Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Working out. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5618)

Daseal 03-28-2005 05:48 PM

Working out.

I know a few people on this site work out, and I seem to remember one person being a personal trainer, at least at one point. So I have a few questions.

Okay, basicly I have 3 gyms available to me at the University I attend, and I really would like to start getting into shape a bit more. I don't particularly like tread mills and have decided to start running outside, but I'd like to do a bit more.

I basicly want to just tone my body, I have a lot more lower body strength than upper, and I'd just like to gain a little upper body but more than anything just tone. I've started to get a small belly which I want to get rid of. I'm wondering what type of time investment, excersizes, and type of results I can expect. Thanks for any help!

RedskinRat 03-28-2005 05:56 PM

Re: Working out.

Swim.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-28-2005 06:05 PM

Daseal, I got pretty cut (I never thought I would have a six pack before, but I do now) by doing running and eating a lot of protein and select carbohydrates. One day I found the exercises that the guy who played "The Punisher" did and in the course of losing 50 pounds, I feel like I put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle.

To put on about 1-2 pounds of muscle a week, you should try to eat your body weight in grams of proteins each day. (I suggest fish)

In terms of losing the belly, if you do about a total of 100-150 reps working out all areas of your stomach 3 times a week and eat decent food and drink lots of water, you can expect to lose that gut in 2-3 weeks.

This is from my own personal experience, but it's something that worked for me. I'll try and find that website for you that had whatshisname from Punisher.

NOT Dolph Lundgren. LOL

Daseal 03-28-2005 06:21 PM

[quote]In terms of losing the belly, if you do about a total of 100-150 reps working out all areas of your stomach[/quote]

What type of excersizes, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this!

Gmanc711 03-28-2005 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]What type of excersizes, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this![/QUOTE]

Thats actually somthing I would like to know as well. I'm pretty toned and built in all the area's of my body, but I still have a little gut that I have problmes with. I just cant find an ab workout that will work for me. What did you do, Malcom?

TheMalcolmConnection 03-28-2005 06:42 PM

The main thing is that you have to remember that fat melts off the body like a snowman. It's the fattiest parts of our bodies that get skinny last. Basically I have a set of 2-3 exercises for each part of my abdominals (upper, middle, lower and obliques).

For the upper, lay flat on your back and do 15 normal crunches, keeping your elbows behind your head but make sure they are pointed completely outward (form is VERY important to this). Rest for 30 seconds, then put your knees at a 90 degree angle from your body (this is hard to explain in words) with your feet perpendicular from your body and knees together. Do 15 more reps and rest 30 more seconds. Then put your foot together and spread your knees as far apart as possible. Same deal, 15 reps, but this time rest for 2 minutes before you begin the middle abs.

For the middle, put your hands underneath your hips/butt and pull your knees straight to your chest and then back out but never touch the floor. Also do these for 15 reps and rest for 30 seconds. The next exercise is to alternate knees to your chest (like a bicycle) for 15 reps for each leg.

Rest for 2 minutes and then get in the push-up position. Except in this position, rest your elbows and forearms on the floor. Suck in your abdominals muscles are hard as you can for a count of 60-80 and make sure you breathe. Basically, try to get your belly button to "touch" your spinal cord.

I gotta run out for a second, but I'll be back and list the rest...

TheMalcolmConnection 03-28-2005 08:39 PM

Sorry for the delay...

Anyway, to get your obliques, put your knees to one side and do 15 reps of crunches on that side and switch positions. If you have weights, 35-45 pounds seem to be good, put one of them in one arm and lean to the side as far down as you can go and do 15 reps on each side. Then, take a dumbbell or anything like a broom and put it on your shoulders. Sway back and forth with your feet shoulder width apart without turning your hips. Do 15 reps for each side.

After that workout, your stomach will be KILLING you the next day if you did good form.

In addition to that workout, I really only walked/jogged 3-4 miles a day, drank only water and ate sandwiches (ham and cheese) and omelettes with a slice of whole wheat bread. It gets kind of boring so I'm open to any suggestions food-wise.

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about at all, this is just what worked to give me the abs I always wanted. So far, it's been VERY low maintenance. I've only gained about 3-4 pounds back and it's been over 2 years. I just walk/jog 2-3 miles about 5-6 days a week and the pounds stay off and you stay completely energized the whole week.

AND I have plenty of room in my diet for hops and barley! :)

joecrisp 03-28-2005 09:46 PM

Daseal, I'm the former personal trainer. I was certified for 3 years with the YMCA and ACE.

Malcolm's got a great workout routine-- his abdominal workout is fantastic-- and it sounds like he really has made a lot of improvement with it. You'll notice he does a lot of cardio work, too, and that's really where the fat loss comes from. You simply [I]have to [/I] maintain a steady cardio routine to keep the fat from piling on around the midsection.

Malcolm plays down the amount of cardio he's doing, but for most people, that's actually a lot. However, if you really want to reduce body fat, a steady diet of relatively intense cardio (60%-80% max heart rate for 15-20 minutes, 3 to 5 days a week) is an absolute necessity. The key is finding a variety of cardio exercises that work for you.

Personally, I've become a cross-trainer devotee. I like the upper-lower body dynamic that those machines provide, and I never get bored with them. I generally do 18-20 minutes on the cross-trainer, 5 days a week, using the cardio program on the machine. The cardio program automatically adjusts the resistance to keep your heartrate in the optimal "cardio zone" (60%-80% max heartrate), using heartrate sensors on the handgrips.

