Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The DRAFT!!!! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5891)

JWsleep 04-21-2005 01:50 AM

The DRAFT!!!!

Ok. After enduring this painful brak without the warpath (and dealing with the good hearted, but over the top folks at extremeskins), it's good to be back.

The trade. wow. And the war with the Post. Man.

I refure to believe the QB rumors. That feels like smoke to me, but we'll see.

I do think the draft is relatively deep at both CB and WR, which is what we need now, and that alone justifies the trade. CB at 9, WR at 25--we could get two starters and fix lots of our worries on Saturday.

Man, did they make this draft more exciting or what?

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK! :food-smil :food-smil :food-smil

MTK 04-21-2005 01:51 AM

Re: The DRAFT!!!!

someone fill me in on the last week, what QB rumors? What war with the Post?

ST21 04-21-2005 02:00 AM

Nope....Here Comes Braylon Edwards.......

JWsleep 04-21-2005 02:08 AM

I've pasted some relevant links below. Basically, we traded next year's #1 and #4, and this years #3 for the broncs #1 (25th overall). According to draft "value charts" we did pretty well on the value of the deal. The main issue is the depth of the draft. The skins think it's deep at postions they need, so they moved to get another high pick. Wild stuff. Meanwhile, the speculation on what they'll do is running rampant. Pasta reported that Gibbs is going for a QB. We shall see...

[URL=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6488]skins.com: Redskins Complete Trade, Add 1st Rounder[/URL]

[URL=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6497]skins.com: Cerrato: 25th Pick 'Gives Us Options'[/URL]

[URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2217-2005Apr19.html]Wpost: Redskins Swap Draft Picks[/URL]

[URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5557-2005Apr20.html]Wpost: Redskins Are Exploring All Scenarios[/URL]

[URL=http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050420-120547-7906r.htm]Wtimes: Redskins deal for 25th pick in draft[/URL]

JWsleep 04-21-2005 02:15 AM

The war with the post is has been simmering for some time (remember Gibbs press conference about the Coles trade). This time, the post reproted that Gibbs and Vinny are on the outs, becuase they gave seemingly conflicting press releases concerning a possible trade of our #9 to Oakland for CB Buchanan (who was then promptly traded to the Texans). That evening, we traded for Denvers pick, and it seemed the Post was last to know. The next day, we got a nearly hour long presser with Gibbs, Vinny and Danny all basically berating the media. It's archived here on skins.com:

[URL]http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/redskins/demand/050420redskinspress.rm&proto=rtsp&rbnkey=1[/URL]

If that's a bad link, go to skins.com. But unless you want to spend an hour of your honeymoon in Vegas listening to the FO yell at the press (and I would strongly advise against this :) ) check it out when you return.

:food-smil

Daseal 04-21-2005 02:17 AM

Basicly pastabelly has us going with Campbell from Auburn. Though I like him a LOT and think he could develop into a great pro. I hope this isn't true!

That being said, if we trade those two firsts up for Edwards Im taking a gun to Redskins park.

JWsleep 04-21-2005 02:22 AM

It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend all the picks on Edwards. I'm with you on that one. As for Campbell, sure, he looked pretty good, but why screw with Ramsey when we've got other needs? CB and WR!!!! Or trade down from 9, get the a CB, WR and a DE. That would be sweet. Or package #25 with Rod and get a vet CB? Man, who knows?

Daseal 04-21-2005 02:27 AM

Honestly - I would love this scenario:

9th Pick - Get BMW if he's on the board (whcih I personally feel he will be, I know many don't agree, but we'll find out soon!) If he IS gone, trade down a few spots (dallas/carolina maybe) and get Williamson (who I feel may be the safest pick and fits the best into our system -- williams could be the brighter star though. Risk vs Reward.)

With the 25 either package it and Gardner for a decent Vet, or package them to move up a few spots, or just stay tight and get a CB, but address that need with the 25th pick.

itvnetop 04-21-2005 04:19 AM

we've definitely got to do something besides using the pick to draft someone at the 25th spot... there's absolutely no one you can draft that late in the first round (jason campbell or heath miller or roddy white is not worth this much) that justifies giving up a first round next year, a fourth round next year, and a third this year. Just swapping first for firsts is risky, considering denver's this year is only the 25th pick- as much as i hope the skins will have a top 8 record this season, there's also a decent chance our first pick next year will be higher than 25. and that's not to mention the draft class next season is much stronger than this year's.

the wheelin' and dealin' has just begun, methinks. oh yeah, it's good to be back!

That Guy 04-21-2005 04:23 AM

gardner + 25th pick to move up or get a vet maybe?

this has to lead somewhere, or else it doesn't make sense... if i were denver, i'd always make that trade (this draft isn't great, and the skins are probably going to be around the 15th pick next year, so...)

Drift Reality 04-21-2005 08:35 AM

I think it was a terrible trade personally, just awful. I feel like this management treats draft picks with little regard.

3rd and 4th rounders should be the point at which you start building the meat of your team - guys who play hard, have some talent, and don't get outrageous salaries.

Also, I can't understand why we would make the trade now, before seeing who is even available at #25. I mean, why not wait until we see that there is someone we really want before pulling the trigger.

As for trading #25 and #9 to move up to #5 or #6? This would be the most idiotic thing possible. We would ultimately be trading four draft picks for one player. Since the Rickey Williams draft trade, there hasn't been a move this bad.

FRPLG 04-21-2005 08:40 AM

Yeah there has to be a plan in here somewhere. It is unusually odd to trade up to the later part of the first round this far in advance of the draft. I would think you make this kind of move once you realize the guy you are looking for is definitly going to be there otherwise you're stuck with a late first rounder and no one to pick. I think trading the 9 and 25 for edwards is insane but maybe packaging Gardner and the 25 to move up in the first gives us a shot at Williamson and Jones. I personally like the deal a lot. I'd guess that at most you end up with two or maybe three players from each draft who end up being impact players for you somewhere down the road. Getting two first rounders maybe gets a little more immediate of an impact and helps emsure that impact. Plus every year it seems like we trade next years' picks for pick this years'. A never end ing cycle that has no downside really.

backrow 04-21-2005 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=Drift Reality]I think it was a terrible trade personally, just awful. I feel like this management treats draft picks with little regard.

3rd and 4th rounders should be the point at which you start building the meat of your team - guys who play hard, have some talent, and don't get outrageous salaries.

Also, I can't understand why we would make the trade now, before seeing who is even available at #25. I mean, why not wait until we see that there is someone we really want before pulling the trigger.

As for trading #25 and #9 to move up to #5 or #6? This would be the most idiotic thing possible. We would ultimately be trading four draft picks for one player. Since the Rickey Williams draft trade, there hasn't been a move this bad.[/QUOTE]

Hold on, do not judge quite yet until you see what unfolds on Draft day. I think most folks want us to trade down from # 9 and possibly pick up more than we lost.

Of course, if we stay at # 9 and # 25, we go WR/CB or CB/WR. So, it may still be a win/win. Everyone equates the First round and rounds 3/4 with exactly what NE & the e-girls have done, to build through the Draft.

Well, that didn't work for HOF Coach Gibbs the first time around, so which of us can say we have HOF in front of our name?

56FAN 04-21-2005 08:53 AM

i don't know if clement of buffalo is available but i would trade for him,otehrwise it's c rogers and maybe roddy white or someone.

SmootSmack 04-21-2005 08:56 AM

I guess the latest rumor has us trading up to get Edwards, with the Browns being the most likely suitor.

I asked a friend of mine who used to cover the Browns as well as someone over at Ourlads.com scouting. According to them, the Browns are high on Merriman and Campbell (have him rated ahead of Smith and Rodgers actually) so them trading down to 9 and 25 to get those two makes sense for them

For us...I'm not so sure