Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C. Brown Needs More Time; Redskins interested in Kevin Dyson (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5566)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-24-2005 09:31 PM

C. Brown Needs More Time; Redskins interested in Kevin Dyson

According to the Washington Post, former Browns' defensive end Courtney Brown needs more time to decide what team he will sign with. The Redskins, Broncos, Jaguars, and Browns are among the team interested in signing Brown. The delay in Brown's decision comes one day after Brown told his suitors that he would likely decide what team he would sign with by today.

Additionally, the Washington Post is reporting that the Redskins are interested in signing wide receiver Kevin Dyson. Dyson drew interest from the 'Skins two years ago before the Redskins decided to trade for Laveranues Coles. Dyson was cut by the Chargers last season after training camp.

I'm still very interested in signing Brown to an incentive-laden deal. I'm somewhat skeptical about the interest in Dyson. Like Brown, Dyson has had an injury plagued caeer. But, unlike Brown, Dyson has never been considered a player with elite-potential. Moreover, its strange for the 'Skins to be pursuing a wideout who was cut by the Chargers - who have a BIG need at wide receiver.

SmootSmack 03-24-2005 09:33 PM

Re: C. Brown Needs More Time; Redskins interested in Kevin Dyson

Weren't they interested in Dyson two seasons ago before he eventually signed with Carolina (and played one game for them)

Dyson will always be remembered for two things-Music City Miracle and being tackled a yard short of the endzone in the Super Bowl. The ultimate high and low within a couple of weeks of each other

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-24-2005 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]Weren't they interested in Dyson two seasons ago before he eventually signed with Carolina (and played one game for them)[/QUOTE]

Yes, see my above post.

Gmanc711 03-24-2005 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]Dyson will always be remembered for two things-Music City Miracle [/QUOTE]

That right now is my greatest football moment in sports. I remember watching that game with all Bills fans; and I was going hardcore for Tenn (you learn to hate the Bills up here) and when that guy started running I went nuts..... Only one team will ever be able to top a moment like that, god when?

SmootSmack 03-24-2005 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]Yes, see my above post.[/QUOTE]

Oops. Sorry about that, skipped right past that sentence

Riggo44 03-24-2005 09:49 PM

Screw Dyson!! We don't need another injury prone WR. I would love to sign Coutney Brown though.

GoSkins! 03-24-2005 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Riggo44]Screw Dyson!! We don't need another injury prone WR. I would love to sign Coutney Brown though.[/QUOTE]

Because we could use another injury plauged defensive end???:)

shallyshal 03-24-2005 10:05 PM

looking at dyson is not exactly a vote of confidence for mccants, is it??

i even wonder what he has left

SKINSnCANES 03-24-2005 10:05 PM

this surprises me. I think dyson is a solid receiver but why we need him I cant imagine.

John Hasbrouck 03-24-2005 10:41 PM

If we don't need an injury prone wo,we don't need an injury prone de

jordanz301 03-24-2005 10:53 PM

i think were fine as we are, if we get rid of gardner i would really thnk that mccants will step up because i really think he is better than gardner ......i also think taylor jacobs will mke a contribution this yer also.....if ne thing i really think were fine wit depth at wide recevier....i mean we have moss, patten, jacobs, thrash mccants( who i really like) maybe gardner...i mean we have speed and we have the big target.....frankly i really liek jacobs and mccants i think they are really going to shine this year if gibbs gives them a chance....hell wen they did play last season they did pretty dayum good...especially wen they actually activated mccants.........btw i would love courtney brown...but i dnt think hes commin here i think hes going to jaguars

ST21 03-24-2005 10:57 PM

hum i've heard that before.....

Yellow31 03-24-2005 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]this surprises me. I think dyson is a solid receiver but why we need him I cant imagine.[/QUOTE]he will be cheap

Daseal 03-24-2005 11:27 PM

Hrm, not too high on Dyson, if we get him definitely rule out WR!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-24-2005 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=John Hasbrouck]If we don't need an injury prone wo,we don't need an injury prone de[/QUOTE]

IMHO, the difference between Brown and Dyson is Brown could fill a position of need, whereas Dyson cannot. Moreover, Brown has the potential to be a stellar pass-rushing defensive end. Provided we protect ourselves by structuring a deal for Brown around incentives, I think acquiring Brown could turn out to be one the best moves of our offseason.

