Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55894)

backrow 12-30-2013 05:40 PM

Re: The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

[quote=Paintrain;1052234]Yeah, it's really close IMO between us and Tampa.. No 1st round pick was the difference to bump us down one for me.[/quote]

+1! Maybe down one more notch just because of the rabid media and crazy fan base! Oh, that's right, we are the fan base!

SolidSnake84 12-30-2013 05:55 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;1052250]That is my hope, but there is one remaining link to the past 14 years, and he's still here. As long as Snyder is the Skins owner, there are going to be outsiders that look at this team as a circus, and that accounts into what candidates think.[/quote]

I agree with this post. I have had my share of hate on Snyder, as many of us have. I still believe that he gives his input who on who he thinks should play, and i believe that if the coaches disagree, he forces his will a little bit, which is his right i guess as owner. I think back to when Portis and other guys only had jobs because Dan said they did. Portis was at the point where he really shouldn't be a starter anymore, and they kept him in the lineup. But that's water under the bridge....

My thoughts are this: In 14 years, is it realistic to say that EVERY single coach was the wrong one for the job, or we just picked the wrong players, or the wrong coordinators, etc?? I just think it's hard to believe that every coach comes here and for the most part fails miserably because they are the wrong guy...i just think the problems start at the top and work their way down. It affects everyone and everything.

A new head coach = probably having a losing year next year (maybe not, we have an easy schedule supposedly), hoping for improvement by the 2nd year. Does Snyder fire again if this new coach (whoever he is) turns out 2 bad years in a row??? Questions that i think are worth asking...

SFREDSKIN 12-30-2013 06:39 PM

Washington is the best franchise of all the vacancies, franchise QB, good nucleus of young talent (could be next year's KC), 5 SB appearances (even if it was long ago) best fan base, cap space, hungry owner.

NC_Skins 12-30-2013 07:03 PM

[quote=Paintrain;1052232]2. Detroit-Again, playmakers on both sides of the ball, strong GM, strong OL & DL, young QB who has been successful.[/quote]

Detroit is about to hit a salary cap brick wall within the next two years. Stafford, Johnson, and Suh's contracts have crippled them and their idiot GM played "kick the can" with their contracts like Vinny did. Even in cutting one or two, that cap will be hamstrung by dead cap money.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1642954-5-teams-facing-dire-salary-cap-situations-in-2014/page/4]5 Teams Facing Dire Salary Cap Situations in 2014 | Bleacher Report[/url]

Three players alone are going to account for 53.5 million of their salary cap and they are looking at 15 over the cap. Keep in mind, they've already restructured Staffords and Johnson's contracts.

Granted, if the object is to get there win within these next two years and jet, I'd say this is the best coaching spot available outside of the Texans.

OmahaRedskins 12-30-2013 07:29 PM

We can all agree that Snyder been a meddling owner, but most respectable source say he has been very hands off over the last few years. These reports of Snyder interfering with RG3 and the RG3 character assignation were leaked by “The Shanny”. For whatever reason, he wanted out of town last year. I believe he knew it wasn’t working between him and Baby Shanny. Instead of firing his son and admitting he made the mistake, he tried to get fired and take the heat from “lil Shanny”

44Deezel 12-30-2013 07:37 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1052216]On paper, it's probably the best.

But taking the media circus into consideration and how the last HC spent the last half of the season throwing the owner and practically the organization under the bus, I think it's probably the worst.[/quote]

It's only a media circus if they lose. Any candidate who's afraid of what will happen IF they lose need not apply. I think we'd all rather have candidates who are 100% confident in their ability to win. Being scared of losing is a defeatist mentality.

Any candidate for an NFL head coaching job has to have accomplished something in life, so I doubt they consider the ramifications for being unsuccessful the way fans sitting on their couches do. These guys all have egos and expect to win.

44Deezel 12-30-2013 07:41 PM

[quote=donofriose;1052224]I think Houston will be more coveted by coaches.
Both Washington and Houston had QBs who made the pro bowl in 2012 and won their division. They both played terribly this year so RG3 is not a for sure thing at QB that coaches would want to come here for. Plus Houston has the number one pick if a coach wants to draft his own guy and develop him. That would be very attractive to a lot of coaches.[/quote]

Good points. But I'd be concerned about the health of their #1 asset on Offense, Arian Foster, and the age of the #2 asset, Andre Johnson. Also, I think Schaub having a bad year at the stage of his career vs. RG3 in only his 2nd year is more concerning.

But I don't doubt that some candidates might find that to be a better situation.

44Deezel 12-30-2013 07:49 PM

[quote=The Goat;1052238]Great thread. Houston is probably as desirable as DC, but not by much. That team has less talent on offense IMO, but more on defense.

The Lions are the most talented team looking for a new HC but have a really lousy cap situation and play in a damn tough division with the Packers and a Bears team that probably gets better next year.[/quote]

Good points on Detroit's division and cap issues. You also have to wonder why they haven't been more successful with the talent they have on Offense - namely, a 5000 yard passer and Megatron.

If this year was an aberration for RG3, the next coach is going to have success without having to do anything.

I think the situation here is unique with the $36 mil cap penalty over the last 2 years. The situation should drastically improve by default. The new coach will have a much greater opportunity to immediately improve the roster and will have a full compliment of draft picks in just their second year.

What's the contract situation with Stafford? If he's taking up too much of their cap, it's going to be more difficult to put the pieces they need around him.

