Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Riggo Blasting Skins. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=6955)

Daseal 07-26-2005 07:00 PM

Riggo Blasting Skins.

Riggo does a show on Sirrius NFL radio called the Afternoon Blitz. On my way to work in the morning (between 12:30 and 4 AM depending on the day) I often hear part of the replay. In short this is what he said:
1) Thinks Dallas is the team in the division that can take the Eagles if anyone can. Thinks their defense will be great and offense will be really strong too. It was a consensus that the 'Skins would be last in the NFC East and the Giants/Cowboys would fight for 2nd place.
2) If Gibbs has a winning record he should be nominated for coach of the year. Said he has to completely reinvent himself and doesnt know if he has the talent to do what he wants to do.
3) Thinks if Portis has 1700 yards that the skins may have a shot at a winning record, especially with the playaction.
4) Says Ramsey is playing for an NFL career and not a Redskins career. Said he wouldn't be suprised if with all the shit they've put him through he says no if they extend his contract. They bring in Brunell and give him the cold shoulder. Brunell fails miserably, then they give up A LOT to get a first round pick to get Campbell. He mentioned that it doesnt exactly ooze confidence of your starting QB. (I must say I agree with this point.)
5) Pretty much said that there were huge downgrades at receiver (also agree) and though faster they're either little, unproven, or both. We dont have that possession Art Monk guy. No one knows if McCants will see the field.

Now, you guys know what a pessimist I am. He had me saying no way and yelling at the radio. At 3AM.... I got some odd looks.. However every show has the skins coming in last in the division. What do you guys think about this. Are we that big of a homer site? Or are they simply part of the "media bias" against the Redskins.

wolfeskins 07-26-2005 07:22 PM

Re: Riggo Blasting Skins.

i'm glad people are saying that the skins are gonna be a bad team, it makes it all the more sweet when tha skins prove them wrong.

for the last couple of years the skins have made big splashes in free agency and people would always say that the skins would be a contender to win the east.....look what happened, this year the skins get role players,seasoned vets, solid but not spectacular players. no big splashes, therefore people say the skins are gonna struggle. i think the skins are gonna have a surprisingly good year and shock all the naysayers...........we'll see.

skins052bgr8 07-26-2005 07:24 PM

I would have been yelling at that damn radio also. How does all of a sudden the Cowboys who are changing defensive schemes and drafted some unproven rookies become the ones who post a threat to the Eagles. Pile of crap!!!! I do think the media all make the safe bets to make themselves look good and just repeat the same mess over and over. Skins just are not getting their props until they start winning again it is just a safe media bet for them to down play them or post negative takes. It usually takes a few wins and they will be turning it around and stating we new Gibbs would turn this around.
The last half of the season glimpses turned into some solid play that can only carry over to this year and make us better. Media always says Ramsey's confidence is shot, but everyone I hear talk about Ramsey on the team talks about how he has taking control of the team. A year of looking at where we went wrong with coaching can only make us better this year, all last year we learned as we went no dramatic changes which should have been expected but plugging in changes here and there. Now we have had a unbelieveable offseason in participation to make some bigger changes and improvements. 9-7 or 10-6.

offiss 07-26-2005 07:28 PM

Riggo is pretty much on with his assesment, especially with Ramsey, from what I can gather he believes that the problem has been coaching and not Ramsey which I have said from day one, the rest of the league knows Ramsey is a player unfortuantly Gibbs hasen't figured that out yet.

As far as our WR's we can only improve, what we had clearly wasen't getting the job done.

As far as our record? We could be great, or horrible, we have the talent the question is can Gibbs put it together, bottom line Gibbs was awful last year, will that be his acclamation process, and he will come out firing this year, or is he washed up? Personally judging from what I saw last season, to the drafting of Campbell, Gibbs has a way's to go before he really settles in.

I believe that Campbell pick will really haunt Gibbs over the coarse of the next few season's, I believe this season is a bigger test for Gibbs than Ramsey, regardless of what Ramsey does for us other teams would still pay a big price for him because I believe most of the league believes the blame for our failures lies with coaching, not with Ramsey!

MTK 07-26-2005 07:28 PM

Nothing new from Riggo here that everyone else in the media hasn't already been saying.

Yawn.

We'll see how things play out on the field, the only place that matters. I'm tired of all the talk, especially the naysayers.

skins009 07-26-2005 07:29 PM

The fact of the matter is the NFL is very unpredictable. Just see San Diego. I can think of many senarios where the skins will be great(Lavar plays to his potential, Ramsey steps up, Portis shines) I can also think of senarios where the skins do terrible ( Ramsey doesn't step up, defense drops off, offensive sceme sucks). Where just gonna have to wait and see. My prediction is that we win 9 games this year.

GoSkins! 07-26-2005 09:01 PM

Did they predict that the Seahawks will be in the Superbowl again too?

