Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Comments (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5985)

FARAPS 04-23-2005 06:26 PM

Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Comments

i feel like this entire offseason has been a complete disaster. i have kept optomism up until the draft because i felt we could really get some players that would help fill in some holes and address our needs. when the vikings took williamson over williams i almost shit my pants i was so happy. then i was thinking to myself what if the redskins didnt take him, but then i laughed at how stupid that would be. when i heard pasquierlli call out carlos rogers my heart just completely stopped. BMW could have helped our offense out so much in the redzone and in the passing game alltogether. he is a huge target with amazing hands and dont tell me this bullshit about him being too slow, keary colbert of the panthers ran a slower 40 time than MW and he wasnt nearly as good in college and he turned out to be a very productive rookie receiver.
Then what made me even more mad was that, okay if we think that rogers really is THE guy and we really HAVE to draft him then why the hell wouldnt we trade down a couple of picks to get him!!!! no one in the next 4 or 5 picks were going to take him AND DONT TELL ME NO TEAMS WERE WILLING TO TRADE UP FOR MW CAUSE THATS BULLSHIT. we could have at least got a second rounder or another pick.
now dont even get me started with the second pick. All this shit that gibbs put out about how ramsey is his quarterback blah blah BULLSHIT. if he was so confident he wouldnt draft a quarterback in the first round giving up our freaking next years pick for it. what the hell are we going to do with 4 quarterbacks!?! now that we made this pick we are going to have to trade either ramsey or cambell down the line which is messed up i dont even want to think about that.
before we made the second pick i told myself i would be content with drafting heath miller roddy white or even a DE. but when we took a useless pick on cambell i just lost it.

overall i am horrified at how this whole draft turned out so far, and i just have to think that there really must be something that Gibbs and them know that I dont because right now it makes no sense to me. Please, i would like any comments or words that will make me feel a little better because right now i just feel sick to my stomache.

jdlea 04-23-2005 06:33 PM

Re: Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Comments

[QUOTE=FARAPS]
overall i am horrified at how this whole draft turned out so far, and i just have to think that there really must be something that Gibbs and them know that I dont because right now it makes no sense to me. Please, i would like any comments or words that will make me feel a little better because right now i just feel sick to my stomache.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can say is that them being bad isn't the end of the world. I'm not sure how old you are, but I am too young to remember when they were good. I was 3 and 5 when they the 2 Super Bowls in my lifetime. I believe Daseal was too, or at least close to that. We're still here.

SantanaMan 04-23-2005 06:35 PM

Re: Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Comments

Wassup FARAPS,
like I have mentioned on the Jason Campbell thread I think his choice puts us in the same situ that the Chargers were in when they dratfed Rivers - a QB there a few years who hasn't quite been the hit they thought, they draft a QB and say "this is your last chance".
Ramsey if I am correct is coming into a contract year (as was Brees), so now its "put up or shut up", if he plays well he stays and Campbells riding pine, if he sucks Campbell will have had 1 year of getting ready for our system and should be able to step in in 2006 (when we also hopefully jetison Brunell).

As for Rogers, personally having had time to talk to people, read about him and let it settle in - I think he can step in and be the replacement for Smoot and we hopefully won't miss a beat at CB (maybe even get more big plays).

HOWEVER, I like you was gutted when we passed on Williams, I was dancing around the room when Minnesota took Troy as I knew AZ wouldn't go WR, so I was almost sure we'd take Williams and when we didn't my initial reaction was to be on a downer. Williams is a special guy, but then so was Westbrook, Howard, etc - he may get injured and have a cr'ppy career or he could be the best WR ever - thats the fun of the draft, we won't know till it all plays out on the field.