John Hasbrouck 03-24-2005 11:39 PM

Ramseyfan you would take Brown even with a wooden leg

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-25-2005 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=John Hasbrouck]Ramseyfan you would take Brown even with a wooden leg[/QUOTE]

Provided the contract was based on incentives. :biggthump

offiss 03-25-2005 01:42 AM

I wouldn't waste a nickle on Dyson, Brown is wearing out my patience, if he's looking for a guarantee to start, then I say let him go where ever they hand you the starting job instead of earning it, looking for a guarantee just tell's me he doesn't have any confidence in himself to earn it on merit, if that's the case which is what we were hearing early on.

bedlamVR 03-25-2005 04:31 AM

What happened to Andre Dyson I kind of thought that was the guy we might be intersted in . Has he signed anywhere I never heard .

GoSkins! 03-25-2005 06:40 AM

I don't know much about Dyson. Is he a very good special teams player? That is what Gibbs and co. are looking for right now.

FRPLG 03-25-2005 08:19 AM

If Dyson is cheap what is the harm of bringing him for an audition during camp? He still could not make the team. Might as well bring him in if you can get him at the veteran's minimum with no signing bonus. Costs us nothing if we cut him and potentially offers a cheap alternative should he play as well as some other guys. My big question is why he was out of football for a year? There had to be someone who needed a receiver last season if only for a few weeks.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-25-2005 08:20 AM

Dyson = Another possible #2/#3 receiver. So how many does THAT make it we have?

MTK 03-25-2005 08:43 AM

The fact that Brown has put off his decision tells me he's not sold on Denver like sources were saying earlier in the week, which is good news for the Skins!

Schneed10 03-25-2005 09:03 AM

Yeah I'm with FRPLG on this one. He was out of football this year, so he's just going to be happy to be back playing again, meaning he'll sign for the vet minimum and no signing bonus. (if they give him a signing bonus I'll be 1000% against that). But if you're signing him for vet minimum I'm all for it, because there will be no salary cap consequences if we cut him. We could bring him to camp, let him try out, and if he sucks, that's no harm done. You just cut his ass.

What's our WR situation right now?
Moss
Patten
Jacobs
Thrash
McCants
Antonio Brown

Usually teams carry 6 WRs, and I'd imagine we're looking to keep Brown for his return skills. So bring in Dyson and let him compete with McCants for that last spot. What's the harm?

BleedBurgundy 03-25-2005 09:03 AM

It's going to be a good indication of the franchise's rep with players, when Brown decides between us and the Broncos. Especially if the contracts are identical...

Schneed10 03-25-2005 09:05 AM

By the way, if we sign Kevin Dyson, you can 100% forget about a WR at #9 in my opinion. Gibbs has hinted he's going D at that #9 pick already, and if they sign Dyson to come in and compete, I can't see them adding another expensive WR through the draft, it would just overload us on receivers. My money is on a CB at #9, which is exactly what I think we should do.

MTK 03-25-2005 09:11 AM

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of going for a CB at #9 too. Harris obviously isn't the long-term solution. Next year would be a perfect situation to plug in a rookie in the nickel and bring him along slowly while Harris starts.

56FAN 03-25-2005 09:43 AM

now you guys are talking, offense is not that bad the line is where it happens if our line if is crushin then the offense will kick but if it struggles like last year then the same thing will happen. with out the line the skill positions can't show they'er skills. d is the way to go, either rolle, pac man or johnson. bring'em on lets stap'em on on and kick some star laddend butt!!!!!lol lol lol lol

monk81 03-25-2005 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]The fact that Brown has put off his decision tells me he's not sold on Denver like sources were saying earlier in the week, which is good news for the Skins![/QUOTE]

Guess Champ didn't do a very good job convincing him to go to Denver :)

But curious on Dyson......isn't a big endorsement to our other WR option, McCants...............