As far as weight training goes, I've found that I can get the same results from 1-set training that I can get from 3- or 4-set training. The key is using a resistance that will LIMIT you to your target reps in that one set. If you're shooting for 12 reps, use a weight that you can only lift 12 times. Once you get to the point where you can lift that weight 14 or 15 times, it's time to move up to the next weight that will limit you to 12 reps.

My upper-body workout generally consists of the 18-to-20 minute cardio program (I open every workout with the cardio--both to warm-up and for the fat-burning, cardio-enhancement effect), followed by stretching, and then a circuit of dumbbell press, seated row, overhead dumbbell press, lat pull-down, lateral raises, cable-crossover, dumbbell bicep curls, and finally, triceps extension. I do the weight training exercises with very little rest in-between exercises (just enough time to put the weights away, drink some water, and move on to the next exercise), and I find that my heartrate generally stays in the "cardio zone" throughout most of my workout. When you combine the 18-20 minutes of cardio exercise to open the workout, with approximately 20 minutes of weight training wherein my heartrate is in that same elevated zone, that means I'm burning a lot of fat.

In fact, while I was working as a personal trainer, I followed this routine religiously (5 days a week), and actually dropped down from about 8% body fat to 3.5% body fat in about six months. At the same time, I put on about 8 to 10 lbs of lean mass.

But like Malcolm was saying, you have to eat right. You've got to make sure you're taking in enough protein to compensate for your exercise program, and avoid simple sugars as much as possible. Consume only complex carbohydrates in the form of whole grains, and avoid loading up on carbs at night.

I'm not a big proponent of supplements or special diets, though. I strongly believe that you can avoid a lot of expense and frustration by simply eating a balanced, sensible diet-- avoiding sugars and empty calories, and getting plenty of lean protein; both in animal and vegetable form. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, and drink plenty of water, milk and juices.

MTK 03-28-2005 09:57 PM

Hey Dasael, I've found that a great alternative to a treadmill is an elliptical machine. I bought one back in October and I love it, and I'm the kind of person that hates running. But with the elliptical I use at 3-4 times per week at 30 minutes per shot and it's a great workout.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-28-2005 10:18 PM

joecrisp, it's great to talk to someone who is certified.

Now that you're here I HAVE a few questions myself. :) I had been trying to put on some muscle. I've been eating all my protein (no supplements, I do every natural) varying my workout (changing reps/routines/time of day) and I'm hardly noticing any difference. I've gotten on a big plateau.

Any suggestions???

And thanks a lot for the compliments/motivation... It's just something I've tried to stick with since I lost the weight.

Gmanc711 03-28-2005 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Hey Dasael, I've found that a great alternative to a treadmill is an elliptical machine. I bought one back in October and I love it, and I'm the kind of person that hates running. But with the elliptical I use at 3-4 times per week at 30 minutes per shot and it's a great workout.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree 100% here. I love to run outside, but I hate the tredmills, plus they kill the knees. The Elliptical, in my opinion give you a better workout and its not tough on the knees or joints because its such a smooth, flowing motion.

joecrisp 03-28-2005 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]joecrisp, it's great to talk to someone who is certified.

Now that you're here I HAVE a few questions myself. :) I had been trying to put on some muscle. I've been eating all my protein (no supplements, I do every natural) varying my workout (changing reps/routines/time of day) and I'm hardly noticing any difference. I've gotten on a big plateau.

Any suggestions???

And thanks a lot for the compliments/motivation... It's just something I've tried to stick with since I lost the weight.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, sometimes the best cure for the endless plateau is rest. If you've been on a pretty steady program for a significant amount of time (4-6 months), you'll usually find yourself hitting that plateau, and it seems impossible to break out of it. You might want to try inserting one or two weeks of active rest for every six-to-eight weeks of weight training. By active rest, I mean finding other activities (recreational sports, hiking, yardwork, etc.) to keep your body active, while providing the muscles an opportunity to rest and heal.

Prolonged plateaus that don't respond to significant variations in the training program are usually an indication that the body needs rest. I've often found that by simply laying off the weights for a week or two, I feel stronger and more energized and enthusiastic when I go back to the training program, and I start progressing again.

But you took the right steps by trying to change-up your routine, modifying the reps and exercises, trying different schedules. When those modifications don't work, your body's usually trying to tell you that it needs a little break.

RedskinRat 03-28-2005 11:00 PM

Great to get all this free advice, thanks Joe.

Another thing I'd suggest is to get a subscription to Men's Health (or something similar), it'll give you a variety of ideas on exercises so you don't get bored or in a rut.

NY_Skinsfan 03-28-2005 11:32 PM

JoeCrisp,
Here's the thing, I work nights and sleep during the day. When I am up I spend as much time with my two year old until she goes to sleep. I have a couple hours on my own before I have to go back to work...Basically no time to get to the gym and frankly, can't afford it now.

Do you have any suggestions for me. I can see the cardio workout is very important but how can I do that from home.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Daseal 03-29-2005 12:54 AM

Wow - thanks for all the suggestions guys. Good to see lots of other people on this site are active and can give me pointers!

Now all I have to do is lookup half the words you guys said, and then try to get over my fear of entering a gym!