Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins 2014 Salary Cap Status (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=56337)

Schneed10 02-04-2014 12:38 PM

Re: Redskins 2014 Salary Cap Status

Over on Redskins Insider at the WP they're discussing what Perry Riley might be worth to resign. They mention that London Fletcher made nearly $11M over the last two seasons, and thus Riley might ask for more than that given that he's younger and potentially more impactful.

That's absurd. He may start his negotiation that way, but there's no way any team will pay him near $6M per season, in my opinion. What do you guys think is the right target for Riley?

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/02/04/offseason-questions-how-much-is-perry-riley-jr-worth/]Offseason questions: How much is Perry Riley Jr. worth?[/url]

SkinsFanOttawa 02-04-2014 12:52 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1058725]That's absurd. He may start his negotiation that way, but there's no way any team will pay him near $6M per season, in my opinion. What do you guys think is the right target for Riley?

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/02/04/offseason-questions-how-much-is-perry-riley-jr-worth/]Offseason questions: How much is Perry Riley Jr. worth?[/url][/quote]

I just read this article too and almost spit out my sandwich. There is no way that Riley is worth even close to that much. He is an average or maybe slightly above average inside LB who isn't that great of a run stopper if you ask me. He's good, just not worth elite type money for that position. For what Riley is looking for that's Sean Lee type of money or a guy like Paul Posluszny.

I think he's worth somewhere in the $3-4M range tops. I know we are thin at that position but let him walk if need be and test out the waters and see if he gets what he thinks he's worth. In the meantime we draft a guy, let Keenan Robinson take one of the spots and resign Barnett and another FA like Donald Butler or Pat Angerer who wouldn't be asking for AS much I don't think.

Lotus 02-04-2014 01:06 PM

Riley shouldn't be asking for Fletcher money until he makes the Pro Bowl.

Chico23231 02-04-2014 01:07 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1058725]Over on Redskins Insider at the WP they're discussing what Perry Riley might be worth to resign. They mention that London Fletcher made nearly $11M over the last two seasons, and thus Riley might ask for more than that given that he's younger and potentially more impactful.

That's absurd. He may start his negotiation that way, but there's no way any team will pay him near $6M per season, in my opinion. What do you guys think is the right target for Riley?

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/02/04/offseason-questions-how-much-is-perry-riley-jr-worth/]Offseason questions: How much is Perry Riley Jr. worth?[/url][/quote]

thats fucking retarded. walk. im gonna be pissed if we pay him, but let players more talented at their positions, Carlos and Landry, walk.

That Guy 02-04-2014 01:18 PM

$2M/year tops i'd think. what's he done that's so incredible?

fletcher was making that much based on how well he was playing 3 years ago and based on his knowledge of the D/ability to get guys lined up properly. Shannahan would have re-worked or cut fletcher if he were anyone else not named london fletcher, but he had too much respect to ask him to take a pay cut.

if fletcher wasn't worth nearly the 5.5M he was paid, riley is obviously worth way less than that.

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2014 01:38 PM

Riley is one of our core ST and best ILB. Does he deserve Fletcher money know, but he is one of ours that we should keep. I would think 3-4yr /with an avg of around 4 ought to be a reasonable contract.

dmek25 02-04-2014 02:58 PM

thanks for the work schneed....someone told me the cowboys are about 25 million over? do you know anything about that?

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2014 05:48 PM

[quote=dmek25;1058742]thanks for the work schneed....someone told me the cowboys are about 25 million over? do you know anything about that?[/quote]

Right now, from Overthecap, their top 51 are at 140mil, plus 11mil in dead cap.

If the Salary cap comes in at 127, that would be the 25 million over.

BUT they will definitely restructure Romo (hurt back and all) to save about 10mil, and Ware is expected to restructure or take a paycut to save about 6 million.

Schneed10 02-04-2014 08:22 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1058751]Right now, from Overthecap, their top 51 are at 140mil, plus 11mil in dead cap.

If the Salary cap comes in at 127, that would be the 25 million over.

BUT they will definitely restructure Romo (hurt back and all) to save about 10mil, and Ware is expected to restructure or take a paycut to save about 6 million.[/quote]

Yep well said. They'll be able to restructure quite a bit, but they'll definitely still shed some under-performing players. And the more they restructure, the more they kick the can down the road. Eventually they're going to have to blow that whole thing up, even if that won't be this season.

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2014 08:30 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1058765]Yep well said. They'll be able to restructure quite a bit, but they'll definitely still shed some under-performing players. And the more they restructure, the more they kick the can down the road. Eventually they're going to have to blow that whole thing up, even if that won't be this season.[/quote]

What would throw them for a loop is Romo having a career ending injury next season. They clearly have to restructure him this year, and with their typical restructure they would push a bunch of cap hit into 15/16.

That Guy 02-04-2014 08:34 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1058732]Riley is one of our core ST and best ILB. Does he deserve Fletcher money know, but he is one of ours that we should keep. I would think 3-4yr /with an avg of around 4 ought to be a reasonable contract.[/quote]

you've seen our special teams, right? and i'd substitute "best" ILB for "only" ILB, so it's not like there's much competition.

not saying he's awful or anything, but he's not a super stud either.

NYCskinfan82 02-04-2014 08:34 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1058766]What would throw them for a loop is Romo having a career ending injury next season. They clearly have to restructure him this year, and with their typical restructure they would push a bunch of cap hit into 15/16.[/quote]

IMO never wish evil on anyone I'm a Karma type of person.

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2014 08:37 PM

To be clear, I'm not wishing it on Romo, but two offseason's in a row with back surgeries is not something that can be overlooked when pushing salary cap forward.

NYCskinfan82 02-04-2014 08:40 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1058769]To be clear, I'm not wishing it on Romo, but two offseason's in a row with back surgeries is not something that can be overlooked when pushing salary cap forward.[/quote]

I hear yah!

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2014 08:45 PM

[quote=That Guy;1058767]you've seen our special teams, right? and i'd substitute "best" ILB for "only" ILB, so it's not like there's much competition.

not saying he's awful or anything, but he's not a super stud either.[/quote]

I have liked Riley from day one, he had penalty issues to get past, but I think he is more than just ok, he's been overshadowed by an aging Fletcher, but I think this year he breaks out in his own right.