And I wouldn't mind seeing us go with CB at the 9 spot...........Pac Man or Rolle...................

TheMalcolmConnection 03-25-2005 10:07 AM

I definitely wouldn't mind signing him for the vet minimum.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-25-2005 10:11 AM

I definitely agree that if we sign Dyson we're not going WR. Do you guys still think we should pass on Williams if he's there?

TheMalcolmConnection 03-25-2005 10:16 AM

And if we DON'T go WR, do you think that we pick CB or take Derrick at LB if HE'S there?

MTK 03-25-2005 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]If Dyson is cheap what is the harm of bringing him for an audition during camp? He still could not make the team. Might as well bring him in if you can get him at the veteran's minimum with no signing bonus. Costs us nothing if we cut him and potentially offers a cheap alternative should he play as well as some other guys. My big question is why he was out of football for a year? There had to be someone who needed a receiver last season if only for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

The answer to your question as to why he was out of football it was due to injury I believe.

56FAN 03-25-2005 11:40 AM

i'm not sold m williams, if it was roy williams who has it all then i say snag'em but this draft has no clear superstar player like last draft. there are some players who have
a chance to become stars but no clear winner pick. williamson has everything you need, decent size and burnin speed. so cb or johnson in the first or drop down collect a pick and get williamson. by the way what do you guys say about elton brand out of va maybe in the second ?, if we can get a second. i,m not sold on our big guard out of texas. from what i've read elton has it all as a guard. and after all the line is where the game is won and lost.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-25-2005 11:59 AM

A lot of people are thinking he will be taken in the first round.

Daseal 03-25-2005 12:04 PM

I remember being mocked for saying R. Williams was the best receiver last year! Roy Williams is king - but M Williams is a bigger slower guy. He's more of a redzone threat which is something we're lacking.

56FAN 03-25-2005 12:54 PM

mccant servs that role, and very well i might add. that's why he got the new contrat w/bonus. williamson is said to be screamin up the charts on alot of peoples boards.
b edwards from i have read about him reminds me of a faster gardner. thanks but no thanks. rolle or pac man are going to be stars and poosibly superstars in the league.
we have 2 good corners who are a little long in the tooth, time for a trainee.
de we can trade down and get what we want if we are not interested in a top running back , qb, or cb trade down pile up picks.

SkinsRock 03-25-2005 01:38 PM

The Post has not been completely accurate this offseason, so I'll believe it when I see it somewhere else. That being said, Dyson would be a vet minimum type of guy that would be basically trying out in TC to be a backup/special teams guy.....or maybe a guy they can bring in and get familiar with the system in case of injury to one of the WR's later in the season. Don't read too much into it.....i.e. who we will draft.
Although this is the time for smoke screens, so add this to the fact that Gibbs was hinting of going defense with the #9 pick, and maybe they do have their eye on a WR (I hope not....I think they should either take a CB or trade down for more picks).

offiss 03-25-2005 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]I remember being mocked for saying R. Williams was the best receiver last year! Roy Williams is king - but M Williams is a bigger slower guy. He's more of a redzone threat which is something we're lacking.[/QUOTE]

I was with you on Williams as well Daseal, I also had Andre Johnson ahead of the kid who went to Detroit the year before, I believe his name is Rogers.

So who is my guy this year? Vincent Jackson!

I believe we will be taking a WR either late first or early second, I really think this is a draft to be dealing down and pick up as many pick's as possible. We can deal down and come out of this draft with a possible impact CB, and a WR, and still get a backup to groom at center/guard, as well as a MLB, and also add some depth.

CB's- Pac man, Rolle, Roger's, and Marlin Jackson.

WR's- Williams, Edwards, Williamson, Clayton, R.White, Mathis, V. Jackson.

Any 1 of those guy's could turn into all pro's, and if we play this draft correctly we can easily draft 2 of them.

Redskins_P 03-28-2005 01:53 PM

Has anyone heard anything about C.Brown? I thought he was making his decision last Thursday?