Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No respect for Skins "D" (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=6591)

Red Robert 06-17-2005 03:31 PM

No respect for Skins "D"

Check out cbssportsline.com for an article by Pete Prisco. He ranks the top 10 players in the league by position on defense. We have only two representatives Arrington and Washington. If I am not mistaken we had one of the top three defenses in the NFL last year. Whats up with that?

SmootSmack 06-17-2005 03:37 PM

Re: No respect for Skins "D"

I think a lot has to do with the fact that people tend to believe it's Gregg Williams that makes our defense good, not our players.

BrudLee 06-17-2005 03:50 PM

I thought Griffin could have been mentioned over John Henderson at DT, and Shawn Springs was mentioned as an All-Pro last year.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-17-2005 03:53 PM

Our defense was comprised of a lot of "no-names" who played well as a unit. That's the biggest reason why Prisco doesn't list more 'Skins.

Paintrain 06-17-2005 03:57 PM

I saw that this morning, the only one who I thought may have garnered more attention was Griffin.. Taylor hasn't done enough, none of the other CBs are top 10, our DE are non descript and we lost Pierce (#5 at MLB somehow).

jermus22 06-17-2005 04:10 PM

Some of our great defenses of the past didn't have a lot of big name players. Look at our starting lineup for the 1991-92 Super Bowl Team

LDE: Charles Mann
LDT: Eric Williams
RDT: Tim Johnson
RDE: Fred Stokes
LLB: Wilber Marshall
MLB: Kurt Gouveia
RLB: Andre Collins
LCB: Martin Mayhew
SS: Danny Copeland
RCB: Darrell Green
FS: Brad Edwards

With the exception of Mann and Green, no other players made the Pro Bowl that year (Marshall did the next season). We don't need recognition, just solid performances. New England is a perfect example of that.

mooby 06-17-2005 05:23 PM

eh, i would rather have a group of guys that perform together as a unit than a bunch of all stars who can't work together.

RedskinRat 06-17-2005 05:45 PM

Let everyone think we have a unremarkable D, they can find out the hard way.

That Guy 06-18-2005 05:39 AM

they have mccalister as the #1 CB? what a joke...

MTK 06-18-2005 10:55 AM

We might not have the individual recognition, but I guarantee that if you went around the league asking offensive coordiantors, they probably respect the hell out of the Redskins defense as a unit. And isn't that all that really matters?

The individual recognition is fine, but when it comes down to it all that matters is how your defense performs as a unit.

Gmanc711 06-18-2005 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]they have mccalister as the #1 CB? what a joke...[/QUOTE]

Who do you think the #1 CB should be? Personally I dont mind McCalister being #1. I know that he does get alot of help from the rest of their exellent defense in terms of pass rush, but I have felt for the past couple years he is hte cream of the crop.

skinsguy 06-19-2005 12:40 AM

[QUOTE=RedskinRat]Let everyone think we have a unremarkable D, they can find out the hard way.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea! At this point, I don't care what the media says about the Redskins. I would rather invite them to say negative stuff about them so that we can prove 'em wrong! Rather than the media to say positive stuff and that we'd still prove them wrong! :smashfrea