Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's talk about the front office situation (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55911)

MTK 02-10-2014 04:10 PM

Re: Let's talk about the front office situation

[quote=JoeRedskin;1059112]So a guy in my office is convinced that hiring Williams is just cronyism at its worst and that Williams wouldn't have a shot at an NFL job but for the Skins hiring him. Is hiring Williams just a "callous and obvious attempt to appeal to past glory"? Or does Williams have a real role to fill?

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Well, it's not his first front office gig.

He worked under Allen in Tampa, that relationship is the main reason he's here not the fact he won a SB.

NYCskinfan82 02-10-2014 04:49 PM

[url=http://sonofwashington.com/does-doug-williams-hurt-or-improve-redskins/]Does Doug Williams Hurt Or Improve Redskins - Son of Washington[/url]

Saw this not a bad or good read.

NC_Skins 02-10-2014 05:42 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1059112]So a guy in my office is convinced that hiring Williams is just cronyism at its worst and that Williams wouldn't have a shot at an NFL job but for the Skins hiring him. Is hiring Williams just a "callous and obvious attempt to appeal to past glory"? Or does Williams have a real role to fill?

Any thoughts?[/quote]

I think the guy in your office is probably right. I see nothing in Williams career that should have him over personnel. He was a actual scout for ONE year. ONE!!!

MTK 02-10-2014 05:44 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;1059120][url=http://sonofwashington.com/does-doug-williams-hurt-or-improve-redskins/]Does Doug Williams Hurt Or Improve Redskins - Son of Washington[/url]

Saw this not a bad or good read.[/quote]

[quote][B]If it weren’t for nagging injuries to then starting quarterback Jay Schrader in 1987, Doug Williams would have never seen the field in the playoffs nor the Super Bowl.[/B] During his playoff run, his numbers weren’t anything spectacular as many suspect. His highest completion percentage being 48.3 (lowest 34.6) 207 yards (lowest 119) and two touchdowns. In essence, Doug Williams has lived off of ONE quarter during his 11 year football career.[/quote]

False.

I'm guessing this guy is too young to remember.

Schroeder isn't even spelled right.

CRedskinsRule 02-10-2014 06:31 PM

Any thoughts?[/quote]

I think he is probably closer to right then wrong, but I doubt that it's a make or break hire either. Allen knows Williams from Tampa, he has the connection to the Redskins, and he wasn't getting wow'ed by other offers I assume. When looking at players, I tend to think as many good eyes as possible, what's important is how the person who makes the final call treats the input. We won't know that for a year or two at least.

HailGreen28 02-10-2014 07:46 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;1059130]I think the guy in your office is probably right. I see nothing in Williams career that should have him over personnel. He was a actual scout for ONE year. ONE!!![/quote]Well, he was in the Tampa front office from 2004-2010. And I read that Pete Carrol's experience scouting as college HC, helped him build the Seahawks. Maybe Williams also has similar experience at Grambling? :confused?:

skinsfan69 02-10-2014 09:41 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;1059120][url=http://sonofwashington.com/does-doug-williams-hurt-or-improve-redskins/]Does Doug Williams Hurt Or Improve Redskins - Son of Washington[/url]

Saw this not a bad or good read.[/quote]

The guy who wrote this is an idiot. Williams had several good games during 87, including a few where he came off the bench to win the game.

Also in the playoffs....Chicago had a truly great defense in a game that was played in minus 10 degrees. Not ideal passing passing conditions. Minnesota also had a great defense as well. Williams didn't turn the ball over and wasn't taking sacks in those games where Jay S most certainly would have. Dude needs to do his homework.

skinsfan69 02-10-2014 09:46 PM

[quote=Mattyk;1059131]False.

I'm guessing this guy is too young to remember.

Schroeder isn't even spelled right.[/quote]

I would say he's partially right about the injuries, or injury. Reggie White fell on Jay S shoulder that first game and Williams came off the bench and played very well, starting the controversy.

skinsfan69 02-10-2014 09:49 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;1059130]I think the guy in your office is probably right. I see nothing in Williams career that should have him over personnel. He was a actual scout for ONE year. ONE!!![/quote]

You're acting like he was named general manager. In the end, Brown and Campbell are going to carry the most weight in recommendations to Allen.

T.O.Killa 02-10-2014 10:37 PM

Where does AJ Smith fit in. His credentials are pretty good.

"Smith was promoted to general manager after then-Chargers GM John Butler died of cancer in 2003.[2] He inherited a team that was 14-34 in its previous three seasons, and had not made the playoffs since 1995. Smith directed the Chargers to five AFC West division titles and eight consecutive seasons without a losing record.[3] San Diego's 7–9 record in 2012 was their first losing season since Smith's first season in 2003. Missing the playoffs for the third straight season, the Chargers fired Smith and head coach Norv Turner the day after the 2012 season ended. Over his tenure, Smith allowed Darren Sproles, Michael Turner and Vincent Jackson to leave the Chargers without finding adequate replacements.[2] The Chargers' offensive line grew weak in 2012. Quarterback Philip Rivers was frequently forced to scramble and was sacked 49 times, contributing to his 22 turnovers—47 over the previous two seasons.[2][4]

Due to public perceptions that he brings an arrogant approach to contract dealings and that his strategies involve high-risk/high-reward, Smith has been both widely praised and criticized by fans and media.[5]"

MTK 02-10-2014 11:05 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1059140]I would say he's partially right about the injuries, or injury. Reggie White fell on Jay S shoulder that first game and Williams came off the bench and played very well, starting the controversy.[/quote]

Yeah that started it, but later on it was more about Schroeder flat out not playing well and giving way to Williams.

Ruhskins 02-10-2014 11:30 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;1059143]Where does AJ Smith fit in. His credentials are pretty good.

"Smith was promoted to general manager after then-Chargers GM John Butler died of cancer in 2003.[2] He inherited a team that was 14-34 in its previous three seasons, and had not made the playoffs since 1995. Smith directed the Chargers to five AFC West division titles and eight consecutive seasons without a losing record.[3] San Diego's 7–9 record in 2012 was their first losing season since Smith's first season in 2003. Missing the playoffs for the third straight season, the Chargers fired Smith and head coach Norv Turner the day after the 2012 season ended. Over his tenure, Smith allowed Darren Sproles, Michael Turner and Vincent Jackson to leave the Chargers without finding adequate replacements.[2] The Chargers' offensive line grew weak in 2012. Quarterback Philip Rivers was frequently forced to scramble and was sacked 49 times, contributing to his 22 turnovers—47 over the previous two seasons.[2][4]

Due to public perceptions that he brings an arrogant approach to contract dealings and that his strategies involve high-risk/high-reward, Smith has been both widely praised and criticized by fans and media.[5]"[/quote]

Looks like AJ Smith is good at finding talent but not good at keeping them (contract stuff). I assume he serves as a consultant in terms of finding talent, since BA seems to be fully in charge of contracts and whatnot. If that is the case, then I'm fine with him continuing in that role.

Paintrain 02-11-2014 10:56 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;1059130]I think the guy in your office is probably right. I see nothing in Williams career that should have him over personnel. He was a actual scout for ONE year. ONE!!![/quote]

Is he 'over personnel' or a voice in the room? I don't recall seeing anywhere that he has any final decision making power.

Monkeydad 02-12-2014 11:39 AM

[quote=saden1;1052861]You are right...I am seriously considering the option of finding another team root for. I am in a transitional form.[/quote]

You were actually a Redskins fan before? Never would have guessed...

whistler 02-15-2014 10:51 AM

This guy is not living in reality! Williams was a front office guy in Jacksonville and Tampa, whether his duties were as a scout or as a assisting the GM he worked in a NFL front office previously. I wish NC_skins could tell me how long and under what circumstances did Ozzy Newsome work in the Cleveland Browns front office before becoming one of the better GMs in the league.