Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can this be right? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7183)

sportscurmudgeon 08-08-2005 09:53 PM

Can this be right?

I was out of touch over the weekend and saw about 20 minutes of ESPN News whilst enjoying a quick brewski in a "joint" in a remote area. What I saw/heard as part of a rundown on the tumultuous Redskins' offseason was a report of a comment by Sean Taylor about why he never returned Joe Gibbs' phone calls.

According to the talking head, Taylor said he could have returned the calls but figured that since it was the offseason, he didn't have to.

Did I hear that right? Did Taylor ever say anything nearly that stupid? Or is this some kind of grotesque misrepresentation?

If he actually said anything close to that, then Sean Taylor has retired the trophy for MEATHEAD of the DECADE. If he didn't say anything close to that, did he say something remotely pertinent to why he never returned the head coach's phone calls?

wolfeskins 08-08-2005 10:00 PM

Re: Can this be right?

i'm not sure if he did or did not say what you said he said but i do know that he admitted that it was a mistake not to return gibbs's calls and said he would return gibbs's calls in the future.

gortiz 08-08-2005 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]
If he actually said anything close to that, then Sean Taylor has retired the trophy for MEATHEAD of the DECADE. If he didn't say anything close to that, did he say something remotely pertinent to why he never returned the head coach's phone calls?[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the report, but in his press conference a week or so ago, he was pretty clear that he didn't do what was expected of him because it was "offseason." After at watching that presser, I'm will not be surprised if he did make that comment on ESPN. He made it clear that he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to during "offseason"

EternalEnigma21 08-08-2005 10:37 PM

The video was up at redskins.com... look in press conferences. He states that gibbs stressed communication to him during thier recent meeting and whan asked why he wasn't at OTA's he said, "it was offseason". Then repeated the response a couple of times and when someone asked specifically about not returning Gibb's calls, he says he's not getting into that but it was offseason and thats all he can say.

MTK 08-08-2005 10:41 PM

I think it's his attempt at making a very lame excuse, basically he didn't have a good reason to not call Gibbs back.

Still, he could have come up with something better. My cell phone was messed up and I didn't get the messages... something better than I thought I didn't have to.

GoSkins! 08-08-2005 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I think it's his attempt at making a very lame excuse, basically he didn't have a good reason to not call Gibbs back.

Still, he could have come up with something better. My cell phone was messed up and I didn't get the messages... something better than I thought I didn't have to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like "I got my money now. Stop bothering me. You know I only signed up to work half the year".

Matty you are 100% correct. There was no good reason. Not even one he could make up.

GoSkins! 08-08-2005 11:16 PM

That said, he will have to make it up on the field!

MTK 08-08-2005 11:19 PM

I've said it before, the offseason stuff is water under the bridge to me now. All I care about is he's in camp, he seems to be aware that he made some mistakes and he's hopefully learned a thing or two.

We'll cross his legal bridge when we come to it, until then let's enjoy watching him tear it up on the field!

SmootSmack 08-09-2005 01:16 AM

I'm with you Matty. Ideally we'd get the complete package-star player on the field, who says and does all the right things on the field.

But if I have to choose one I'd rather have the star player on the field. Courtesy and good soundbites aren't what's going to help us win Super Bowls, it's on-field performance

dblanch66 08-09-2005 03:33 AM

true. look at Ray Lewis.

Paintrain 08-09-2005 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]I was out of touch over the weekend and saw about 20 minutes of ESPN News whilst enjoying a quick brewski in a "joint" in a remote area. What I saw/heard as part of a rundown on the tumultuous Redskins' offseason was a report of a comment by Sean Taylor about why he never returned Joe Gibbs' phone calls.

According to the talking head, Taylor said he could have returned the calls but figured that since it was the offseason, he didn't have to.

Did I hear that right? Did Taylor ever say anything nearly that stupid? Or is this some kind of grotesque misrepresentation?

If he actually said anything close to that, then Sean Taylor has retired the trophy for MEATHEAD of the DECADE. If he didn't say anything close to that, did he say something remotely pertinent to why he never returned the head coach's phone calls?[/QUOTE]

That's essentially what he said, but also in another interview expressed that he made a mistake in doing so.. At this point the OTA thing is over and done with in my opinion. The players don't seem to care, they're happy to have him, Williams is being the hammer by leaving him on 2nd team for now but when the season starts you can figure he'll be out there with the starters. Other than mini-camp, I think the whole OTA thing is just off season media fodder.. Even a couple guys said that most of what he was missing was weights and conditioning anyways, it seems like he was doing that himeself..

TheMalcolmConnection 08-09-2005 07:52 AM

This is how I see it. Yes, he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, or the most polite, BUT he showed up when he was supposed to, he showed up in top condition AND he's picking up right where he left off last year. If it takes him being in Miami all offseason to come back and play this way, so be it (just stay out of trouble).

That Guy 08-09-2005 08:18 AM

portis did the same thing between 1500 yard rushing 200+ receiving and 15+ td seasons in denver... most people find it generally annoying when stars go awol, but he's showed up for games so it tends to be forgiven.

FRPLG 08-09-2005 08:38 AM

This guy is the most enigmatic guy ever. Everyone who knows him says he is a standup guy. Nicest guy in the world. Not a punk bitch or anything. He plays his ass of on the field and his teamates think he is great. At the same time they say he is immature and stubborn and basically doesn't listen because he is hard headed. So he screws off because people tell him not to. He is seriously like a 2 year old. Always doing exactly opposite of what others want him to do. Maybe next year they can tell him to get boozed and coked up with some hos during off season and he'll show up for OTAs out of spite. What a knucklehead!

TheMalcolmConnection 08-09-2005 09:28 AM

There is no doubt that he's immature. All I ask is that when he shows up, he shows up to play...