Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tell 'Em to Pack or Bring 'Em Back (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55737)

Paintrain 12-19-2013 09:12 AM

Tell 'Em to Pack or Bring 'Em Back

[URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4027/redskins-ufas-face-possible-fed-ex-finale"]John Keim posted about the 15 unrestricted free agents[/URL] the Redskins have and if this is their last game as a Redskin at Fed Ex Field. Simple question, if you were the GM would you tell them to pack or want to bring them back?

My opinion:
[B]BACK-[/B]
Brian Orakpo- Homegrown talent at a position of need that will be too expensive to replace in either draft capital or in free agency.

Fred Davis- Especially with a new coach, clean slate. He's got a ton of flaws but I think the right coach can find a way to make him productive again and Reed/Davis can be a devastating combo. Likely will be a one year deal again.

Perry Riley- See reasons for Orakpo.

Chris Baker- Good, young depth and occasional playmaker. This is the type of player in the Snyder era who has gotten away and flourished elsewhere.

E.J. Biggers- Young, fast, provides depth as well and shouldn't cost too much.

[B]PACK[/B]
Darryl Tapp, Rex Grossman, Nick Barnett-No individual comments needed, provided little or nothing on the field and won't be missed.

Santana Moss, Reed Doughty-Carryovers from the Gibbs years. Thanks for the service but their production can easily be met or surpassed by younger and cheaper players.

Josh Morgan- He enters the 'Deion Sanders' category of someone who should show up at Redskins Park with a ski mask on whenever he picks up his paycheck.

Josh Wilson & Deangelo Hall- It's time to move on from this duo. I don't know if Wilson would even be in the NFL this year if it wasn't for us. Hall played well all year but this seems like 2012 London Fletcher. We're seeing the last flickers of talent but shouldn't be fooled into thinking it's about to be a real fire again.

Rob Jackson- Really could go either way on him. He's a playmaker when given the chance but not talented or consistent enough to be a starter. Also, one stupid or careless move from a one year drug suspension so he can be replaced but it wouldn't be the worst move if he's retained.

Gary84Clark 12-19-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Tell 'Em to Pack or Bring 'Em Back

Bring all of them back for camp competition except Doughty, Grossman, Morgan, Wilson.

DynamiteRave 12-19-2013 09:50 AM

Keeping Davis, a guy who was out played by a rookie and a blocking TE and cutting Hall, the only guy on the secondary who has consistently produced every year? :doh:

... I can already tell this is going to be a really long offseason.

skinsfaninok 12-19-2013 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=DynamiteRave;1050204]Keeping Davis, a guy who was out played by a rookie and a blocking TE and cutting Hall, the only guy on the secondary who has consistently produced every year? :doh:

... I can already tell this is going to be a really long offseason.[/QUOTE]

Yep

SmootSmack 12-19-2013 10:08 AM

I'd bring Barnett back. He will be a favorite to slide into the starting lineup (or at least get more playing time) with Fletch gone. You can't count on Keenan yet

Chico23231 12-19-2013 10:14 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1050208]I'd bring Barnett back. He will be a favorite to slide into the starting lineup (or at least get more playing time) with Fletch gone. You can't count on Keenan yet[/quote]

You still beating that Keenan drum?

Barnett is too old and Keenan too fragile, lot depends on what we are doing with the defense scheme wise. Both probably gone in my eyes.

Schneed10 12-19-2013 10:15 AM

[quote=Paintrain;1050197][URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4027/redskins-ufas-face-possible-fed-ex-finale"]John Keim posted about the 15 unrestricted free agents[/URL] the Redskins have and if this is their last game as a Redskin at Fed Ex Field. Simple question, if you were the GM would you tell them to pack or want to bring them back?

My opinion:
[B]BACK-[/B]
Brian Orakpo- Homegrown talent at a position of need that will be too expensive to replace in either draft capital or in free agency.

Fred Davis- Especially with a new coach, clean slate. He's got a ton of flaws but I think the right coach can find a way to make him productive again and Reed/Davis can be a devastating combo. Likely will be a one year deal again.

Perry Riley- See reasons for Orakpo.

Chris Baker- Good, young depth and occasional playmaker. This is the type of player in the Snyder era who has gotten away and flourished elsewhere.

E.J. Biggers- Young, fast, provides depth as well and shouldn't cost too much.

[B]PACK[/B]
Darryl Tapp, Rex Grossman, Nick Barnett-No individual comments needed, provided little or nothing on the field and won't be missed.

Santana Moss, Reed Doughty-Carryovers from the Gibbs years. Thanks for the service but their production can easily be met or surpassed by younger and cheaper players.

Josh Morgan- He enters the 'Deion Sanders' category of someone who should show up at Redskins Park with a ski mask on whenever he picks up his paycheck.

Josh Wilson & Deangelo Hall- It's time to move on from this duo. I don't know if Wilson would even be in the NFL this year if it wasn't for us. Hall played well all year but this seems like 2012 London Fletcher. We're seeing the last flickers of talent but shouldn't be fooled into thinking it's about to be a real fire again.

Rob Jackson- Really could go either way on him. He's a playmaker when given the chance but not talented or consistent enough to be a starter. Also, one stupid or careless move from a one year drug suspension so he can be replaced but it wouldn't be the worst move if he's retained.[/quote]

Pretty well formulated opinions, nice work.

I would boot Fred Davis, he hasn't shown me that he's willing to do the things necessary to be great. Logan Paulsen gives you what you want at #2 TE.

On the CBs, we really have to wait and see what happens with the defensive coaches and scheme. If we keep playing a zone like Haslett does, then waiting on Hall to see if he gets a big deal from some other team, and grabbing him for another low-cost one-year deal would be OK with me. But definitely don't give him a big deal, no matter what. Some team might be dumb enough to do it, if they do, let him go.

If we end up with a different defensive scheme then all bets are off and I'd like to see us start fresh with new CBs.

Schneed10 12-19-2013 10:16 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1050211]You still beating that Keenan drum?

Barnett is too old and Keenan too fragile, lot depends on what we are doing with the defense scheme wise. Both probably gone in my eyes.[/quote]

We have money to spend but still, can't count on filling every spot. I'd keep Barnett too, and keep looking for an even better option. Camp competition turns into depth.

firstdown 12-19-2013 10:20 AM

Why would you say Moss is to expensive when he will be a FA. We saw last week when you look his way he can still put up the numbers. If the price is right I'd have him back. You also want to cut Hall who has just had on of his best years but you want to keep Davis with all his flaws.

I forgot Hall will also be a FA so I'd be OK with maybe a 3 yr deal that we can get out of with no big cap hits.

RobH4413 12-19-2013 10:21 AM

Quick question, what is DeAngelo Hall's contract situation. I thought he only signed a one year deal?

I'm saying we bring him back, no?

EDIT: I should have just read more carefully. I vote bring him back

SmootSmack 12-19-2013 10:28 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1050211]You still beating that Keenan drum?

Barnett is too old and Keenan too fragile, lot depends on what we are doing with the defense scheme wise. Both probably gone in my eyes.[/quote]

What drum?

DynamiteRave 12-19-2013 10:29 AM

[quote=firstdown;1050215]Why would you say Moss is to expensive when he will be a FA. We saw last week when you look his way he can still put up the numbers. If the price is right I'd have him back. You also want to cut Hall who has just had on of his best years but you want to keep Davis with all his flaws.

I forgot Hall will also be a FA so I'd be OK with maybe a 3 yr deal that we can get out of with no big cap hits.[/quote]

Moss, I'm kind of on the cusp about. He's really old and is no way starting material, but he's a guy that has been consistent (although not as much this year) and I think still does have some gas left in the tank.

I wouldn't be sad to see him let go, but I'd like to see him retire a Redskin.

Paintrain 12-19-2013 10:32 AM

[quote=firstdown;1050215]Why would you say Moss is to expensive when he will be a FA. We saw last week when you look his way he can still put up the numbers. If the price is right I'd have him back. You also want to cut Hall who has just had on of his best years but you want to keep Davis with all his flaws.

I forgot Hall will also be a FA so I'd be OK with maybe a 3 yr deal that we can get out of with no big cap hits.[/quote]

On Moss, Hall and Davis I'm looking at age and upside.

Hall is 30 and is coming off one of his best years. If he comes back on a short, cheap deal then sure, that's fine. What are we going to see in 2014, 2015, 2016 that's going to match or improve on this year though, that's the question.

If Moss is back it would be a career achievement award. His production is replaceable at this stage. Next season he's going to be 36 and is not going to be MORE productive. Love the guy, great Redskin but not a building block for the future.

Davis is a risk/reward. He's still young enough and has the skills to be a productive #2 TE. He probably wants to be a starter somewhere but even last year he had no suitors. I wouldn't break the bank (even a piggy bank) however at the right price, with the right coach, he could be a solid retention for us. I'm not sold on Lunchpail Logan as a #2 TE. His blocking has dropped off dramatically this year and he's not really a threat in the passing game. As a #3 I'm fine with him but you can't go into a season with him as your #2 TE and expect to be prolific.

MTK 12-19-2013 10:32 AM

I'd bring back Rak, Riley, Baker, Jackson, and Hall. All the rest can hit the road for younger and cheaper options.

Chico23231 12-19-2013 10:32 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1050219]What drum?[/quote]

You've been a Keenum Robinson supporter since day one saying the 4th round pick could be a potential starter. I think after 2 injury plagued seasons he could be an afterthought in a regime change.