Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Arrington Has a Deal. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7428)

JWsleep 08-25-2005 12:58 PM

Re: Arrington Has a Deal.

Canuck--why would they void the deal? Aren't they basically saying, look, if you're playing at pro-bowl level, we'll pay you 3.25 more, because we think you're worth it? Wonder how that 3.25 is spread over the life of the deal?

My guess is Gibbs said give the guy a bone here--he's worth it. BUt if we really don't want him after 2007, we can let him go. But don't they want him? Why give him anything at all? Seemed to me that the skins didn't have to do this.

Wow. Lavar certainly has an incentive to make the pro-bowl now!

CrazyCanuck 08-25-2005 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I could see that happening too.

It would definitely take a huge contract off the team's hands. By then he'll be 30 or older and in at least his 8th year in the league.

Could be a convenient time for both sides to move on.

But who knows, if the team is winning and he's playing at a high level...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matty - you articulated my thoughts better than I did.

firstdown 08-25-2005 01:19 PM

I think this is a great deal for both sides and plus we have resolved this matter before the season has started. Lavar makes out in that if he makes the probowl twice in the next 4 years he is guaranted at least 3.25mil. What I mean by that is if he would chose to leave and we let him he would get much more as a signing bonus from another team. the Skins now would have a choice to keep him if he acheived this goal and would want to try free agency. Would we pay him the the 3.25 probably because he is earning it and I think that was what the skins wanted. They did not just want to give up the money for him not to play up to his contract.

CrazyCanuck 08-25-2005 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=JWsleep]Canuck--why would they void the deal? Aren't they basically saying, look, if you're playing at pro-bowl level, we'll pay you 3.25 more, because we think you're worth it?[/QUOTE]

They could just say "if you make 2 pro bowls we'll give you an extra $3M bonus". But they are also allowing Lavar to void the deal and become a free agent. Why? As a favor to Lavar? I doubt it. The reason is the Skins would probably love to dump his big contract anyways, but this way they can try to milk a couple pro bowl seasons out of him first.

[QUOTE=JWsleep]But don't they want him? Why give him anything at all? Seemed to me that the skins didn't have to do this.[/QUOTE]

Like I said above I don't think the Skins gave him anything here. Instead we gave him motivation to make the pro bowl, while still retaining our option to keep him at that time for $3M. Sounds like a good deal to me.

mooby 08-25-2005 02:11 PM

i wish we didn't give arrington the option to void those last few years of his deal. i wanted him to be a redskin for life, now i'm not sure whether they'll cut him if he wants to or what.

MTK 08-25-2005 02:14 PM

All I care about is this silly grievance is over and he's healthy.

What could happen 2 years from now really isn't a concern.

dblanch66 08-25-2005 02:23 PM

Exactly Matty. All that matters is now. Lost in all of this was an important fact mentioned in the article. "the deal was completed because of the relationship between Arrington and coach Joe Gibbs". I remember a while back when Joe returned to coach, one of the areas of concern was: can Gibbs relate to today's players? This issue plus, in all of the "60 seconds with a Redskin" segments on Redskins.com, look at the way the players describe him..
Honest, cool, calm, fair etc. Slowly but surely, with the Lavar issue now a done deal, this franchise is becoming...gulp....stable.

Schneed10 08-25-2005 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=dblanch66]Exactly Matty. All that matters is now. Lost in all of this was an important fact mentioned in the article. "the deal was completed because of the relationship between Arrington and coach Joe Gibbs". I remember a while back when Joe returned to coach, one of the areas of concern was: can Gibbs relate to today's players? This issue plus, in all of the "60 seconds with a Redskin" segments on Redskins.com, look at the way the players describe him..
Honest, cool, calm, fair etc. Slowly but surely, with the Lavar issue now a done deal, this franchise is becoming...gulp....stable.[/QUOTE]

Nice point, stability is key.

Looking at Arrington's contract, his base salaries stay relatively low for the next 3 years. This year and next year he is at $540,000. Then in the third year, in 2007, the base salary is still relatively low at $2 million. In the fourth year, 2008, it starts to jump a little bit, to $3.5 million. And then in 2009 and beyond it is at like $6 million.

I think the Redskins are looking at his contract and figuring that having him on the roster, with this current contract, is pretty tough to deal with in 2008 and 2009. They're probably thinking that they would rework his contract before then, or they would let him go.

Thus, if Arrington makes the Pro Bowl twice in the next 4 years, the deal voids and the Skins are rid of his contract, right before the contract would have gotten big. They could then try to resign him if they wish, or just let him go if they don't deem him worthy at that point. But I got news for you, if Lavar doesn't meet the 2 pro bowls in the next 4 years, the Redskins will still renegotiate or cut him for salary cap purposes. There's no way Lavar is going to make it that deep into his current contract without a renegotiation or an outright release. As I see it, this incentive thing has little impact on the Redskins' plans.

backrow 08-25-2005 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I could see that happening too.

