Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins' Purported Ideal Starters (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=73)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-26-2004 11:43 AM

Redskins' Purported Ideal Starters

According to the Washington Times, the following is what Gibbs, Cerrato, and Snyder envision as the starting lineup:

Dline: Wynn, Coleman (Raiders FA), Griffin (Giants FA), Kearse (Titans FA)
LBs: Arrington, Trotter, Holdman (Bears FA)
CBs: Smoot, Springs (Seahawks FA)
SS/FS: Bowen, Taylor (I think?)

Oline: Samuels, Dockery, ???, Thomas, Jansen
WRs: Coles, Gardner
TE: Kleinsasser (Vikings FA)
QB: Brunell (Jaguars Trade)/Ramsey
RB: Portis (Broncos Trade)
FB: Johnson

Not bad at all, I don’t see any major holes

JWsleep 02-26-2004 11:47 AM

Wow! Can they really do this? What does it mean for us in the longer term (3-4 years)? Will they have to restructure Samuels to make it go? Looks pretty good to me, and I would love to *GET* Taylor. He'd make up for the champ loss, and make the whole secondary better, to say nothing of his hitting and run support.

MTK 02-26-2004 11:48 AM

No Wistrom? I think he'd be a great fit and would be much cheaper than Kearse.

redwagonskins 02-26-2004 11:52 AM

that does look nice but it seems we always win the preseason superbowl and few actual games. Remember the Bruce Smith/ Deion days? We couldn't lose, right? This looks great but we need to get some consistency especially on d-line so guys learn they can count on the guy next to them. If not, we'll just keep going through this carousel every off-season.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 02-26-2004 11:52 AM

WAIT! You all are forgetting about a HUGE hole in the lineup - We don't have a punter!

We're soooo screwed!

Seriously - can some of you smart guys do the math on a lineup like this before we all get excited and speculative on it? I don't see how the salary cap would allow for all of them....
:confused:

JWsleep 02-26-2004 11:55 AM

What's the link to the times article?

JWsleep 02-26-2004 11:56 AM

Duh. It's on the newswire. Thanks, RF.

MTK 02-26-2004 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=redwagonskins]that does look nice but it seems we always win the preseason superbowl and few actual games. Remember the Bruce Smith/ Deion days? We couldn't lose, right? This looks great but we need to get some consistency especially on d-line so guys learn they can count on the guy next to them. If not, we'll just keep going through this carousel every off-season.[/QUOTE]

The biggest difference is we never had a coaching staff like this one. I'd be willing to bet things would have been much different in 2000 if Gibbs was here.

AnonEmouse 02-26-2004 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]WAIT! You all are forgetting about a HUGE hole in the lineup - We don't have a punter!

We're soooo screwed!
[/QUOTE]

Look for a trade of the #5 pick for other picks. Then look for us to draft a punter. In the end there's still FA. Nobody can seriously say we are screwed before the trades and FA moves take place, let alone the draft.

Chill, have faith.

Gmanc711 02-26-2004 12:01 PM

As would I, we just fell apart in the middle of the year, that has to do somthing with coaching. We were 5-2 and on top of the world, with Gibbs it would have been different. Plus all the FA's there were older. Yeah but we need the math done on that, cause that could be expensive

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-26-2004 12:03 PM

We still have a 5th round pick which could be used for a good punter or we could go after someone via trade/FA. I'm sure there will be someone.

I think all of these signings could be done for relatively reasonable amount of money without screwing our cap (except the Kearse deal). They are also targeting Deon Grant of the Panthers and maybe they'd take Udeze instead of Taylor in the draft.

As to the idea of getting Wistrom, while I like it, he's going to be very expensive and doesn't give us the pass rush we need (like Kearse will).

Beemnseven 02-26-2004 02:04 PM

I'm sorry, but, am I the only one who expresses concern at an article like this that basically tells the world what our plans are?

Is this a direct quote from Gibbs? Or is it a writer's prediction?

If I were any other team, especially in our division, I would make at least an attempt to snatch up exactly the players that are mentioned.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-26-2004 02:11 PM

It's probably just speculation based on incomplete information. I don't think that too many teams outside our conference will alter their plans based on ours and I doubt those in our division will significantly alter theirs. Most people already know who's out there, where we have needs, and what our probable plans are anyways.

Besides, this info would be leaked as soon as we got into negotiations with the players' agents since the agents always look to start bidding wars.

drew54 02-26-2004 02:38 PM

Johnson at full back?!?!? What about The ROCK?

offiss 02-26-2004 02:52 PM

going after another LB? I like pierce a lot I hope he get's a real shot this year, he has a nose for the ball.