Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jay Gruden hired as head coach of the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=56052)

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-09-2014 09:46 AM

Re: Jay Gruden hired as head coach of the Redskins

[quote=Gmanc711;1054241]Sean McVay as offensive coordinator who is TWENTY SEVEN. Holy crap I'm old and unsuccessful.[/quote]

If it helps, you are also older than 35% of NFL players, and Justin Beiber.

skinsfan69 01-09-2014 09:50 AM

Obviously he was their guy. They got the guy they wanted so let's see what happens!

chrisl13 01-09-2014 09:50 AM

I dont know how to feel about Sean McVay. He's been heavily endorsed and said to be on the up and coming but I guess we must wait and see...

Chico23231 01-09-2014 09:51 AM

[url=http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4684/quick-takes-jay-gruden]Quick Takes: Jay Gruden - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN[/url]

Keim

"6.I know Jay Gruden’s brother, Jon, is high on Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins. During an interview I had with him before the Monday night game against San Francisco, Jon Gruden brought up his name unprompted. Does that mean his brother is equally high on Cousins? Don’t know. I do know he preferred Andy Dalton over Colin Kaepernick when they both came out of college. But Gruden said that was more because Dalton was much closer to being ready to play immediately. A number of teams liked Kaepernick, but felt he was more of a project. What does it mean for Robert Griffin III? One person involved in the process said if Gruden could turn Dalton into a playoff quarterback, what could he do with Griffin? We might find out soon. Also, Griffin was a consensus top-2 pick, so we're not talking a direct comparison and that Gruden somehow does not like this style of quarterback. Most coaches like quarterbacks who have talent. Griffin remains the most talented one on the Redskins'"

hmmm

Ruhskins 01-09-2014 09:52 AM

I'm fine with the Jay Gruden hire, experienced NFL OC from a team that has had three straight playoff appearances with a 30-18 record in a competitive AFC North. He has made something out of nothing in Andy Dalton. We didn't go for the splashy hire, retread coach, some guy out of retirement or a college coach experiment.

Hijinx 01-09-2014 09:54 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1054224]Could go down as the biggest f*cking mistake of the Danny Era[/quote]

That would be saying a lot. Or you don't remember Spurrier and Zorn.

cdskins26 01-09-2014 09:56 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1054248][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4684/quick-takes-jay-gruden]Quick Takes: Jay Gruden - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN[/url]

Keim

"6.I know Jay Gruden’s brother, Jon, is high on Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins. During an interview I had with him before the Monday night game against San Francisco, Jon Gruden brought up his name unprompted. Does that mean his brother is equally high on Cousins? Don’t know. I do know he preferred Andy Dalton over Colin Kaepernick when they both came out of college. But Gruden said that was more because Dalton was much closer to being ready to play immediately. A number of teams liked Kaepernick, but felt he was more of a project. What does it mean for Robert Griffin III? One person involved in the process said if Gruden could turn Dalton into a playoff quarterback, what could he do with Griffin? We might find out soon. Also, Griffin was a consensus top-2 pick, so we're not talking a direct comparison and that Gruden somehow does not like this style of quarterback. Most coaches like quarterbacks who have talent. Griffin remains the most talented one on the Redskins'"

hmmm[/quote]

While the media has tried it's best to spin what I'm
about to say as negatively as possible, there's no way Jay Gruden would have been hired, let alone hired this quickly, if the organization as well as Jay weren't completely dead-set on Griff being the starting qb they build this offense around. No way around that

FRPLG 01-09-2014 09:58 AM

I'll say this about Haz. At various times our D looked absolutely outclassed and incapable of doing anything. That's reflective of the talent more than anything. Knowing that and considering at times they also looked almost good for stretches perhaps maybe Haz did a better job than we think given the talent level, Note: this is my eternal optimism shining through I am pretty sure.

KI Skins Fan 01-09-2014 09:59 AM

[quote=cdskins26;1054252]While the media has tried it's best to spin what I'm
about to say as negatively as possible, there's no way Jay Gruden would have been hired, let alone hired this quickly, if the organization as well as Jay weren't completely dead-set on Griff being the starting qb they build this offense around. No way around that[/quote]

Your are correct!

skinsfan69 01-09-2014 10:00 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1054248][URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4684/quick-takes-jay-gruden"]Quick Takes: Jay Gruden - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN[/URL]

Keim

hmmm[/quote]

For everyone that's down on Dalton, he actually had some monster games this year. He had 33 td's, his turnovers were obviously up but let's not act like Dalton is a garbage QB. He's made the playoffs every year and his numbers got better every year. To me that's a positive. Whether Gruden prefers Griff's style over a Cousins type? ...we'll see. But I would also think that Gruden isn't going to be loyal to either guy.

Chico23231 01-09-2014 10:00 AM

[quote=Hijinx;1054250]That would be saying a lot. Or you don't remember Spurrier and Zorn.[/quote]

The Zorn HC pick would rival it, but the Spurrier hire was worth a shot. Alot of teams were lined up to hire Spurrier. But when you make a HC hire to move forward, but hold on to the DC from the past regime who didnt do a f*cking thing but fail could waste Jay Gruden years here. Big mistake

backrow 01-09-2014 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=Hijinx;1054250]That would be saying a lot. Or you don't remember Spurrier and Zorn.[/QUOTE

Did you have to bring them up?

Lotus 01-09-2014 10:01 AM

If we are to stick to the 3-4 we should have Wade Philips as DC instead.

Paintrain 01-09-2014 10:02 AM

I'm ok with it, not excited, not disappointed. He's coming in with his eyes wide open with his relationships already in the building and I'd think that if there were serious concerns about Robert being coachable or his relationship with Snyder, they would have warned him off. Also the promotion of Sean McVay to OC means those two have a good relationship and a foundation to work from.

Bottom line, the roster has to improve in key spots and the noise/drama needs to stop in order for this to be successful.

KI Skins Fan 01-09-2014 10:03 AM

[quote=FRPLG;1054253]I'll say this about Haz. At various times our D looked absolutely outclassed and incapable of doing anything. That's reflective of the talent more than anything. Knowing that and considering at times they also looked almost good for stretches perhaps maybe Haz did a better job than we think given the talent level, Note: this is my eternal optimism shining through I am pretty sure.[/quote]

Just tell me who called the prevent defense on 4th down and goal against Dallas. If Shanny overruled Haz, then OK, I might be judging Haz too harshly. But if Haz called it, then he needs to get the **** out of town - now!