Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Greatest American Rock Band is... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=6815)

FRPLG 07-08-2005 01:42 PM

Re: The Greatest American Rock Band is...

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie]to me, Pearl Jam is a niche band, just as KISS, Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett...there are certain people who love them, some that tolerate, and some that don't care for them.

Rockers like Aerosmith, the Stones, Van Halen, et al. are rock bands that stand the test of time, and relate to more than one generation. depending on the flow of music, my kids may find other interests besides Pearl Jam.

the funny thing about polls like this is it's not really that they think Pearl Jam is #1, but that they can defend it easiest (generation), and allows people to talk about it and debate.[/QUOTE]
I tend to agree with this. It is also note worthy that niche type bands generally have fervent fans. Fervent fans are the ones who vote in polls like this in general and I'd say that gives them a boost. PJ is defnitely more of a niche band than a general appeal band.
Someone explain this...how is DMB considered a Rock band? Never once have I heard a DMB song and thought "wow...that really rocked!!!" They're a unique pop band. I like DMB but no way they and some others (Eagles, Journey, et al) are rock bands.

FRPLG 07-08-2005 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]How about Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band[/QUOTE]
Is there a better song than [i]Turn the Page[/i] ever??

MTK 07-08-2005 01:52 PM

I guess it depends on what your definition of rock is.

I know plenty of DMB songs that rock, especially live.

I saw them last week in Saratoga and the balcony was literally shaking during some songs.

SkinsRock 07-11-2005 04:16 PM

I can't really argue about Pearl Jam being up there, although I'd agree that if I had to guess, I would have probably said that Aerosmith would have come up on top.
But really, I'm just shocked that that many people actually know who The Replacements are!!! (my all-time favorite band)

As for defining rock, we all know it's technically short for Rock 'n Roll, but these days, when someone just says "rock", it tends to be more connected to moderate to hard rock, which bands like Aerosmith and Pearl Jam fit into. The way I see it, DMB is a groove-oriented folk rock band...switch the guitar to an electric, and it would sound much more "rock".

I like them, but how in the world did Queensryche get on there, and especially that far up the list??? And to comment on what someone else mentioned, Chicago is a (soft) rock band, so if Journey and Fleetwood Mac are included, they should be as well. But keep in mind that a ton of #1 hits doesn't make a band a great rock band, it makes them a great pop band.

Also, I'd put a few others up there or close (bands I think have made an impact, not necessarily my favorites):

Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Motley Crue (currently out there proving how big their fan base is)
Rage Against the Machine
Heart
Janes Addiction
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Green Day
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (if you're gonna include Bruce and the E Street Band)

wolfeskins 07-11-2005 04:42 PM

i'm shocked that the INSANE CLOWN POSSE did'nt make the list:laughing- but seriously if i was putting this list together PEARL JAM wouldn't even make my top 10 , possibly not even my top 20.

SmootSmack 07-11-2005 04:45 PM

How far a stretch is it to count Beastie Boys as a great band that rocks?

TheMalcolmConnection 07-11-2005 04:45 PM

Pearl Jam wouldn't make it on mine either. Neither would Green Day. All of their albums, save their newest one all sound the same.

wolfeskins 07-11-2005 04:50 PM

green day arent even american......are they ?

MTK 07-11-2005 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]How far a stretch is it to count Beastie Boys as a great band that rocks?[/QUOTE]

I'll second that

Riggo44 07-11-2005 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]green day arent even american......are they ?[/QUOTE]
Yea there from Berkeley,San Francisco area.

wolfeskins 07-11-2005 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=Riggo44]Yea there from Berkeley,San Francisco area.[/QUOTE]

oh, i thought the lead singer was english or something.
learn something new everyday.......thanks.

Riggo44 07-11-2005 09:13 PM

The best American band of all time is the New Kids on the Block!! :headbange Duhh!!!

No but really it depends on the mood I'm in. If I am just kicking it relaxing with a brew. Then you really can't go wrong with the Egales.

Redskins8588 07-12-2005 02:30 AM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]oh, i thought the lead singer was english or something.
learn something new everyday.......thanks.[/QUOTE]
No, there drummer is german I think, but the founding 2 are from CA... I think that Green Day is very good I like all of there CD's...

wolfeskins 07-12-2005 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588]No, there drummer is german I think, but the founding 2 are from CA... I think that Green Day is very good I like all of there CD's...[/QUOTE]

yea, their music is alright but not good enough to be in the top twenty.

CrazyCanuck 07-13-2005 02:00 PM

You know I love Americans, but I was really surprised how weak your overall list looks. The Canadian rock band list is almost more impressive!

IMO the only possible choices for #1 would have to be Aerosmith or Springsteen (if he counts). I don't think anyone else really comes close.

Notables:

Eagles - maybe not a "rock" band but still very solid and at their peak they were the biggest band in the world...

GNR - pretty good hard rock band but let's not get crazy here...

Pearl Jam - I'm a big fan, loved their concert, but cant bring myself to call them #1 US rock band of all-time...

Van Halen - they're ok I like some songs but they never really did much for me - overhyped...

Journey - yes I'd agree they might be more of a pop band but let's give credit where it's due, these guys have tons of hits...

Grateful Dead - was never a huge fan but gotta respect their cult following. I saw a Dead show shortly before Jerry died and I have to say it was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen...

Doors - #1 potential but I just don't think they were around long enough...

REM - have always been a big fan, but their concert was the WORST show I ever saw in my life. It's the ONLY concert I ever left early...

Petty - He'd be in my top 3 if allowed. I love Petty and think he's VERY underrated...