Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forget Ramsey for a minute...My last days as a Redskins fan? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5918)

That Guy 04-22-2005 07:26 AM

Re: Forget Ramsey for a minute...My last days as a Redskins fan?

honestly, i'm hopeful of an 8-8 record this season... wow. Worst... offseason... ever.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-22-2005 08:22 AM

It seriously isn't as bad as everyone is saying...

SKINSnCANES 04-22-2005 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]True, and I think Jeff George scored something like a 10 and he's a cannon for an arm.

All I'm saying is there are many factors that lead to a QB's success in the NFL (smarts, skills, surrounding talent, luck), not just one[/QUOTE]

As a side note. The first that Ive heard about the new Madden is that its main feature will be making QB awareness relevant. There will be a shadow on the field that your QBs line of sight, if your manning itll be the whole field, If your plummer its very narrow. Just thought I would throw that out there.

56FAN 04-22-2005 08:37 AM

we are in severe withdraw, usually half the roster has been changed by now, the post never misses a chance to stick it to the skins and pasquali from espn is the same.the sports reporters think the know better than anyone and clearly have an attitude against even the coach. guys, we can only wait and see. the nay sayers are many
but we are not one of them. i believe that cb rogers is ours, after that i'm not sure.

Defensewins 04-22-2005 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=offiss]No! Bobby Beatherd drafted the QB's not Gibbs, so far Gibbs has shown no eye for talent when it comes to aquiring a QB, and if he drafts Campbell it will continue.[/QUOTE]

Offis check your facts before you yell NO!
It was Gibbs who recruited and asked to get Doug Williams. Gibbs was soley responsible for getting Williams. Gibbs coached Williams early in his career and they were friends. Doug Williams had a little bit of talent wouldn't you say? He did take us to the super bowl and he was the MVP of that SuperBowl.
Gibbs also scouted all the QB and gave the final ok before Beathard or Casserly (sure would be nice to have them back) pulled the trigger on any QB.
Gibbs heavily scouted and gave his blessing on Rypien and Stan Humphries.

Drafting Campbell would not be so bad. We need a back up plan if Ramsey does not pan out.

jbcjr14 04-22-2005 09:51 AM

I say go ahead and jump ship fellas if you choose to do so....but with saying that, don't come back in another year telling us how loyal you are! Gibbs and Co. will make this team a winner before he is done.

BDBohnzie 04-22-2005 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]Offis check your facts before you yell NO!
It was Gibbs who recruited and asked to get Doug Williams. Gibbs was soley responsible for getting Williams. Gibbs coached Williams early in his career and they were friends. Doug Williams had a little bit of talent wouldn't you say? He did take us to the super bowl and he was the MVP of that SuperBowl.
Gibbs also scouted all the QB and gave the final ok before Beathard or Casserly (sure would be nice to have them back) pulled the trigger on any QB.
Gibbs heavily scouted and gave his blessing on Rypien and Stan Humphries.

Drafting Campbell would not be so bad. We need a back up plan if Ramsey does not pan out.[/QUOTE]
Yes, Gibbs recruited Williams...who was already an established QB in the league. As far as Rypien and Humphries, they were average QBs that had 1, maybe 2 good seasons. Gibbs has a knack to work with lesser talent QBs and making them adapt to the system.

QB Wise, our bed is made. We just resigned Hasselback, Brunell has his restructured contract, and Gibbs has already named Ramsey the starter.

Ramsey has been in the system for a year. Guys like Rypien and Humphries spent 2, 3, 4 years on the sideline before jumping into the fray, which gave them all that time to learn the system. Ramsey is learning as he goes, and it takes time to learn Gibbs' offense.

I think drafting Campbell would be a mistake, especially when we have other pressing needs.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-22-2005 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie]Yes, Gibbs recruited Williams...who was already an established QB in the league. As far as Rypien and Humphries, they were average QBs that had 1, maybe 2 good seasons. Gibbs has a knack to work with lesser talent QBs and making them adapt to the system.

QB Wise, our bed is made. We just resigned Hasselback, Brunell has his restructured contract, and Gibbs has already named Ramsey the starter.

Ramsey has been in the system for a year. Guys like Rypien and Humphries spent 2, 3, 4 years on the sideline before jumping into the fray, which gave them all that time to learn the system. Ramsey is learning as he goes, and it takes time to learn Gibbs' offense.

I think drafting Campbell would be a mistake, especially when we have other pressing needs.[/QUOTE]

Good points...

redwagonskins 04-22-2005 10:54 AM

If people bail on the Skins like they are talking about, I'll be sitting 20 rows up on the 50 yd line in not time!!!!!

jdlea 04-22-2005 10:55 AM

What you all don't seem to understand is that I am a realist. You have to take a look at this team. People say Dan Snyder spends money to win...what have they won? I could understand if Gibbs let Smoot and Pierce go this offseason because he wanted to build "his team." However, he called them core Redskins and tried to keep em...didn't happen. This offseason has been a disaster. All they had to do was keep a few people and shut up. Instead Cerrato comes out saying he was misquoted on the Skins web site. Everybody gets mad and leaves because the O they ran last year is stiffling the talent we have. Portis defends everyone but Ramsey. Arrington complains publicly. Coles does too. And everyone blames the players?! No. I've said for a long time this is the worst organization in football. Sometimes I hate to love them.