BossHog 04-23-2005 06:35 PM

Gibbs will probably have the excuse that they drafted the best player available. Possibly. I had my fingers crossed that Matt Jones was still available at twenty-five or we would've drafted UVAs Heath Miller. They should've traded Ramsey to GB before they selected Aaron Rodgers. On the bright side, it should be a lot clearer to other teams that Rod Gardner is worth even a late second or solid third round pick. Look at the talent after Roddy White. Gardner has his kicks, but a team will know what he can do against NFL competition and his history of injuries is minimal. :oink:

BossHog 04-23-2005 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=SantanaMan]Wassup FARAPS,
like I have mentioned on the Jason Campbell thread I think his choice puts us in the same situ that the Chargers were in when they dratfed Rivers - a QB there a few years who hasn't quite been the hit they thought, they draft a QB and say "this is your last chance".
Ramsey if I am correct is coming into a contract year (as was Brees), so now its "put up or shut up", if he plays well he stays and Campbells riding pine, if he sucks Campbell will have had 1 year of getting ready for our system and should be able to step in in 2006 (when we also hopefully jetison Brunell)...[/QUOTE]

True. Hasslebeck is out. Not much of loss there. :oink:

monk81 04-23-2005 07:04 PM

Wish I could be an optimist and say something to make you feel better, but sorry I can't, instead will offer you MISERY LOVES COMPANY..........(I was kind of hoping for the new millenium Darrell Green, Pac man Jones, but he was grabbed by the Titans) so Rogers was an okay pick filled a need..........then I was totally SHOCKED to find us picking Campbell.........the pick went down to the last second...perhaps revealing a tug of war between Coach Williams wanting a defensive player, and Gibbs pushing for Campbell....Meanwhile the Cryboys seem to be upgrading, at least on paper......doesn't sound a bit good does it?

ChounsMan 04-23-2005 07:06 PM

I have heard from several footbal scouts today that Campbell was the best QB talent in the draft, flat out! Now we here are not player evaluators so we must trust that the Skins front office saw something Campbell that excited them or they would have not picked a QB at #25.

I also heard that the trade for the 25th pick was infact to draft Campbell the whole time. I wonder if Rogers was avaliable... would we have drafted him instead of Campbell...?

I am concerned at the moment, but I trust that Coach Gibbs has the Skins winning in his best interest.

To be cont....

ChounsMan 04-23-2005 07:12 PM

Re: Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Commen

[QUOTE=monk81]Wish I could be an optimist and say something to make you feel better, but sorry I can't, instead will offer you MISERY LOVES COMPANY..........(I was kind of hoping for the new millenium Darrell Green, Pac man Jones, but he was grabbed by the Titans) so Rogers was an okay pick filled a need..........then I was totally SHOCKED to find us picking Campbell.........the pick went down to the last second...perhaps revealing a tug of war between Coach Williams wanting a defensive player, and Gibbs pushing for Campbell....Meanwhile the Cryboys seem to be upgrading, at least on paper......doesn't sound a bit good does it?[/QUOTE]

Rogers is an okay pick...? He was the Thorpe award winner last season, so I hardly feel that Rogers is "okay". Rogers should play good to better in Coach Williams D schemes.

Campbell is a surprise, but I trust that Gibbs saw something that Campbell has that Ramsey, Brunell, & Hasselbeck do not. Plus, there are always hidden stars later in the draft, so I would not sob over the draft just yet....

With picks of:
4 11(112)
6 9(183)
7 8(222)

I'm sure there will be players to add depth, like ILB, DT\DE, & TE.

jdlea 04-23-2005 07:14 PM

The only issue I have with that is that they need a starting Defensive End. Not depth.

monk81 04-23-2005 07:25 PM

Re: Please Read This..i Have A Lot To Say About The Draft And I Would Like Any Commen

[QUOTE=ChounsMan]Rogers is an okay pick...? He was the Thorpe award winner last season, so I hardly feel that Rogers is "okay". Rogers should play good to better in Coach Williams D schemes.

Campbell is a surprise, but I trust that Gibbs saw something that Campbell has that Ramsey, Brunell, & Hasselbeck do not. Plus, there are always hidden stars later in the draft, so I would not sob over the draft just yet....

With picks of:
4 11(112)
6 9(183)
7 8(222)

I'm sure there will be players to add depth, like ILB, DT\DE, & TE.[/QUOTE]

Rogers was ranked 3rd........4th in some draft previews at CB position:.......Was the 3rd best rated CB better than the best DE available? Here's the skinny on Rogers, not bad and fills a need.......
POSITIVIES very good athletic ability. Good closing speed and can make up for lost ground when he gets out of position . Pretty good route recognition. Best when the ball is in front of him in zone coverage. Physical in press coverage and will come up hard to support the run. physical tackler. will play hurt. NEGATIVES-inconsistent, confidence a question, not a great tackler. shows stiffness in hips and takes too many false steps on his plant and drive. doesnt get out of his breaks clearly. does not have great ball skills. needs to improve in man coverage. not a shutdown corner.......

SkinsRock 04-23-2005 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=jdlea]The only issue I have with that is that they need a starting Defensive End. Not depth.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about that....I'm curious to see how a healthy Daniels does this year, and I thought Wynn was solid last year.

MTK 04-23-2005 07:26 PM

I really like Rogers at #9. Corner is no longer a concern. With Springs, Harris and now Rogers we have a solid top 3.

Campbell on the other hand... big thumbs down from me.

Grayacre 04-23-2005 07:27 PM

Who cares if Campbell was the best QB prospect in the draft? The question is not whether he was the best QB available, but whether he's so much better than Ramsey that drafting him was worth overlooking the team's needs at other positions. This debacle only reinforces my belief that Gibbs' spiel about a "core" group of Redskins was meaningless rhetoric. Yeah, I said it -- he's full of *^@#$!

SkinsRock 04-23-2005 07:29 PM

A "Core Redskin" is one who produces on the field, [I]and[/I] who chooses to be a Redskin because he wants to be. Some players have done one, but not the other.

Paintrain 04-23-2005 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=monk81]Rogers was ranked 3rd........4th in some draft previews at CB position:.......Was the 3rd best rated CB better than the best DE available? Here's the skinny on Rogers, not bad and fills a need.......
POSITIVIES very good athletic ability. Good closing speed and can make up for lost ground when he gets out of position . Pretty good route recognition. Best when the ball is in front of him in zone coverage. Physical in press coverage and will come up hard to support the run. physical tackler. will play hurt. NEGATIVES-[b]inconsistent, confidence a question[/b] not a great tackler. shows stiffness in hips and takes too many false steps on his plant and drive. doesnt get out of his breaks clearly. does not have great ball skills. needs to improve in man coverage. not a shutdown corner.......
__________________[/QUOTE]
Not weaknesses you want in a cornerback. You can't have a corner who gets rattled easily out there..

It should have been Williams, best available CB.. Williams has done a lot with less talented players before, why not trust his coaching ability to get the most of a lesser CB and get a stud WR?

skin4Life28 04-23-2005 07:33 PM

Core redskins are suppossed to be on the field. But we let two walk. Kinda left us with some other things to fill instead of getting what we could have but got what we needed.

SkinsRock 04-23-2005 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=skin4Life28]Core redskins are suppossed to be on the field. But we let two walk. Kinda left us with some other things to fill instead of getting what we could have but got what we needed.[/QUOTE]
We let two walk because after offering them both fair deals, they CHOSE to go elsewhere for more money...hence, NOT core Redskins.

Grayacre 04-23-2005 07:38 PM

Hmmm ... Pierce comes to mind as someone who did both. As for Ramsey, he has shown nothing but class in his dealings w/the 'Skins -- too bad it's been one-sided.

ChounsMan 04-23-2005 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=monk81]Rogers was ranked 3rd........ not a shutdown corner.......
__________________[/QUOTE]

There are no shutdown corners anymore, ask Champ after the rules were revamped last season.

monk81 04-23-2005 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=ChounsMan]There are no shutdown corners anymore, ask Champ after the rules were revamped last season.[/QUOTE]

Well what's scary is that scouts compared Rogers to Mike Rumph who the 49ers drafted in 02......he struggled and never panned out. And some say Rogers is overhyped and will probably be drafted too high :rolleyes: But he could fit best as a zone corner............Perhaps even Rogers merited trading down and grabbing an extra pick...........

