Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you pass on DE Chris Canty?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=6034)

TheMalcolmConnection 04-26-2005 08:27 AM

Re: How do you pass on DE Chris Canty??

It pisses me off to no end that Dallas had such a good draft.

BossHog 04-26-2005 08:50 AM

Just wait and see how those rookie DLs suck against our veteran OLs. With Jansen back and Rabach in the mix, DALs DL doesn't stand a chance. :oink:

TheMalcolmConnection 04-26-2005 08:54 AM

I surely hope not. Just for once, I'd like to see us just dismantle Dallas.

MTK 04-26-2005 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]It pisses me off to no end that Dallas had such a good draft.[/QUOTE]

Two years from now it could be known as a bad draft.

How about we wait to see these guys in pads before we say who had good drafts and bad drafts.

Right now it's pure opinion.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-26-2005 09:26 AM

I know. And I think it may blow up in their face. I'm just pissed at the "opinion" that they had a good draft. :)

Sorry, I need to clarify.

offiss 04-27-2005 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]It pisses me off to no end that Dallas had such a good draft.[/QUOTE]

Hey it could have been even better if they were willing to give up next years draft to draft Campbell in the 1st, that way they would have someone they can groom for the next 3 or 4 years until bledsoe retires.

Fortuantly we beat them to it. It's just hard to swallow seeing the Cowboys get top draft marks when all they did is draft for need, while we are out there and no one is giving us the credit for dumping next years draft for the steal of the draft in Campbell, while solidifing the #3 defense with our late rd picks, we are so overlooked! :rofl: :rofl:

terps and skins 04-27-2005 05:00 PM

wish we could have used one of those late round picks on a DE, although i like the players we got and obviously the coaches don't think that its a desperate need to get one.

joecrisp 04-27-2005 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=PSUskinsfan11]I like Canty alot and wish we got him but he is injury prone and more of a DE in a 3-4[/QUOTE]

Canty's injury history is certainly a concern, but he's young, and his prospects of making a relatively quick and full recovery from the knee injury are definitely helped by his youth.

As far as projecting him as a DE in the 3-4, you could probably say the same thing about the Redskins' starters at DE in Gregg Williams' 4-3 defense. Both Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels are big run-stoppers that could play DE [I]OR[/I] DT in a 4-3, or DE in a 3-4. Of course, that being the case, the Redskins probably needed to go in the direction of acquiring faster, more athletic rush ends who can get to the quarterback. But I thought, even with his injury, Canty would have been a great value where the Redskins could have had him at pick #120, in the fourth round. It was a golden opportunity to address the poor depth at DE with a potential star who could replace one of the aging, veteran starters in the next year or two.

When you consider Daniels' injury problems last year, combined with the limited contributions that the defensive line provided last season, it's rather astounding that the Redskins refused, once again, to address the defensive end position. In the past ten years, the Redskins have selected only four defensive ends in the draft. It's been eight years since the Redskins selected a defensive end in the first six rounds of the draft (Kenard Lang was selected #17 overall in the '97 draft), and they've selected only two other DEs in the top four rounds since '92. It's no wonder the Redskins' defensive lines have struggled to mount any consistent pressure on the QB since Gibbs' first tenure.

LavarTaylor21 04-27-2005 06:38 PM

I think Phillip Daniels is going to have a great year.(Please stay healthy!!!) Canty would had been nice but this McCure is going to be a sleeper. He is a beast and with some coaching he is going to make us forget about Pierce. Just like the Broncos say that its not the running backs, its their system, I feel it is the same here with the defense. Especially the LB's. Marcus and Antonio had career years and who knows what Lavar would have done. I almost forgot to mention Lemar. HAIL SKINS BABY!!!!!!!

TheMalcolmConnection 04-27-2005 06:46 PM

Again, talk about work ethic. LIFTING WEIGHTS with rocks. That is some freakin' heart right there.

joecrisp 04-27-2005 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=LavarTaylor21]I think Phillip Daniels is going to have a great year.(Please stay healthy!!!) Canty would had been nice but this McCure is going to be a sleeper. He is a beast and with some coaching he is going to make us forget about Pierce. Just like the Broncos say that its not the running backs, its their system, I feel it is the same here with the defense. Especially the LB's. Marcus and Antonio had career years and who knows what Lavar would have done. I almost forgot to mention Lemar. HAIL SKINS BABY!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I agree about McCune, he could be a solid addition at linebacker. He certainly has the physical skills. We'll see what Williams and his staff can do with him over the next couple years. At the least, he should be good special teams coverage guy. Hopefully with his age and maturity, his learning curve won't be as steep as it is for most rookies.

McCune was taken in the 5th round, though, and the Redskins could've had both him and Canty, had they not opted for fullback Manuel White with pick #120. Maybe White will turn out to be the goalline and short-yardage back Gibbs is looking for; I just hope Canty doesn't turn into a monster pick for the Cowboys. If White scores a few touchdowns this season, that will make up for it, I hope.

I'm hoping Daniels has a great year, too. I'm just concerned about his ability to stay on the field. That's why I felt the Skins should have addressed the depth at defensive end. Ron Warner and Demetric Evans filled in pretty well last season, and they're still on the roster, so it's not the end of the world.

Like you said, Williams' defensive system is the most powerful weapon the Skins have right now, and he can do a lot with very little.