Redskins_P 07-26-2005 09:07 PM

Thats just Riggo being Riggo. I mean we're talking about the same guy who said Gibbs was going to quit during the season because he didn't look healthy. I like Riggo and all...he's one of my all time favorites, but I can't agree with anything he said except for what he said about Ramsey. If the he does blow up this year, it might be hard to resign him. He's gonna be looking for a payday, and after what he's been through here....money might not even matter.

skinsguy 07-26-2005 10:04 PM

Same ol' stuff rehashed over and over again. We can agree or disagree with the naysayers, but it all comes down to proving it on the field.

Longtimefan 07-26-2005 10:05 PM

Keep the faith guys. If we continue listening to the doubters there's no use playing the season. We may as well mail the season in now and just give the Division Title to one of the other three teams. I totally disagree about our receiving core, and I think the group we have there are going to do well. I'm not convinced we have to have a 6'3" to 6'4" guy to have a successful group, the Smurf's did very well during their tenure with our biggest guy being Art Monk. I could be wrong that's why I'm anxious for the games to get started so we can put an end to all the doubt about the receiving core. I see no reason at all why this group can't do very well. "We'll See".

12thMan 07-26-2005 10:10 PM

I'm personally liking the fact that all bets are against us. It just seems too easy for these (media) guys, love him to death but Riggo included, to give the Skins bad press.

While they say teams like Dallas, Bengals, and Seattle are proclaimed to be this year's suprise in the league. I think we are this year's San Diego Chargers. Barring a rash of injuries overtaking the team, I like the Skns at 11-5 this year!! But like MattyK72 said, it'll all be played out on the field.

SmootSmack 07-26-2005 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Riggo does a show on Sirrius NFL radio called the Afternoon Blitz. On my way to work in the morning (between 12:30 and 4 AM depending on the day) I often hear part of the replay.[/QUOTE]

Where do you go to work so early?

gortiz 07-26-2005 10:49 PM

I love Riggo to death, but he is a drunk jock, and I'm sure while he was making those comments half of his attention was day dreaming about where he was going to eat after work . . . .:cheers #44

Also, I bet you any money he is pissed off at the commetn Gibbs made about Portis having the best season of any of his running backs. . .

Daseal 07-26-2005 10:57 PM

TAFKAS - I'm delivering bread for my summer job. The hours suck but the pay is great. I can do anything for three months!

PS - Regardless I still love Sirrius NFL radio and suggest it to everyone. They have some guys that really make some sense. You'll never agree with everything people say, but it's nice to get multiple perspectives and something in depth. Something articles people like Kirwan write that isn't as well conveyed through his writing.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-26-2005 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Riggo does a show on Sirrius NFL radio called the Afternoon Blitz. On my way to work in the morning (between 12:30 and 4 AM depending on the day) I often hear part of the replay. In short this is what he said:
1) Thinks Dallas is the team in the division that can take the Eagles if anyone can. Thinks their defense will be great and offense will be really strong too. It was a consensus that the 'Skins would be last in the NFC East and the Giants/Cowboys would fight for 2nd place.
2) If Gibbs has a winning record he should be nominated for coach of the year. Said he has to completely reinvent himself and doesnt know if he has the talent to do what he wants to do.
3) Thinks if Portis has 1700 yards that the skins may have a shot at a winning record, especially with the playaction.
4) Says Ramsey is playing for an NFL career and not a Redskins career. Said he wouldn't be suprised if with all the shit they've put him through he says no if they extend his contract. They bring in Brunell and give him the cold shoulder. Brunell fails miserably, then they give up A LOT to get a first round pick to get Campbell. He mentioned that it doesnt exactly ooze confidence of your starting QB. (I must say I agree with this point.)
5) Pretty much said that there were huge downgrades at receiver (also agree) and though faster they're either little, unproven, or both. We dont have that possession Art Monk guy. No one knows if McCants will see the field.[/QUOTE]

1). Even though I think the Eagles will win the division, Dallas is probably in the best position to challenge the Eagles. They've certainly go the personnel to be a great defense; even if the 3-4 doesn't work, they've got the people to play the 4-3. I don't know if I can agree with the assessment that their offense will be great (Bledsoe is a big question mark as is their O-line).
2). Gibbs won't have to reinvent himself (he's a great coach), but he will have to reinvent the offensive game-plan.
3). If Portis gets 1,700 yards, its hard to imagine a losing season. First, if he's running a lot, that probably means we're winning, or "in," games. Second, if he gets 1,700 yards, it's hard to imagine the running game (the key to a decent offense) being unproductive.
4). The Redskins certainly haven't shown confidence in Ramsey.
5). While the Redskins haven't downgraded their WR corps necessarily, they don't have a proven top wideout who scares defenses or a big, possession wideout.

All in all, I take issue with some of what Riggo said and I'm not pessimistic about the season, but his comments are that far off the mark.