Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Nascar (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/6293-nascar.html)

NY_Skinsfan 05-20-2005 06:51 AM

Nascar

Heard something I thought was quite funny on the way into work last night...

NASCAR stands for Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

If I'm late on the joke, sorry, but it actually got me thinking...

Can something that is non-athletic still be considered a sport? Let's say, fishing or hunting for example....aren't they considered sports? Hell, there is even the term sportfishing...must be a sport then.

What does everyone think? Does a sport have to be athletic in nature to be a true sport? If not, if fishing is considered a sport so couldn't chess right?

Discuss.....

Redskins8588 05-20-2005 07:22 AM

Re: Nascar

I think that if there is any form of competing then it is a sport. Yeah I would consider chess a form of a sport...

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 09:26 AM

I agree. I think sports are either athletic or non-athletic. Just like Redskins8588 says, it's the competition that makes it a sport.

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 09:27 AM

Actually after reading the dictionary definition of sport, anything that doesn't require athletic ability AND skill is not a sport.

JWsleep 05-20-2005 03:01 PM

Is driving an athletic skill? I'd say yes--so it's a sport. I don't think chess is. BUt maybe if driving is an athletic skill, so are video games. And that's gotta be wrong--no offense to gamers, but football is a sport, Madden isn't. ANyway, until they have vidoe gaming on ESPN...

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 04:28 PM

Going by the dictionary again, athleticism's true definition would not warrant driving being a skill either. Athleticism's definition lends the idea that the exertion should be a strenuous effort and I wouldn't think that driving lends itself to that.

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 04:29 PM

And of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate. You can go by what the dictionary says or not. I'm just trying to give a logical argument.

skinznut 05-20-2005 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]Going by the dictionary again, athleticism's true definition would not warrant driving being a skill either. [COLOR=DarkRed]Athleticism's definition lends the idea that the exertion should be a strenuous effort[/COLOR] and I wouldn't think that driving lends itself to that.[/QUOTE]

Neither does golf. :)

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 05:11 PM

Very true. By that definition, golf is definitely not a sport.

INTEresting... :)

TheMalcolmConnection 05-20-2005 05:12 PM

I guess that's the difference between games and sports.

Riggo44 05-20-2005 07:37 PM

Has anyone on this site ever driven a car for 4 hrs at 200 + miles an hour? It is very physically demanding. And you need extremely fast reflexes and nerves of steel to avoid dabree and other cars on the track.
I am not saying you need to be Bo Jackson. But it definatly take a highly developed skill do drive a race car successfully.
I defiantly think it's more of a physically demanding sport then Golf. If you want to call ether a sport. :twocents:

NY_Skinsfan 05-21-2005 08:53 AM

Well then, if driving a car is pysically demanding then you have to say golf is too...

Tiger basically introduced weight training and working out as part of his golf training...it proved successfull so a lot of other golfers seemed to follow suit (except Phil and his man-boobs). Plus, swinging a club as fast as you can while trying to keep it on the proper plane so that you don't slice the hell out of it (like I do) is physically demanding, just not to the same degree and some weightlifter benching 350 lbs.

And again, if the dictionary thinks that golf is not a sport bt definition, then baseball can't be either....i guess the dictionary needs to rethink it's own definition of sport.

Hijinx 06-04-2005 03:18 PM

Yesterday Espn had like 4 hours of coverage of a spelling bee. If thats a sport I guess a dictionary is sports equipment. I am starting to think Espn has spread itself too thin with 4 channels of 24/7 programing.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-04-2005 03:26 PM

NASCAR is as much a sport as table-tennis, golf, and other "quasi-sports." You use you brain, eyes, and hands. What's the difference between turning a steering wheel (oftentimes with great strength) and hitting a ping-pong ball or a golf ball?