Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kellen Winslow hurt again (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=6152)

skinsfanthru&thru 05-03-2005 11:10 AM

Re: Kellen Winslow hurt again

[QUOTE=Redskins8588]My point is that you have people on here saying "just cuz he's a classless person at times off the field, doesn't mean he's a bum on the field," in reference to Winslow. Well Taylor is deamed as a "classless person at times off the feild" but after having the season that he had last year he clearly is not a bum on the field. At least Taylor played last year, and God willing, he will play again this year.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if u were putting me in the group of those bashing Taylor, but I don't ever remember me personally putting Taylor in the same ego category as TO and Winslow Jr. I have bashed him, and deservedly so, for the almost continuous(sp?) string of mistakes on Taylor's part. I know I've said the kid is a beast physically on a regular basis, but there comes a point for fans when off the field stuff becomes as important as the work on the field. I'm personally one of those fans that come to that point earlier than others( I mean look at all the morons in San Fran giving Barry Bonds a standing ovation even though there's a good chance he and his recent accomplishments are tainted, but because he plays for their team, they don't really seem to care). Yeah he's young, but if that's the source of the big argument, Winslow(since he's the main topic of this thread) in comparision is only 21 as well. To me they are both potentially great football players, but so far have proven to be asses off the field, Taylor with his actions and Winslow with his mouth.

[QUOTE=Daseal]The personal attacks I'll never understand. The guy is a baller and we'd all be saying OMG I HOPE HE IS BETTER BY CAMP had we picked him like many experts thought.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thoughts about Winslow's accident. If he'd been drafted here or if he didn't regularly say stupid things and had his ego a bit more under control, the majority of the reaction to his accident would be completely the opposite of what it has been and that's kind of sad.

MTK 05-03-2005 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]Daseal, I think there is one key point you are missing here. Winslow, like most first round picks in most sports, have language in their contracts which prohibits them from engaging in risky behavior like riding a motorcycle. Anyone can get hurt while riding a motorcycle, true. But he's a certain somebody who's not allowed to ride a motorbike. That's a character issue. He's a guy who doesn't care to honor the language in his contract, so he's a piece of sh*t in my eyes.

Now, I'm not too fond of Taylor at the moment either. I wish he'd be at practice. But that's a better problem than someone who disregards his contract and causes problems the size of what the Browns are dealing with now.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Nothing wrong with riding a bike, but when you're a professional athlete who's being paid millions of dollars, it might not be the most wise thing to do.

I don't understand how we can blast on LaVar and Taylor, but then defend KWII?? I don't get it.

skinsfanthru&thru 05-03-2005 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]Daseal, I think there is one key point you are missing here. Winslow, like most first round picks in most sports, have language in their contracts which prohibits them from engaging in risky behavior like riding a motorcycle. Anyone can get hurt while riding a motorcycle, true. But he's a certain somebody who's not allowed to ride a motorbike. That's a character issue. He's a guy who doesn't care to honor the language in his contract, so he's a piece of sh*t in my eyes.

Now, I'm not too fond of Taylor at the moment either. I wish he'd be at practice. But that's a better problem than someone who disregards his contract and causes problems the size of what the Browns are dealing with now.[/QUOTE]

I hope he does have his signing bonus and recent option bonus taken away cuz maybe this will snap Winslow to the realization that his $H!+ don't stink. Sometimes someone's money has to get involved for them to realize I better watch I do and say.

BossHog 05-03-2005 11:56 AM

I wrecked my Honda scooter back in the day. I was trying to pop-a-wheelie. :oink:

Hijinx 05-03-2005 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]I hope he does have his signing bonus and recent option bonus taken away cuz maybe this will snap Winslow to the realization that his $H!+ don't stink. Sometimes someone's money has to get involved for them to realize I better watch I do and say.[/QUOTE]

I believe he already lost his signing bonus due to his leg injury last season. If the Browns feel he may not make a decent recovery his whole contract may be void. The Browns are usally tight lipped about their contracts, however it is possible that he may end up losing money on his contract. If the dangerous activity clause in his contract has a penalty greater than what he made in his first year, he would be in a Ricky Williams type situation. He would end owing money to Cleveland, perhaps more money than he made in his first year.

Daseal 05-03-2005 12:49 PM

Schneed - you know a lot of pro atheltes have it in their contracts they can't play basketball in the offseason too? However, every offseason lots of Miami players play a pickup game and I know for a fact it's against some of their contracts. Everyone breaks those rules, he's not alone.

skinsguy 05-03-2005 12:53 PM

Winslow is the better receiver when you look at what he did at Miami, but being injury plagued..on and off the field..I'm glad we didn't pick him.

TheMalcolmConnection 05-03-2005 01:02 PM

Think about this though: the situations that got him hurt might have been very different if he was in Washington. I wouldn't wish him on us, but he more than likely wouldn't have gotten hurt.

It wasn't like his leg was just waiting to break.

offiss 05-03-2005 01:07 PM

All this talk about his injuries and I have yet to see anywhere the extent of his injuries, does anyone know? Will they keep him out of the lineup this season?

Schneed10 05-03-2005 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Schneed - you know a lot of pro atheltes have it in their contracts they can't play basketball in the offseason too? However, every offseason lots of Miami players play a pickup game and I know for a fact it's against some of their contracts. Everyone breaks those rules, he's not alone.[/QUOTE]

OK yeah, if you're going to get extremely picky and be totally technical about what's in the contract, I can see your point here. But I think teams aren't big sticklers for the basketball clause unless a player has shown to be a serious pain in the ass previously. I mean come on, we're talking about basketball vs riding a motorcycle. With a motorcycle you're just asking for a career-threatening injury. You can't tell me there is NEARLY the same risk by running a game of hoop. If it's not a character issue to you, you have to admit that it's a stupidity issue. If you're a multimillion dollar athlete, someone whose livelihood and standard of living depend heavily upon their health, why in the world would you go risking your health by riding a motorbike? It just doesn't make sense, it's a dumb decision.

Maybe that's the better way to put it, Winslow is just an idiot. Either way, I'm glad we took ST.

Daseal 05-03-2005 01:20 PM

Listen, I'm not defending Winslow. His mouth is too damn big. However, the guy had a motorcycle accident. IT HAPPENS! You can be just as seriously injured in a car, but we don't make them walk to work.

skinsguy 05-03-2005 01:25 PM

True...however I believe riding on a motorcycle has a much higher risk factor than riding in a car.

cpayne5 05-03-2005 01:26 PM

Didn't Matt Turk get into trouble his last year here because he lied to the team about his broken finger? I think he broke it playing bball and said that he did it weight lifting or something bogus like that.

cpayne5 05-03-2005 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=skinsguy]True...however I believe riding on a motorcycle has a much higher risk factor than riding in a car.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, especially for someone who doesn't know how to ride properly or use the strap on the helmet.

Hijinx 05-03-2005 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=offiss]All this talk about his injuries and I have yet to see anywhere the extent of his injuries, does anyone know? Will they keep him out of the lineup this season?[/QUOTE]

Everyone has been tight lipped about his injuries. Part of the reason little has come out is that there are interal injuries. Tests are needed to find out the extent of the injuries. There was swelling that the doctors wanted to wait on before they did further tests. My guess is that the public will hear something in 2-3 days but that it may be a few months before he can play or practice.