Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Jay Gruden thread. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=63971)

skinsfaninok 10-03-2017 07:21 PM

The Jay Gruden thread.

[url]https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/28/washington-redskins-jay-gruden-nfl-offseason-roster[/url]

It's been 4 years, how would you grade Jay in that time frame?

23-28-1 record.

I am sold on the guy and hope he is here for a LONG time, he's a damn good coach that is only going to get better.

He has turned this team into a competitor every season.

CRedskinsRule 10-03-2017 07:39 PM

Re: The Jay Gruden thread.

I think he will be a winning coach but never a SB winning coach. Still I would roll with him for another 4 years regardless of the KC resolution

kct1975 10-03-2017 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfaninok;1176106][url]https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/28/washington-redskins-jay-gruden-nfl-offseason-roster[/url]

It's been 4 years, how would you grade Jay in that time frame?

23-28-1 record.

I am sold on the guy and hope he is here for a LONG time, he's a damn good coach that is only going to get better.

He has turned this team into a competitor every season.[/QUOTE]Personally I agree with everything you said!

While I admit that he isn't as good a coach as his brother Jon, Jay has done a wonderful job with the players he has been given.

And I agree too that he is he has turned the Redskins into a fairly consistent winner or at least a contender.

Even the 'haters' have to say that Jay has at least made the Redskins consistently Revlant.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WillH 10-03-2017 08:18 PM

The Jay Gruden thread.

[QUOTE=kct1975;1176108]Personally I agree with everything you said!

While I admit that he isn't as good a coach as his brother Jon, Jay has done a wonderful job with the players he has been given.

And I agree too that he is he has turned the Redskins into a fairly consistent winner or at least a contender.

Even the 'haters' have to say that Jay has at least made the Redskins consistently Revlant.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Im not sure that it's a definite thing that Jon is better. He had some ups and downs in his career, and his only Super Bowl was in his first year with Tampa in which you can't really credit him with building that team (even Jon credited Dungy after the Super Bowl), and they came back to earth next year after losing a lot of their stars. After that, he never made it past Wild Card.

Certainly after 4 years he had a better record with the Raiders than Jay will after this year, but if it is a good season it won't be by much, and when you consider what he inherited (dysfunction and RG3), can you really count the 4-12 record from his first season?

All I'm saying is the jury is still out on that...

I'm very pro-Jay. My fandom began in the Norv Turner years, and the only thing close to the same level of professionalism, team building, and coaching acumen that we've had here was Gibbs 2.0. Even when he first came back it was known that it was a stopgap. Now we have a coach that could be here for 10+ years. The way this season is starting out, they may be the best they've been since Gibbs 1.0. This is a very exciting time for this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kct1975 10-03-2017 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=WillH;1176112]Im not sure that it's a definite thing that Jon is better. He had some ups and downs in his career, and his only Super Bowl was in his first year with Tampa in which you can't really credit him with building that team (even Jon credited Dungy after the Super Bowl), and they came back to earth next year after losing a lot of their stars. After that, he never made it past Wild Card.

Certainly after 4 years he had a better record with the Raiders than Jay will after this year, but if it is a good season it won't be by much, and when you consider what he inherited (dysfunction and RG3), can you really count the 4-12 record from his first season?

All I'm saying is the jury is still out on that...

I'm very pro-Jay. My fandom began in the Norv Turner years, and the only thing close to the same level of professionalism, team building, and coaching acumen that we've had here was Gibbs 2.0. Even when he first came back it was known that it was a stopgap. Now we have a coach that could be here for 10+ years. The way this season is starting out, they may be the best they've been since Gibbs 1.0. This is a very exciting time for this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Very Good Assessment!

Personally, however, I am one of the 'Veterans' that remember the Glory of the Gibbs 1.0 years. So anything after that is a tall order.

As for the comparison between Jon and Jay, my only minor complaint with Jay is that is does seem, at times, to try to be too much of a Players Coach.

Just my personal opinion...Jay needs to be a bit tougher on the players.

rocnrik 10-03-2017 08:33 PM

PRO JAY!!!!! We could do a lot worse!

CRedskinsRule 10-03-2017 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=rocnrik;1176114]PRO JAY!!!!! We could do a lot worse![/QUOTE]From the guy who called 0-4?

kct1975 10-03-2017 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=rocnrik;1176114]PRO JAY!!!!! We could do a lot worse![/QUOTE]Agreed! [emoji106]

WillH 10-03-2017 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=kct1975;1176113]Very Good Assessment!