It would definitely take a huge contract off the team's hands. By then he'll be 30 or older and in at least his 8th year in the league.

Could be a convenient time for both sides to move on.

But who knows, if the team is winning and he's playing at a high level...[/QUOTE]

What he said!

Of course, I'm in my 33rd year, and I'll take the 3 mil to stay to the end of my contract................ wait............................, uhhhhhhhhhhh I don't have a contract! Where are the Postons, I've gotta sue somebody!

BigSKINBauer 08-25-2005 03:52 PM

wait, i don't get it he can opt to leave if he gets 2 probowls in the next 4 years, if he gets it in the next two he can leave that early but if it takes him as long as 4 years he can leave the beginning of that 5th year, but we can counter all that by paying 3 million if he opts to leave

Now isn't that better than if we just gave him a JUSTIFIED bonus for making two probowls in the next 4 years of 3 million, because the only way we would pay that money is if he is a d-bag and wants to leave. So if he does make the probowl twice and doesn't want a controversy he won't opt to leave and we keep our 3 mil.

I am just happy that it is over and we can get back to football.

LAVAR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigSKINBauer 08-25-2005 04:03 PM

Pastabelli talks about it

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2142691[/url]
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Nearly a year and a half of acrimony between the Washington Redskins and star linebacker LaVar Arrington has ended with a settlement of the contract dispute in which the three-time Pro Bowl defender insisted that the team shorted him by $6.5 million in the eight-year extension he signed in December 2003.

The settlement, which culminated weeks of intense bargaining that was ratcheted up over the past few days, is expected to become official Thursday. The deal was essentially completed on Wednesday when Arrington's attorney, Steve Brown, was able to have some key sticking points removed from the settlement language.

Under terms of the settlement, Arrington is likely to see half the disputed $6.5 million. The deal allows Arrington to void the contract, which is scheduled to run through the 2011 season, as early as 2007 if he is named twice to the Pro Bowl. Making the Pro Bowl twice over the next four years would permit Arrington to then void the remainder of the deal.

If such a void is triggered, and Arrington opts to become a free agent, the Redskins can "buy back" the voided years with a $3.25 million bonus.

There is an additional $1.6 million in bonuses that Arrington can earn, but which will be difficult for him to reach, given playing time stipulations involved. As recently as a few days ago, it appeared a settlement might include a contract extension, but extra years were not included in the final document.

The dispute began shortly after Arrington signed an eight-year, $68 million extension late in the 2003 season. Arrington and agent Carl Poston subsequently charged that a bonus of $6.5 million for 2006, which they said had been agreed upon, was omitted from the final draft of the contract that the star linebacker signed. Poston acknowledged that he had not read the final contract.

Arrington, the second overall choice in the 2000 draft, filed a formal grievance through the NFL Players Association last year. After several arbitration hearings were postponed, Arrington withdrew the grievance last month, in part at the urging of NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw, and the two sides pursued a settlement.

It appeared a settlement was close last week, but Redskins owner Daniel Snyder backed away from some of the stipulations, and the agreement nearly fell apart.

Sources close to the talks told ESPN.com that, while Upshaw played a major role in the discussions, the deal was completed because of the relationship between Arrington and coach Joe Gibbs, and their mutual eagerness to reach an agreement before the start of the season. Arrington, who has not played in the preseason and has missed considerable practice time in camp, is to make his debut in Friday night's contest against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Longtimefan 08-25-2005 04:50 PM

The way the Washpost described the resolution to this conflict still seems to leave a lot to be desired. Much of what is going to be determined is based on LaVar making it to the Pro-Bowl a couple times in the next few years. To me that appears to be a bizare arrangement considering the fact LaVar is coming off two knee surgeries, and the longterm prognosis of his physical health would have to be a concern when making such implications a part of any deal, long or short term. I just wish the terms of this agreement were a little more clear because there seems to be some underlining factors involved here that haven't been put in print.

BossHog 08-25-2005 05:39 PM

No player will play forever. :oink:

giacomo2 08-25-2005 05:53 PM

Well it obvious that LA doesn't have a BA in business. As for the pro bowl...the only redskin LB worthy of that honor is Marcus Washington...he's a STUD whereas lavar is a DUD.

STPainmaker 08-25-2005 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=giacomo2]Well it obvious that LA doesn't have a BA in business. As for the pro bowl...the only redskin LB worthy of that honor is Marcus Washington...he's a STUD whereas lavar is a DUD.[/QUOTE]

Lavar isn't a dud, when MW steps on the field people are cautiosly aware, we know he's damn good. When Lavar steps on the field people start alligator arming catches, pulling up when going across the middle, and know in the back of their minds they could end up in severe PAIN....like some clubber lang shit.

:boxing: