpo.

My focus on Defense would be acquire players who are good tacklers. My focus would be getting 3 new starters: Free Safety, MLB, and D-Line. The free safety needs to be proven vet, not a drafted rookie.

My focus on Offense would be WR and O-line. Much work is needed here. The right side of Oline should be replaced (Chester, Polumbus). So cut both and look for 2 starters at RT and RG. The question mark is Gettis, could he play RG? Also what about cutting Wil and moving Kory L to center? Lots of questions, so lets keep the need just as interior Oline. Polumbus needs to go period.

Folks Im not joking when I say our WR core needs to be completely replaced outside of Garcon. Id focused on 1 outside starter at WR, but slot WR will be a need as well.

Special teams: We cant continue to overlook this obvious problem. We need a Kick/punt returner, a punter, and possibly a kicker. So Kick Returner and Punter for sure.

We can get more specific with actual players later but my list of needs would be:

1. MLB
2. Free Safety
3. WR
4. D-Lineman
5. Right Tackle
6. Interior Olineman
7. Cornerback (slot)
8. Kick returner
9. Punter
10.WR (slot)

Thats alot of problems

Skins4L 12-11-2013 09:17 AM

i like the overview.

Slingin Sammy 33 12-11-2013 09:52 AM

Good thread, but a little premature. Gotta get the FO structure and HC in place to know philosophy before looking for players.

mooby 12-11-2013 09:55 AM

[quote=Kindoy;1047930]You think a lot more of Polumbus than most of this board.

RT should be a priority. Draft needs to include more than 1 O-Lineman and a quality DB, MLB, and WR.[/quote]

We only have 6 picks, if you're expecting we get quality players with at least 5 of those picks you might want to lower expectations. We have a lot of holes to fill and we're probably going to have to fill the majority in free agency. Hopefully our new coach is smart and goes after solid guys instead of the name guys looking for a payday.

Chico23231 12-11-2013 09:58 AM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;1047997]Good thread, but a little premature. Gotta get the FO structure and HC in place to know philosophy before looking for players.[/quote]

For specific players yes, but lets be honest its not too hard to tell which positions are lagging.

diehardskin2982 12-11-2013 11:20 AM

I have been contemplating putting together a manifesto on how to fix the Redskins. Here are my thoughts...

Dan Snyder needs to continue the renovations and updates of the equipment for the Redskins. To be a championship team we need to act like one. Renovations to the FedEx Locker room need to happen. Take a look at the Greenbay game day Locker room or the Giants locker room, hell even Oregon or Alabama's. We make over $1Billion a year in revenue, the team can have better facilities.

The team name is a distraction and needs to be changed. We don't need any negativity for the next regime coming in. It was crazy that last year that during the winning streak a positive situation players had to answer questions about the team name.

Structure the front office:
Bruce Allen should be the buffer between the owner and players/staff. Team President has the final say on who stays and who goes... Make Morocco Brown GM with the autonomy to select his own lieutenants.

Coaching Staff: This staff has Super bowl pedigree and an ability to develop talent. Redskins/ Steeler/ Seahawk roots
HC: Ken Whisenhut
Assistant HC Oline- Russ Grimm
OC: Rod Carey- Current HC for the second best offense in the NCAA behind Baylor.
DC: Ken Norton Jr.- Pete Carroll disciple and come bring in the Leo defense.
SPC: Jeff Reinebold
QBC: Jeff Rutledge

Talent Acquisition: It going to take a combination of the right moves in FA and the draft. We need both more team speed and skill.

Too soon to talk about the specific moves, at least this is a start.

skinsguy 12-11-2013 11:36 AM

I don't feel like going through a step by step plan to rebuild, but it all starts in the front office. The GM position is likely changing hands, so it's important to get the right guy for the job. A great GM begets the right head coach who begets a great coaching staff who begets a solid offensive line, that begets a productive offense - but then again, the solid/productive offense is also set up by great special teams and stingy defense. Almost a great defense begets a great offense.

It all starts up top.

jamf 12-11-2013 11:45 AM

While I do think Whisenhut will be a HC with some team next year, I just don't get the appeal of hiring a guy that has a proven losing coaching record.
Whisenhut strikes me as the second coming of Norv Turner, A great coordinator but mediocre HC.

diehardskin2982 12-11-2013 12:00 PM

Jam F although Whisenhunt has a record of 45-51, He took a team in Arizona to the Superbowl as a HC, something Norv has never done. Ken has also developed QB's the likes of Kurt Warner, Big Ben, and currently Philip Rivers. A deep dive into his record shows that he only has two season as a HC below .500.

jamf 12-11-2013 12:17 PM

Warner won a superbowl and NFL MVP before he was ever "developed" by Whisenhut.
Rivers went to an AFC Championship game and 4 probowls before Whisenhut.

He is a solid OC but he doesn't deserve credit for developing Rivers and Warner.

He wasn't able to develop Matt Leinart or Derek Anderson, that would've been something...

Monkeydad 12-11-2013 01:05 PM

[quote=Kindoy;1047930]You think a lot more of Polumbus than most of this board.

RT should be a priority. Draft needs to include more than 1 O-Lineman and a quality DB, MLB, and WR.[/quote]

Polumbus doesn't even try to his his ground, he backpedals and pushes his man weakly, right into his own QB.

[IMG]http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/rg3-not-helped-up-after-sack-by-ahmad-brooks-end-of-3rd.gif?w=640[/IMG]

[IMG]http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/d9h8vp.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/d9h8o9.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/rg3-sacked-by-cowboys-helped-up-by-will-montgomery-2nd-quarter.gif?w=640[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/11/02/Miller2.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1380813/griffint.gif[/IMG]

BaltimoreSkins 12-11-2013 01:07 PM

Jacoby Jones is going to be available and could really bolster the KR/PR and WR role but would cost a pretty penny and I am not sure how that will all play out. He kind of fits that mold of big expenditure that we want to avoid with all the holes we have.

diehardskin2982 12-11-2013 01:29 PM

[quote=jamf;1048121]Warner won a superbowl and NFL MVP before he was ever "developed" by Whisenhut.
Rivers went to an AFC Championship game and 4 probowls before Whisenhut.

He is a solid OC but he doesn't deserve credit for developing Rivers and Warner.

He wasn't able to develop Matt Leinart or Derek Anderson, that would've been something...[/quote]

Warner won an MVP but was on the backend of his career most recently being a backup in NY.

Rivers was also a QB thought to have hit his peek only to have a resurrection under Ken's tutelage.

Hijinx 12-11-2013 01:32 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1048142]Jacoby Jones is going to be available and could really bolster the KR/PR and WR role but would cost a pretty penny and I am not sure how that will all play out. He kind of fits that mold of big expenditure that we want to avoid with all the holes we have.[/quote]

Jones would be a good add, Or Eric Decker. Although Decker might break the bank(or get the franchise tag from Denver).

jamf 12-11-2013 01:44 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;1048151]Warner won an MVP but was on the backend of his career most recently being a backup in NY.

Rivers was also a QB thought to have hit his peek only to have a resurrection under Ken's tutelage.[/quote]

I think we both can agree that QB's need some talent around them and a solid coaching staff to succeed.

SouperMeister 12-11-2013 02:22 PM

[quote=The Goat;1047931]I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

The offense needs more help than defense in terms of adding players/talent. 3 or even 4 new olineman and at least another starting WR.[/quote]I've always felt that the switch to a 3-4 was Shanny's first and biggest mistake, and I agree that the personnel in place are the makings of a decent 4-3, with additional help at safety required.

SouperMeister 12-11-2013 02:24 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1048142]Jacoby Jones is going to be available and could really bolster the KR/PR and WR role but would cost a pretty penny and I am not sure how that will all play out. He kind of fits that mold of big expenditure that we want to avoid with all the holes we have.[/quote]Jones would fill 2 holes - #2 WR and legit kick returner. I wanted him when he was in Houston.

RFKRat 12-11-2013 02:29 PM

Rebuild? Here's the problem. When people here have complained over the years about the state of the franchise and the ongoing "rebuild", far too many fans bought into that nonsense, while despite the good record last year, there was still a lot not to like about this team.

Throw in also that it was being run by an egotistical jerk of an owner and an arrogant, egotistical coach who has done nothing of note in fourteen years. The foundation wasn't close to concrete, but far too many fans and certainly the local media bought into the nonsense that this team was on the edge of going truly deep into the playoffs. At 3-10 the truth is out. Funny how teams like SF, even Detroit, etc can go from horrific seasons to solid/playoff teams with just a few additions and some good coaching. But this team goes from just bad to a laughable soap opera drama that is an insult to the proud tradition of this franchise.

According to many the Redskins have been in a rebuild for 3 or 4 years now. Now basically they have to blow it up and start again. Nothing ever changes here and unfortunately under Snyder it never will. This franchise is well on its way to cementing itself as one of the worst franchises in sports this century. And nothing is going to change any time soon.

diehardskin2982 12-11-2013 02:31 PM

[quote=jamf;1048163]I think we both can agree that QB's need some talent around them and a solid coaching staff to succeed.[/quote]

Agreed

SouperMeister 12-11-2013 02:45 PM

[quote=RFKRat;1048193]Rebuild? Here's the problem. When people here have complained over the years about the state of the franchise and the ongoing "rebuild", far too many fans bought into that nonsense, while despite the good record last year, there was still a lot not to like about this team.

Throw in also that it was being run by an egotistical jerk of an owner and an arrogant, egotistical coach who has done nothing of note in fourteen years. The foundation wasn't close to concrete, but far too many fans and certainly the local media bought into the nonsense that this team was on the edge of going truly deep into the playoffs. At 3-10 the truth is out. [B]Funny how teams like SF, even Detroit, etc can go from horrific seasons to solid/playoff teams with just a few additions and some good coaching. [/B] But this team goes from just bad to a laughable soap opera drama that is an insult to the proud tradition of this franchise.

According to many the Redskins have been in a rebuild for 3 or 4 years now. Now basically they have to blow it up and start again. Nothing ever changes here and unfortunately under Snyder it never will. This franchise is well on its way to cementing itself as one of the worst franchises in sports this century. And nothing is going to change any time soon.[/quote]SF and Detroit had many horrific years and high draft picks before finally turning the corner. Detroit in particular drafted Stafford, C. Johnson, and D. Suh as top-2 picks overall. They still fell to last place last year, and selected DE Ezekiel Ansah #5 overall. That's FOUR top-5 picks in the last seven drafts, for those that are counting. You've conveniently forgotten the horror of the Millen years in Detroit that netted the high picks to build the nice foundation they have today.

donofriose 12-11-2013 03:09 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;1048205]SF and Detroit had many horrific years and high draft picks before finally turning the corner. Detroit in particular drafted Stafford, C. Johnson, and D. Suh as top-2 picks overall. They still fell to last place last year, and selected DE Ezekiel Ansah #5 overall. That's FOUR top-5 picks in the last seven drafts, for those that are counting. You've conveniently forgotten the horror of the Millen years in Detroit that netted the high picks to build the nice foundation they have today.[/quote]

I think more accurate comparison would be Seattle, who also had two first round picks but didn't make the dumb decisions Shanahan and the Skins did.

San Fran and Detroit weretalented they just didn't have the right coach. Even though I think some of Harbaugh's magic is starting to fade. Detroit's coaches suck.

In the end without a changed philosophy within the organization which will in turn change the coaching and player's attitudes, the Skins will always be a bottom dweller.

SkinsGuru 12-11-2013 03:24 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;1048190]Jones would fill 2 holes - #2 WR and legit kick returner. I wanted him when he was in Houston.[/quote]

maybe #3 receiver (slot), but not a true #2 (garcon is a low end #1/ high end #2) ) . . . we would have to be able to sign/draft a #1/#2 in addition . . .

SouperMeister 12-11-2013 03:29 PM

[quote=SkinsGuru;1048241]maybe #3 receiver (slot), but not a true #2 (garcon is a low end #1/ high end #2) ) . . . we would have to be able to sign/draft a #1/#2 in addition . . .[/quote]I'll agree with that, since Garçon is really a #2 playing #1 for us.

donofriose 12-11-2013 03:32 PM

[quote=SkinsGuru;1048241]maybe #3 receiver (slot), but not a true #2 (garcon is a low end #1/ high end #2) ) . . . we would have to be able to sign/draft a #1/#2 in addition . . .[/quote]

I think receivers at this point should be a low priority for the Skins. Maybe you can get some depth at receiver in the later rounds of the draft or some cheap free agents.

Green Monk Machine 12-11-2013 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=The Goat;1047931]I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

The offense needs more help than defense in terms of adding players/talent. 3 or even 4 new olineman and at least another starting WR.[/QUOTE]

Yup. CHanging back to a 4-3 IMO would be less shopping in FA and just require rotating guys around and they'd have the versatility at DE to drop back and cover. The only FA's on Defense needed would be in the secondary.

At DT you forgot about Baker.