Personally, however, I am one of the 'Veterans' that remember the Glory of the Gibbs 1.0 years. So anything after that is a tall order.

As for the comparison between Jon and Jay, my only minor complaint with Jay is that is does seem, at times, to try to be too much of a Players Coach.

Just my personal opinion...Jay needs to be a bit tougher on the players.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear that a lot. That he's too soft on players, but I don't see it...

I will say he has a laid back demeanor. He's not "Chucky," but what Redskins coach has been more critical of their players?

He called out RG3

Matt Jones . . . You fumble and don't improve year over year, you are cut in favor of Mack Brown.

Doctson. You don't practice you don't play.

Sua - figure your shit out . . . Next man up.

He blew up a D line that had some talent but wasn't performing. . . How's that working out?

Compton is a coach favorite, but with two more talented players he's become backup, and even Spaight is getting playing time over him.

Anyways, I respect your perspective and like I said, he doesn't have that fire on the sidelines, but do you have any examples of him being easy on his players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooby 10-03-2017 08:49 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1176107][B]I think he will be a winning coach but never a SB winning coach[/B]. Still I would roll with him for another 4 years regardless of the KC resolution[/quote]

I agree with this. I could see this being a real possibility, however I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

Still he's an upgrade in an area where we've tried many solutions and all have failed. So I'm thankful for that. After the start we've had this year I'm happy to give him credit for progress made. I also think this year gives us yet another example of preseason results meaning very little when it counts.

I also see the improvements we've made on the field and the weight he's dropped in the offseason as signs that he wants to be taken seriously. I'm trying to tread a fine line here because I'm not saying he needs to be in shape for players or coaches to take him seriously, but the weight he's dropped tells me that he's trying to practice what he preaches, which is never a bad thing. How can you emphasize how important being in game shape is when you are also out-of-shape?

calia 10-04-2017 01:44 AM

[quote=WillH;1176117]Yeah, I hear that a lot. That he's too soft on players, but I don't see it...

I will say he has a laid back demeanor. He's not "Chucky," but what Redskins coach has been more critical of their players?

He called out RG3

Matt Jones . . . You fumble and don't improve year over year, you are cut in favor of Mack Brown.

He blew up a D line that had some talent but wasn't performing. . . How's that working out?

Compton is a coach favorite, but with two more talented players he's become backup, and even Spaight is getting playing time over him.

Anyways, I respect your perspective and like I said, he doesn't have that fire on the sidelines, but do you have any examples of him being easy on his players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Good assessment. He sees the team as a meritocracy in the best sense of the word. He's not a sentimental guy; he wants results. And he also values leadership and hard work (hence, his tendency to be pretty patient with folks who seem to be working hard and have ability -- e.g., Ryan Grant).

Personally, I like the fact that he seems like a straight shooter and that he tends to be pretty succinct with his responses (but not monosyllabic or disdainful in an evasive Bellichick-speak kind of way). I also like the fact that he seems to have a sense of humor and isn't afraid to show it here and there.

Moreover, his hires of Tomsula, Callahan, Gray, and Manusky seem very solid and so he seems to have a knack for surrounding himself with some good people. (I am still smiling over the images of Tomsula stalking the sidelines during the Raiders game.)

I'm cool with Jay Gruden as coach. He seems like a genuinely good guy and I think the players play hard for him and each other.

mredskins 10-04-2017 07:19 AM

Good coach good be great, if we lose him we are screwed because not many folks coming to DC. Thanks Jay for hanging in there!

I have said it before but this Redskin's up tick is more on Jay then McC.

MTK 10-04-2017 08:57 AM

There’s a lot more to like about Jay as a HC than not. Hope we’re smart and keep him around for a lot longer.

Chico23231 10-04-2017 09:32 AM

Jay is doing just fine. Really like the more physical offense he installed.

Kope 10-04-2017 09:56 AM

[quote=WillH;1176117]Yeah, I hear that a lot. That he's too soft on players, but I don't see it...

He called out RG3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

This.

One more point. He has shown he has a set to ownership and the FO .... without breaking rapport. Only Joe Gibbs managed that. Jay has no "Me Ego" Jay is all "Team Ego".

Keep Jay.