Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shannon Sharpe on Rod Gardner (Preseason 2005) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7249)

offiss 08-13-2005 01:24 AM

Re: Shannon Sharpe on Rod Gardner.

I don't doubt that carolina's system is far more conducive to Gardner's style, but regardless of that they will come to the same conclusion we have, Gardner will burn you every time, and when you can't trust a WR to make a simple catch in a big spot you really don't care what he does the rest of the game because you know he can't be trusted in a crucial spot, so you don't want him on the field period.

Just wondering if he's blaming the coaches for all his assinine penalties as well? For you panther fans, Rod doesn't have to actually be in a play or drop a ball to burn you, he can be committing a stupid personal foul away from the ball and kill you that way as well. Good luck with him though you'll need it!

Didn't Champ bad mouth us last year? And he turned in a stellar performance last season didn't he, the overated, overhyped, overpaid legend that he is

BigSKINBauer 08-13-2005 04:33 AM

guys guys guys look at what Gardner said today

Aug 12 Jenna Fryer, of the Associated Press, reports Carolina Panthers WR Rod Gardner has no ill feelings towards his former team, the Washington Redskins. "They took care of me while I was there," said Gardner, who asked for a trade and was dealt to Carolina for a sixth-round draft pick in July. "I have no complaints. When I asked for a trade, I was blessed to get down here to Carolina. This gives me a chance to exhale and go out there and compete and start over fresh."
[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5462/news"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5462/news[/url]

BigSKINBauer 08-13-2005 04:36 AM

i still want to see some drop it like it is hot action tommorrow though

GoSkins! 08-13-2005 07:04 AM

Gardner had a 100 yard season here in Washington. The guy has the ability to be a legitamate threat. That said, he didn't have the speed to break away from guys and he didn't win as many jump balls as he should have. He could have been used better in the skins offense, but I think that after a few crucial 3rd down drops he lost favor with coachs.

Now, put Gardner in a new situation, new team, QB with a different touch on his throws, he may very well shine. The problem is that, from what I've personally witnessed, he will want to make a play before he catchs the ball and drop the easy one... even when the catch is of vital importance.

Gardner shines in his circus catch ability because thats when he has to concentrate only on catching the ball.

mooby 08-13-2005 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=GoSkins!]Gardner had a 100 yard season [/QUOTE]

yeah plenty of washington receivers have had those lately.

beg8878 08-13-2005 10:30 AM

[/Quote] Since all this came about there's been only one person to come in and actually take some fucking responsibility when it comes to losing and that's our current head coach.[/QUOTE]

Quote of The Year :food-smil

wolfeskins 08-13-2005 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=jamf]i dissagree wolfeskins.

i think coles and his toe is better than moss and his hamstring/ankle/knee.
gardner was able to compete and beat defender. his problem was concentration and offensive consistency.

what facinates me is the high praise for patten. what has patten done in his career? is being a 3rd stringer in a superbowl a big deal?
btw
that wr you call pathetic has more TD's in 4 years with 3 different coaches than patten has in his 8 year career and he has 600 less yards than patten in half the time.

gardner has and will be a 1000 yard receiver. i wish him well, btw i agree with the comments he made. the offence was horrible, the QB's are garbage.

patten is a scrub. moss is delicate. coles is better than they are.[/QUOTE]

how many games has moss missed because of injury? coles stats for last year were posted earlier, before and after the toe injury, those stats tell the story.

let me tell you what patten has done, since you don't know. he's been one of the most CONSISTANT receivers in the nfl, he does NOT drop passes, he does NOT complaine, he wasn't brought here to be the teams #1 wr, he's here to bring CONSISTANCY and RELIABILITY to the team, something that gardner could not do. gardner might have more tds or catches but thats because gardner was drafted by marty to be the skins "go to guy", marty had plenty of plays called for just gardner, likewise did spurrier until the arrival of coles. patten comes from a team that stresses that there is no "go to guy" or #1 wr, they spread the ball around to all their wideouts.

gardner may have a 1000 yard year in carolina, good for him but i really don't care, i care more about moss,patten and the rest of the skins receivers. as to gardner and you agreeing that the skins offense was horrible and the qbs are garbage, i'll agree about the offense last year but i do NOT consider patrick ramsey as garbage. i think he'll have a pretty good season this year.