Sometimes...just sometimes...I want a divorce. I could live with them taking Campbell because it's one of the more sane scenarios I've heard. Last night on the ESPN draft special somebody said the Skins contacted the Niners about moving up to 1 so they could select Alex Smith...are you kidding me? I've never been this confused in my life. What the hell is going on? What has happened this whole offseason? It seems like this team is out of control to me. I mean think about it. Gibbs comes to restore discipline. 2 players this offseason lash out against the club and one gets sent away. One of the ones we get doesn't come to voluntary workouts and niether does the guy who should have won defensive rookie of the year. Hell, Taylor won't even return their phone calls. Kind of a punk move, but I told my brother last night, you reap what you sew. I have no faith in this team's front office because I'm a realist.

As for me being a fair weather fan...fair weather fans usually come and go when the team is up and down. FYI this team has been down for years. If I were a fair weather fan, I don't think I would have stuck with them this long. I will also continue to stick with them, I pretty much started this thread to vent. I'm pretty pissed about this offseason and I blame one man, Dan Snyder. At least when they were bad they were still quasi-respected for what they did in the past. People barely remember that now because we have one of the worst owners in all of professional sports.

Oh yeah, one last note, maybe you should accuse the guys who want Arrington, Portis, and any other star on the team who has a bad year of being a fair weather fan.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-22-2005 11:03 AM

I think you're being a little melodramatic about the whole thing.

Our offseason really hasn't been THAT bad. Yes, Smoot and Pierce are gone, but what we did was establish a precedent for coming years that we are no longer the team that will pay mediocre talent a mint. We gave Smoot AND Pierce respectable offers and they went where the money was. Nobody's fault but theirs. Not Snyder's, not Gibb's.

That being said, we made some key pickups this offseason. David Patten will provide us with a great #2,#3 receiving threat and the addition of Casey Rabach will bolster the line even more with the return of Jansen.

I'll admit the Coles and Moss thing was a disaster and I would put a lot of blame on Snyder for this one. However, we got the best deal out of it we could given the situation. So Taylor and Moss aren't showing up for workouts? That's disappointing but I would say the organization is in disarray because of it.

Also, I am confident that the Redskins are not going after a QB. I think they'll go WR and some type of defensive player with their pick.

jdlea 04-22-2005 11:20 AM

That may be...I guess we'll know soon enough. I just think that we made a terrible trade to get into the bottom of the first round and for what? A QB? We couldn't have found one with our first round pick next year? Is anyone at 25 [B]that[/B] good?

TheMalcolmConnection 04-22-2005 11:31 AM

I just have this feeling it's part of a master plan. I agree that if we do anything BESIDES package that pick then we got the shaft in that deal. That being said, as long as we pick someone NOT a QB with the #25 pick, I'll be satisfied.

JoeRedskin 04-22-2005 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I just have this feeling it's part of a master plan. I agree that if we do anything BESIDES package that pick then we got the shaft in that deal. That being said, as long as we pick someone NOT a QB with the #25 pick, I'll be satisfied.[/QUOTE]

1. I will believe the existence of a master plan when I have seen consistent evidence of one. So far, what I have seen is "hmmmm, what looks good today."

2. Although I generally oppose the trading of draft picks (especially future first rounders). Given the needs presented and the apparent depth in this draft at those positions, I am okay w/ this trade so long as it nets us a good corner and either a WR or DE of starter (or potential starter) ability. After listening to JG, VC and Danny Boy's press conference the other day, I would not be surprised if the plan is to stay put and draft the best two CB/WR/DE athletes available unless presented with an very good offer to trade down on draft day. One thing Vinny said was that "on draft day the cost of a pick go up". I think that is true (yes, I know it's a Vinny statement - but hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day).

3. If the Skins trade up, I will puke burgundy and gold until my innards have been retched up and I have died in deep despair. There is NO ONE in this draft worth moving up for given the cost to do so. Braylon Edwards? let's see, the last Michigan receiver (who, by the way, won the heisman) which jumped up for? Desmond Howard. WR's in the 1st round are, at best, a pot shot. If Williams falls to 9, fine, take him - he is worth a shot. Otherwise, ain't nobody worth 4 picks (plus some) to grab. Dear god, I hope they stay put.

4. I hope they don't take Campbell at 25. Grab and develop a QB from the later rounds if you must. Reserve 1st round QB's for someone who is projected to start this year or the next. I don't think Campbell fits that description.

djnemo65 04-22-2005 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]Whoa. I get on after work and this is what happens.

I'm a Redskins fan whether they never win another game again. My future generations will ALSO be brainwashed into thinking the same way.

I wish the draft would hurry and happen so that HOPEFULLY we can be like, "Whew, I was afraid something crazy was going to happen."[/QUOTE]

Have any of you guys ever worried about what would happen if your kids chose to like a different team? Cos I have. Alot. I just know I'm gonna be cursed with some little tyke trotting around the house in cowboys pajamas.

Some of my greatest memories are watching the Skins with my family. My dad and uncles would be there, then my grandfather the patriarch would come out in the same Skins cardigan he wore every sunday and sit down in his chair.

Near the end of his life - the initial post-Gibbs years - the doctor forbid him from watching if they were doing to poorly because it was bad for his heart.

So anyway, any kid trying to break that tradition needs to look up adoption agency in the phonebook.