44Deezel 12-30-2013 07:51 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;1052250]That is my hope, but there is one remaining link to the past 14 years, and he's still here. As long as Snyder is the Skins owner, there are going to be outsiders that look at this team as a circus, and that accounts into what candidates think.[/quote]

I don't think he's done anything over the last 4 years to scare anyone off and Bruce Allen is well respected. Snyder gave Shanny 4 years and didn't fire him mid-season in a knee-jerk reaction to their miserable record. And, again, he's not afraid to spend on coaches.

The next coach should feel confident that he'll get a fair shake and will be given every opportunity to win.

irish 12-31-2013 07:53 AM

[quote=diehardskin2982;1052237]We are the 2nd or 3rd best jobs in the league. The Lions have a culture problem. A head coach can fix that and I believe they have pending cap issues.[/quote]

Nobody has a bigger culture problem than the Skins.

Gary84Clark 12-31-2013 08:05 AM

[quote=irish;1052361]Nobody has a bigger culture problem than the Skins.[/quote]

Ah yes teh great american past time. The culture wars. Lert's leave it out of football please.

RFKRat 12-31-2013 08:40 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1052264]Washington is the best franchise of all the vacancies, franchise QB, good nucleus of young talent (could be next year's KC), 5 SB appearances (even if it was long ago) best fan base, cap space, hungry owner.[/quote]

This franchise is a disaster. Surf around, look at what other media outlets are saying about the Redskins. Other fanbases. People around the NFL. A franchise QB you say? Others say an overrated, arrogant, me-first guy who has issues with his coaches and some teammates. Not to mention having his Daddy hanging around making unneccessary demands, "suggestions" etc. A good nucleus of young talent?? What? Really? This team is awful in so many areas, here again is where too many fans think they have a better team than what's really here. I mean...3-13..let that sink in. Good talent?

5 SB's?? Really? The last one was how many years ago? Nobody gives a flying fart what happened in 1992. How many playoff wins since then?

Best fan base? Really? You mean the one that for years only shows up when the team is winning? Did you not see the KC game? The Dallas game where over half the stadium was cheering for Dallas? This fan base is the biggest bandwagon rider in the league and has been for years.

Cap space? They don't have nearly as much as some other teams do. Besides the Redskins have so many holes they need ten times as much as they have to go get anyone good. Not that many good FAs will want to come to this train wreck of a team. And many other teams have all their draft picks as well.

A hungry owner? What? You mean an arrogant, meddling, weasel of an owner? The atmosphere here is poisonous....there's no other way to put it. Coaches will always be under Danny's thumb here.

This franchise, the one that stood for honor, winning, integrity, etc is DEAD. Gone. It will never be the glory years again. The problem is there are too many fans that think a snap of the fingers will fix things and they'll be a contender again, so they keep forking over money to Danny for tickets and merchandise, etc...and the team ends up sucking again and again and again. No matter who coaches, who gets drafted, signed as free agents, it's always the same....

I think this job is easily one of the worst in the league now, if not the absolute worst. Listening to Allen blather on about how "the right people are in charge now" etc made me want to puke. Isn't that what they said about the Shanahans, etc...

Nothing is going to change here.

Lotus 12-31-2013 08:41 AM

[quote=Gary84Clark;1052364]Ah yes teh great american past time. The culture wars. Lert's leave it out of football please.[/quote]

Talking about the culture of a locker room is very different than talking about general public culture wars.

htownskinfan 12-31-2013 08:50 AM

[quote=RFKRat;1052382]This franchise is a disaster. Surf around, look at what other media outlets are saying about the Redskins. Other fanbases. People around the NFL. A franchise QB you say? Others say an overrated, arrogant, me-first guy who has issues with his coaches and some teammates. Not to mention having his Daddy hanging around making unneccessary demands, "suggestions" etc. A good nucleus of young talent?? What? Really? This team is awful in so many areas, here again is where too many fans think they have a better team than what's really here. I mean...3-13..let that sink in. Good talent?

5 SB's?? Really? The last one was how many years ago? Nobody gives a flying fart what happened in 1992. How many playoff wins since then?

Best fan base? Really? You mean the one that for years only shows up when the team is winning? Did you not see the KC game? The Dallas game where over half the stadium was cheering for Dallas? This fan base is the biggest bandwagon rider in the league and has been for years.

Cap space? They don't have nearly as much as some other teams do. Besides the Redskins have so many holes they need ten times as much as they have to go get anyone good. Not that many good FAs will want to come to this train wreck of a team. And many other teams have all their draft picks as well.

A hungry owner? What? You mean an arrogant, meddling, weasel of an owner? The atmosphere here is poisonous....there's no other way to put it. Coaches will always be under Danny's thumb here.

This franchise, the one that stood for honor, winning, integrity, etc is DEAD. Gone. It will never be the glory years again. The problem is there are too many fans that think a snap of the fingers will fix things and they'll be a contender again, so they keep forking over money to Danny for tickets and merchandise, etc...and the team ends up sucking again and again and again. No matter who coaches, who gets drafted, signed as free agents, it's always the same....

I think this job is easily one of the worst in the league now, if not the absolute worst. Listening to Allen blather on about how "the right people are in charge now" etc made me want to puke. Isn't that what they said about the Shanahans, etc...

Nothing is going to change here.[/quote]

Wow is that negative!
Unfortunately I cant say your wrong about anything

If I had my choice of the openings I would pick the Texans.Great owner,have the first pick in the draft.If they draft the right qb I think they'll be ready to go

MTK 12-31-2013 09:02 AM

Like any opening, there are pros and cons here. It's not all doom and gloom. There's talent on the offense, the team will have more than enough cap room to make some impact moves, and it's a high profile gig.