Slingin Sammy 33 12-11-2013 03:39 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1048010]For specific players yes, but lets be honest its not too hard to tell which positions are lagging.[/quote]Agreed, but what kind of players for the schemes is the key.

- OL, Run game, is it Smash-mouth or Zone. Will we be Quick-pass game or PA with 5-7 step drops.
- 4-3 vs. 3-4 makes a huge difference in the skill-sets targeted in the front 7
- Coverage, primarily Zone or Man. Man-off, or Press.
- WRs - Are we looking for quicker, Welker types or big, physical WRs

donofriose 12-11-2013 03:40 PM

If the Skins moved to a 4-3 they would need at least 1 DE, even though they would also need depth, at least one new DT and depth at that position as well, two starting Outside Linebackers, and they would still need a lot of corners and new safeties. But if they did switch to a 4-3, they might end up being Minnesota... the 31st ranked defense in the NFL.

redskins5044 12-11-2013 03:42 PM

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

.[/quote]

Switching defenses might be better, but we would be asking Kerrigan and Orakpo to play a position they have never played in the NFL. Kerrigan might be able to, but Rak played LB in the 4-3 so too think he could move to end and be effective is very optismistic. who knows it could work maybe it would suit him better.

donofriose 12-11-2013 03:46 PM

[quote=redskins5044;1048265]Switching defenses might be better, but we would be asking Kerrigan and Orakpo to play a position they have never played in the NFL. Kerrigan might be able to, but Rak played LB in the 4-3 so too think he could move to end and be effective is very optismistic. who knows it could work maybe it would suit him better.[/quote]

Orakpo played DE in college like Rob Jackson/Ryan Kerrigan, he also played a lot of DE his rookie year. I think with the right coach he would be a good DE.

Chico23231 12-11-2013 04:03 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;1048260]Agreed, but what kind of players for the schemes is the key.

- OL, Run game, is it Smash-mouth or Zone. Will we be Quick-pass game or PA with 5-7 step drops.
- 4-3 vs. 3-4 makes a huge difference in the skill-sets targeted in the front 7
- Coverage, primarily Zone or Man. Man-off, or Press.
- WRs - Are we looking for quicker, Welker types or big, physical WRs[/quote]

Looking at our team now, we need fundementally strong players with versitility. We need LBs and Safeties who can tackle. We need WRs that can catch. We need to get the basics down first, before we scheme. But I agree with what your saying and Im sure the new regime will looking who fits their mold, but lets get guys who have their primary skills down pat.

The Goat 12-11-2013 04:19 PM

[quote=Green Monk Machine;1048254]Yup. CHanging back to a 4-3 IMO would be less shopping in FA and just require rotating guys around and they'd have the versatility at DE to drop back and cover. The only FA's on Defense needed would be in the secondary.

At DT you forgot about Baker.[/quote]

Thanks bro, I couldn't remember if Baker or Neild is more likely to return next year, but yeah should be a solid backup to Cofield or probably rotate in.

I don't anybody should assume the new coach will choose to blow up the defense the way Mike did, parting ways with solid guys on the roster and forcing a square peg into a round hole. A smart HC/DC will look at the defensive roster and (IMO) see the 4-3 is the better fit and go with it.

Looking at offense again, I strongly believe Helu needs to be on the field more, though not necessarily as a RB fulltime. Helu holds the Redskins record for catches in a game (from 2011 I believe), runs a 4.4 40 and has shown pretty remarkable athleticism in space. I think a smart coach will use him much like New England and San Diego use RBs, swinging them out as WRs, having them come out of the backfield a lot as pass catchers etc. Bottom line is Morris and Helu both a have much to offer and should be on the field at the same time.

Add a WR starter, a couple/few olineman and maximize the talent already on the roster like Helu and this offense is set to fly.

Fuck I hope RG doesn't sour on the franchise because of the Shanahans.

calia 12-11-2013 05:19 PM

I think the first and most challenging job a new coach will have is getting the situation with RGIII back on track. On the one hand, he cannot look like he's bending to the star player's will. But on the other hand, he cannot come in like a complete hardass and pretend that the shitstorm that has been this season might not affect the guy. That's going to be a very, very difficult thing to do -- and to do it all while establishing relationships with a bunch of guys you probably don't know and with the intense media scrutiny that comes with coaching this team will make it all the more challenging.

Whoever comes in is going to have to demonstrate some real touch right out of the box, putting aside whatever other coaching skills will be needed.

But now I know what I want for Christmas....