Hijinx 04-23-2005 08:17 PM

Can anyone really say the Skins of 05-06 look better than 04-05? Why do we need another iffy QB? Is this kid worth a 1st round, a 3rd round, and a 4th round pick? It seems like this team has never given Ramsey a chance. Think about the wasted 3rd round pick and 9 million dollar signing bonus for Mark Brunell. Ever since Dan S. took over this team its been one mistake after another. I have more patience then most NFL fans, but this is taxing my anger.

Can anyone say, (with honesty) that they think we will be better than 8-8?

MTK 04-23-2005 08:22 PM

Time will tell.

EternalEnigma21 04-23-2005 08:30 PM

Rogers is fast, hits hard, and has a 40" vert. He's a player worthy of lining up against TO twice a year. Im happy with him. I'd rather have him than Rolle. Pac-Man may have been a tough one to pass up, but I'm partial because of WVU.
As far as Jason Campbell, I understand why we made the move. Ramsey has had several years to develop, and hasnt made the amount of improvements neccesary to win games. I understand that he hasn't had Ideal circumstances (getting slaughtered under spurrier), but last year, even though he showed improvement, he still wasn't making reads well enough to move the ball down the field. It was all he could do to keep from handing the opposing D the ball. So now, he gets a full year to prove himself worthy. I think even if it takes a full year, if he comes through, he'll have job security. It's not that Joe Gibbs is betraying PR, its that he's looking out for the future of the Redskins.
Having said that, I wish you guys would chill out and realize, that Gibbs has made a long term commitment here and drafting a qb first round just reiterates that fact. He's learned that bringing in a washed up vet isn't the answer and you dont want to be one of the teams bringing in those guys anymore... so what do you do?
The man's not stupid, he knows he couldve drafted a potential immediate player, but I think he's thinking long term, which I think is the best thing I've seen in a while.
Hope that helps you sleep at night.

That Guy 04-23-2005 10:02 PM

too cap our cap got blow completely to hell (it wasnt healthly anyways) before gibbs realized brunell sucked hard :(

sportscurmudgeon 04-23-2005 10:19 PM

Why is everyone so shocked and amazed at the selection of Jason Campbell? The Redskins telegraphed that move a week ago and Len Pasquraelli made it public. [By the way, no one here is allowed to say that Pasquarelli never gets anything right any more because he had that one spot on a week ago and stuck to it even after the Skins tried to spin-control themselves out of their gaffe.] Even Tommy Tuberville at Auburn sadi in an ESPN Radio interview that Gibbs and Musgrave went to Auburn to meet with and work with Campbell in the last week. Way to cover your tracks and throw off the competition, guys...

What this means to me is this:

Joe Gibbs is NOT convinced that Patrick Ramsey is the long term answer at QB. If Ramsey is good this year, they will give him a contract extension; if not, they'll let him shop for a deal and try for compensatory draft picks in return. But remember, this is the SECOND time in TWO years that Gibbs has gone out to get another QB for the Skins. I can't see how that can mean much more than "Ramsey isn't his guy."

I know folks here will disagree with that assessment of Ramsey's talent, but I don't have any other sensible explanation for why the Skins have gotten themselves two QBs in two years with Ramsey as the avowed #1 main-man.

And just to make folks feel even more angry, I really liked Charlie Frye (Akron) better than Jason Campbell as a QB. Wouldn't that be a sour apple to eat if Frye turns out to be a star and Campbell is nothing more than a journeyman...

offiss 04-24-2005 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=ChounsMan]I have heard from several footbal scouts today that Campbell was the best QB talent in the draft, flat out! Now we here are not player evaluators so we must trust that the Skins front office saw something Campbell that excited them or they would have not picked a QB at #25.

I also heard that the trade for the 25th pick was infact to draft Campbell the whole time. I wonder if Rogers was avaliable... would we have drafted him instead of Campbell...?

I am concerned at the moment, but I trust that Coach Gibbs has the Skins winning in his best interest.

To be cont....[/QUOTE]

I trust Gibbs saw a lot of the same things in Campbell that he saw in Brunell. :vomit-smi