That Guy 08-13-2005 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=BigSKINBauer]I believe that coles got hurt week 3 of the season before this past one here are how his stats looked
Week 1 106
Week 2 180
Week 3 105
NOW HE GETS HURT
Week 4 62
Week 5 60
Week 6 58
WEEK 7 17!!!
in fact the rest of the year he had 1 game OVER 100 yards

First 3 weeks without injury 3 games over 100 yards. Next 29 games 2 games over 100 yards
Since yards are not everything
in that first game he averaged 21.2 yards a catch after that he only had 1 game with more YPC the rest of his redskin career

Now i am just stating facts and if you read the top of that and inferred that i was saying coles was doing worse after his injury........ well then you just agreed that coles has done worse after his injury because i never said coles was doing worse and you came to that conclusion on your own
[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187742/gamelogs/2003"]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187742/gamelogs/2003[/url][/QUOTE]

still, even with the hurt toe, his stats dropped 300 yards and his ypc dropped by [b]50%[/b] under GIBBS. some of that may be brunell of course, but hasslebeck didn't exactly light it up when he played in 2003 either.

That Guy 08-13-2005 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=canthetuna]
Since all this came about there's been only one person to come in and actually take some fucking responsibility when it comes to losing and that's our current head coach. Spurrier ran off at the mouth about Snyder after he left... and if i'm not mistaken shottenheimer did so as well. (don't know about turner). And I think that's where the winning mentality has to start. You have to hold yourself responsible for what's going on around you and take responsiblity to fix it if its not working.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but i think schotty did have some legitimate complaints. He was the GM and danny had trouble dealing without having control (or much input).

JWsleep 08-13-2005 12:41 PM

Look--the O sucked last year. So the WRs stats were weak. I think the real reason Gardner is gone is becuase he didn't want to be here--and he wasn't so great that we fought to change his mind. Likewise with Coles.

Both COles and Gardner will have good stats this year (though I very much doubt Coles gets as mny balls thrown to him as he did last year--he got the ball a TON), but they didn't fit here anymore--they didn't want to be here. That attitude was reason enough to move them. THe toe and the inconsistency were secondary, though important reasons.

As for responsibility and the FO, if you haven't noticed a change since Gibbs got here, I don't think you've been looking very closely. Sure, there was Brunnell. But since that, we've been controlled in our approach. We'll see if it pays off. I'm optimistic. ANd people outside of the organization undersetimate the attitude change inside redskins park with the players. I think that is probably the biggest thing to change. Of course, the real test comes in the season, especially when we lose games, which we will. The question is, how tough are we? How united? Do we come together or split apart? That will determine if Gibbs has had an impact.

wolfeskins 08-13-2005 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=JWsleep]Look--the O sucked last year. So the WRs stats were weak. I think the real reason Gardner is gone is becuase he didn't want to be here--and he wasn't so great that we fought to change his mind. Likewise with Coles.

Both COles and Gardner will have good stats this year (though I very much doubt Coles gets as mny balls thrown to him as he did last year--he got the ball a TON), but they didn't fit here anymore--they didn't want to be here. That attitude was reason enough to move them. THe toe and the inconsistency were secondary, though important reasons.

As for responsibility and the FO, if you haven't noticed a change since Gibbs got here, I don't think you've been looking very closely. Sure, there was Brunnell. But since that, we've been controlled in our approach. We'll see if it pays off. I'm optimistic. ANd people outside of the organization undersetimate the attitude change inside redskins park with the players. I think that is probably the biggest thing to change. Of course, the real test comes in the season, especially when we lose games, which we will. The question is, how tough are we? How united? Do we come together or split apart? That will determine if Gibbs has had an impact.[/QUOTE]

well said, nice post.

steveo395 01-31-2006 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=steveo395]but neither of them wanted to be here, so they probably would have played even worse than last year if they stayed. We needed to get rid of both of them and I'm glad we did. I'm happy with a 3-time super bowl winner and a legitamite deep threat then "drop it like its hot" and "the toe."[/QUOTE]
yea i keep bringing back old threads, but i like how i was pretty much the only one who was right on this one

70Chip 01-31-2006 06:19 PM

Shannon Sharpe is almost as big of a bust as an announcer as Gardner was as a receiver in Carolina. Gibbs knows what he is doing. Remember that when he gets rid of Lavar and signs Keyshawn. You guys will be loving Keyshawn in a year.

Daseal 01-31-2006 06:22 PM

While Ive been pleasantly shocked by Moss's coming out party, I still have doubts on if he can have big games week in and week out against good defenses (all his 100+ receiving games came on secondaries ranked worse than 20th) and if he can go a whole season playing like that/injury free again.

I, for one, sure hope he does and I'm wrong!

itvnetop 01-31-2006 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=70Chip] You guys will be loving Keyshawn in a year.[/QUOTE]

i'd love key on my team... the guy is a fierce competitor regardless of the situation. anyone would probaby yell at drew bledsoe if he was your quarterback!

he'd be the solid possession receiver we need!