Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Draft so far - and what's next. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5981)

Daseal 04-23-2005 05:43 PM

Draft so far - and what's next.

Seeing as how all these draft threads are happening as we speak Im guessing the locker room is the appropriate place.

First of all, we got two great players today in the draft. They'll both probably have good pro careers, that being said - we made a mistake! When you have the rare talent of Mike Williams at WR drop into your lap, which very few people thought would happen and even mocked me for mentioning it, you need to pick him up. We go into the season without a legitimate receiver to play the #1 slot, or at least someone to look forward to. I hear the argument that we're a running team and don't need WRs. No, that's exactly why we need them. Make them respect our passing game no matter what!

Will we trade Gardner/something to pick up Vincent Jackson out of N. Colorodo? Is it possible Ramsey could be dealt as early as today? Could that be how we plan to try to replenish our first next year? With some sort of package deal including Ramsey? Where are we going with these picks!

Santana Moss, David Patten, Taylor Jacobs, James Thrash, and Darnarrian McCants isn't exactly the group of receivers you want to finally make opposing defenses fear your passing game. Either way, Gibbs needs to get McCants on the field. He's the only large receiver we'll have left, Ramsey seems to love him (assuming Ramsey's still there) and he's our ONLY redzone threat besides Cooley.

This draft so far has made me absolutely sick. I really do like Rogers, I think he was the best CB in the draft. He has a nice body size and speed mixture and could really be great, but we needed help on the offensive side of the ball.

The Redskins need someone to take over personel. I think Gibbs is in over his head. So far this offseason gets rated an F for me. We've lost a lot of players who were important to our success and haven't exactly done a very good job replacing them. Then we go to the draft and don't address any of our needs.

jdlea 04-23-2005 05:47 PM

Re: Draft so far - and what's next.

I agree 95%. The only issue where we differ is on Carlos Rogers. I could deal with that pick if at 25 we had gone with a DE. I think the draft should have gone Williams and then a DE. Or Merriman and then Roddy White, who, btw, were both on the board when we came up.

I have to agree with Daseal, this offseason has been a flat out disaster.

Daseal 04-23-2005 05:47 PM

Really even worse - could getting Campbell and trading Ramsey be a ploy to get his church buddy back into the starting job?

jdlea 04-23-2005 05:51 PM

I think Gibbs wanted to hand pick his QB of the future. I think he lied.

mooby 04-23-2005 05:53 PM

i don't know what to believe anymore. this skins offseason has been so fucked up, im questioning as to what the fo is thinking. im confused about what kind of direction the skins think they are going in.

FARAPS 04-23-2005 05:58 PM

am i the only redskins fan who feels like jumping off a bridge right about now?

Daseal 04-23-2005 05:59 PM

Want to hold hands, Faraps?

jdlea 04-23-2005 06:05 PM

lol...I got too much of my life getting set up right now to jump off of a bridge. Plus I like the whole NFL, so it doesn't really kill me.

SkinsRock 04-23-2005 06:15 PM

Love the first pick, hate the second. That said, I definitely don't think the offseason so far is an F. Maybe a C or C-, but maybe after all the A offseasons that haven't done squat, this is just what we need.
The most important thing is that we actually have continuity in the entire coaching staff, which we haven't had in FOREVER. Gibbs is building a team around what he thinks is best, and we may not agree with some of his decisions, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

FARAPS 04-23-2005 06:21 PM

i feel like this entire offseason has been a complete disaster. i have kept optomism up until the draft because i felt we could really get some players that would help fill in some holes and address our needs. when the vikings took williamson over williams i almost shit my pants i was so happy. then i was thinking to myself what if the redskins didnt take him, but then i laughed at how stupid that would be. when i heard pasquierlli call out carlos rogers my heart just completely stopped. BMW could have helped our offense out so much in the redzone and in the passing game alltogether. he is a huge target with amazing hands and dont tell me this bullshit about him being too slow, keary colbert of the panthers ran a slower 40 time than MW and he wasnt nearly as good in college and he turned out to be a very productive rookie receiver.
Then what made me even more mad was that, okay if we think that rogers really is THE guy and we really HAVE to draft him then why the hell wouldnt we trade down a couple of picks to get him!!!! no one in the next 4 or 5 picks were going to take him AND DONT TELL ME NO TEAMS WERE WILLING TO TRADE UP FOR MW CAUSE THATS BULLSHIT. we could have at least got a second rounder or another pick.
now dont even get me started with the second pick. All this shit that gibbs put out about how ramsey is his quarterback blah blah BULLSHIT. if he was so confident he wouldnt draft a quarterback in the first round giving up our freaking next years pick for it. what the hell are we going to do with 4 quarterbacks!?! now that we made this pick we are going to have to trade either ramsey or cambell down the line which is messed up i dont even want to think about that.
before we made the second pick i told myself i would be content with drafting heath miller roddy white or even a DE. but when we took a useless pick on cambell i just lost it.

overall i am horrified at how this whole draft turned out so far, and i just have to think that there really must be something that Gibbs and them know that I dont because right now it makes no sense to me. Please, i would like any comments or words that will make me feel a little better because right now i just feel sick to my stomache.

jdlea 04-23-2005 06:21 PM

Yeah and last year he said that guys like Smoot and Pierce were guys you could build around...at least that's what "core" means to me.

jdlea 04-23-2005 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=FARAPS]
overall i am horrified at how this whole draft turned out so far, and i just have to think that there really must be something that Gibbs and them know that I dont because right now it makes no sense to me. Please, i would like any comments or words that will make me feel a little better because right now i just feel sick to my stomache.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can say is that them being bad isn't the end of the world. I'm not sure how old you are, but I am too young to remember when they were good. I was 3 and 5 when they the 2 Super Bowls in my lifetime. I believe Daseal was too, or at least close to that. We're still here.

monk81 04-23-2005 06:34 PM

I know all of you think it's tough being a Redskin fan.....well, try being a Redskin fan stuck in the middle of Cowboy country...........I'm sure all the Cryboy fans will be gloating monday about their draft picks and grabbing two of the top defensive guys in the entire draft .......... maybe I'll call in sick monday........ :vomit: But I will stand tall and still remain a loyal Redskin fan despite the idiotic moves this teams to be so fond of in recent years......
SIGH!!!!!!!!

jdlea 04-23-2005 06:54 PM

Hey, I feel for you. I couldn't deal with that, but just because it's tougher for you, doesn't mean it's not tough for us.

John Hasbrouck 04-23-2005 07:13 PM

FARAPS iam rite behind you