Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T.O. and Westbrook to sit out?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5777)

TheMalcolmConnection 04-07-2005 03:48 PM

Re: T.O. and Westbrook to sit out??

Rosenhaus might be fair in his negotiating tactics, but I'm sure it's not just Taylor or Moss's idea to sit out in anticipation of a new contract. I would say that Drew has been behind more than a few of these "sit outs" to benefit his clients and his own pockets.

HermosaBeach Skin Fan 04-07-2005 04:22 PM

The league has become out of control with this stuff. Somewhere it should state that they have to play by term of the contract and it CANNOT be renegotiated until the contract is up. The league should really go to a totally performance based pay system.

Thoughts?

MTK 04-07-2005 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=HermosaBeach Skin Fan]The league has become out of control with this stuff. Somewhere it should state that they have to play by term of the contract and it CANNOT be renegotiated until the contract is up. The league should really go to a totally performance based pay system.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Nice thought, but as long as there's a player's union, ain't gonna happen.

mooby 04-07-2005 04:33 PM

yeah matt's right. player's union = more money for player and the right to renegotiate.

jdlea 04-07-2005 04:40 PM

I just wanna go on record as saying that I don't agree with T.O. or many other players demanding that their contract be restructured. However, I do think it's funny. I think that's what organizations get for pressuring players into restructuring all the time. If they fall off they have to take less. T.O. stepped up, why shouldn't he get more? I can see where they're coming from. I don't agree, but I think it should make things interesting.

Now I wanna see what happens to Philly now that the real Terrell Owens has resurfaced.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-07-2005 05:58 PM

This is what I was saying in another thread...

When teams ask a player to restructure, it normally isn't to line their own pockets (not directly anyway). They ask a player to restructure to make room to bring in even more talent.

I think when a player asks for a restructure for more money, it is strictly for personal gain.

In the end, I would say the lesser of two evils is asking a player to take a cut of his millions to help the team out in the end.

PSUSkinsFan21 04-07-2005 07:00 PM

I love hearing this. I mean really, what did the Eagles expect when they went after this guy? Everything about this is consistent with TO's past. I've had more arguments than I can even count with Eagles fans over this guy and how he'll be a locker room cancer within a few short years. My prediction: this is just the beginning of the slap in the face that is Terell Owens.

Seriously, this news should not be underestimated in terms of its importance. Joe Banner is about the most stubborn SOB in the NFL when it comes to renegotiating contracts or paying big bucks to his stars. Remember, this is the guy that let three guys go who were voted Defensive MVP of the team by their fellow players (see Trotter, Douglas, and Emmons), and stared down Duce when he held out when he was their only legit RB. This guy doesn't back down. Hasn't let a single player beat him yet. It could get very ugly with TO and Westbrook and Simon etc.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-07-2005 07:26 PM

I would LOVE to have another team in the NFC East have the off-the-field controversy this year (not like we haven't had our share so far).

SmootSmack 04-07-2005 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=jdlea]I just wanna go on record as saying that I don't agree with T.O. or many other players demanding that their contract be restructured. However, I do think it's funny. I think that's what organizations get for pressuring players into restructuring all the time. If they fall off they have to take less. T.O. stepped up, why shouldn't he get more? I can see where they're coming from. I don't agree, but I think it should make things interesting.

Now I wanna see what happens to Philly now that the real Terrell Owens has resurfaced.[/QUOTE]

I think you're pretty on point with this. And if Portis hadn't been demandnig a restructured contract in Denver would we even see him in burgundy and gold?

TheMalcolmConnection 04-07-2005 08:25 PM

It's interesting to think. I know we would have been after a runningback. I wonder who Gibbs would have wanted if not for Portis.

That Guy 04-07-2005 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]It's interesting to think. I know we would have been after a runningback. I wonder who Gibbs would have wanted if not for Portis.[/QUOTE]

dillon maybe? to be fair, portis was running for 1500+ yards and making 500k... that contract was a bit lopsided...

TheMalcolmConnection 04-07-2005 09:44 PM

Most definitely.

And yeah, it probably WOULD have been Dillon. I still think that Portis could come close to 2000 yards next year with the type of rejuvenated line we have. Rabach is all-pro quality. Jansen IS an all-pro and Samuels on the other side. I'm excited to see the holes that will open up with a healthy line.

AND being the running team we are, I think it's very possible he could finish with 1800-2000 yards.

sportscurmudgeon 04-07-2005 10:46 PM

A few points of clarification here:

Portis' agent is Drew Rosenhaus. What happens here if Portis rushes for 1800 yards and 15 TDs? My guess is a hold-out looking for a restructured contract... In fact, I don't think it would take a monstrous season like that for Ports to want a new deal. Don't rule out the possibility that it happens sooner rather than later.

The Eagles did indeed let Trotter, Douglas and Emmons go. Interestingly, Trotter and Douglas were mediocre with the teams that spent big bucks to get them and are now back with the Eagles for FAR less than they asked for in the first place. And Emmons has been replaced by Dhani Jones without a humongous drop in effectiveness. So, maybe Joe Banner is a stubborn SOB; or maybe he and the coaching staff there are far more insightful into talent levels and team chemistry than most other teams? Hard to tell from afar... The handling of the TO situation may give us some clues here.

BTW, the Eagles are on the verge of trading Cory Simon to the Ravens for a second round pick this year and a third and fifth next year. Simon is the Eagles' designated "franchise player". So for all the folks here who think that putting a franchise tag on a player brings back two first round picks, here is yet another example to show that it rarely happens that way.

Someone talked about the "Orlando Pace fiasco". How did Pace suffer from the Postons' representation? He was the Rams' franchise player meaning he had one year deals making him $8M a year or more. That is hardly someone who has been hosed by his representation. Now he has a long term deal - - which really means he got a bigger signing bonus and took lower annual salaries for the term of the deal. If he gets run over by a bus next week, he did better by getting the signing bonus; if not, it is probably a wash.

That Guy 04-08-2005 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]A few points of clarification here:

Portis' agent is Drew Rosenhaus. What happens here if Portis rushes for 1800 yards and 15 TDs? My guess is a hold-out looking for a restructured contract... In fact, I don't think it would take a monstrous season like that for Ports to want a new deal. Don't rule out the possibility that it happens sooner rather than later.
[/QUOTE]

well, i thought he was one of the highest paid backs in the league (if not the highest for total contract value), and when he signed that contract he was expecting 1500-1600 yards every year... so i guess i would be a bit surprised if 200 yards sends him into a fit for millions more a year...

Daseal 04-08-2005 04:11 AM

When he signed the contract he was the highest paid back in the league - 2 weeks later LT got his contract and bumped him to #2. Not sure where he is now, but not farther down than #5 among RBs.