Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Giants looking to trade up? (to 1st) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=767)

Cush 04-08-2004 12:27 AM

Giants looking to trade up? (to 1st)

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1777846[/url]

[quote]SAN DIEGO -- The New York Giants, known to covet Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, have spoken with the San Diego Chargers about obtaining the first pick in the NFL draft on April 24.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed he got a call from Giants GM Ernie Accorsi on Tuesday.[/quote]

SKINSnCANES 04-08-2004 12:40 AM

This could make the draft very interesting. The chargers want Ben R. Which means two of the top four pick will be QBS...the browns might not have to trade up anymore to get Gallery... Mabye the chargers dont even want to draft at four, mabye Marty wants to keep his job and fill a bunch of holes...mabye he wants a receiver to replace Boston (gardner), a linebacker to upgrade (trotter), and some picks next year to continue to build and then trade the 4th pick to us... (yes im still stuck on getting Winslow and Taylor...and I know wed be better off getting later picks and more players along with Taylor, but I cant help think how good our team would be.)

Daseal 04-08-2004 12:52 AM

Wow, if we have Gallery fall to us at 5, we just gained a shitload of leverage. Seriously. Teams would give up a lot for Gallery. And we could still land Taylor or Winslow.

SKINSnCANES 04-08-2004 12:55 AM

yea we would trade to the brown for their second or third round pick. The lions may end up taking Winslow anyways becuase they signed Brock Marion, of course they have that deal with the Patriots. So we could take Winslow instead of Taylor and get a couple of picks. But then we have to deal with the Postons, who will probably say that he should have been picked earlier and demand more money and then he will hold out...hmm, interesting what options might unfold

SmootSmack 04-08-2004 01:35 AM

I thought the Chargers wanted Gallery. I thought they wanted to trade the #1 for #4 and Kerry Collins, then use the 4th for Gallery. But I could be wrong

Is it a big deal that the Giants got Norman Hand today? I'm looking forward to the headline in the papers tomorrow:

"Giants Get Hand Job...Coughlin Satisfied"

skinsfanthru&thru 04-08-2004 01:56 AM

if this trade goes through its almost a lock that the chargers would then draft Rothesburger(or however u spell his name.) We aren't gonna draft both winslow and taylor especially with winslow signing with the postons' and I was really hoping he'd be the guy we went with if we stayed put. If both taylor and gallery are there when we draft, I agree we have tons of leverage to trade down and possibly get quite a few nice picks. This draft is gonna be one of the more memorable ones and possibly very high in trade traffic of both players and picks. I know I'll be practically glued to me chair, atleast for our picks.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-08-2004 01:58 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I thought the Chargers wanted Gallery. I thought they wanted to trade the #1 for #4 and Kerry Collins, then use the 4th for Gallery. But I could be wrong

Is it a big deal that the Giants got Norman Hand today? I'm looking forward to the headline in the papers tomorrow:

"Giants Get Hand Job...Coughlin Satisfied"[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I can't believe I didn't think of something similar.

he signed for pretty cheap 2 if I remember what I read about it correctly. 2 years for less than 2 million but with possible $1+ million in perfomance incentives.

offiss 04-08-2004 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I thought the Chargers wanted Gallery. I thought they wanted to trade the #1 for #4 and Kerry Collins, then use the 4th for Gallery. But I could be wrong

"Giants Get Hand Job...Coughlin Satisfied"[/QUOTE]

I see were back to the hand job jokes again, this time it's a GIANT happy ending.

SmootSmack 04-08-2004 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=offiss]I see were back to the hand job jokes again, this time it's a GIANT happy ending.[/QUOTE]

I missed out on all the hand job joke fun last time but I couldn't pass on it this time around

Gmanc711 04-08-2004 07:00 AM

If Gallery fell to 5, and thats who Cleveland wanted, it really dosent work out much better for us. We would defintley score Taylor or KW II. Proboly the ladder, even though I want taylor but it would be a good way to gain a couple picks

Hail to the Redskins 04-08-2004 07:53 AM

The Chargers have been in love with Robert Gallery from day one... if they rade down to 4... it will be becaue they know they can still get the top guy on their board.

This deal makes plenty of sense .... Giants want Manning, Chargers want Gallery. Fitzgerald is a family friend of Denny Green, so Arizona is the place for him.... the only question left is the Raiders who could go in ANY direction...

Daseal 04-08-2004 08:21 AM

I think the Raiders might go with Roy Williams. He's the best receiver coming out this year, in my opinion. He beat Fitzgerald in every single category at the workout he had the other day. Vert, Long Jump, 40 time, everything. Not to mention this kid has been catching everything for 4 years.

But the Raiders could go with Gallery too, who knows!

sportscurmudgeon 04-08-2004 11:48 AM

Folks:

At least 10 teams want Gallery; there is a huge market for him out there. He was involved in more trade rumors and draft day shennanigans during the Florida meetings than any three other players combined. One of the teams "interested" in Gallery but not drooling over him is:

The Washington Redskins.

Ol' Boss Hog himself is very impressed...

Gmanc711 04-08-2004 12:00 PM

I dont think it would be a big deal for the next year or two, but in a few years, does anyone really wanna see a Manning in the NFC East?

JoeRedskin 04-08-2004 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=Gmanc711]I dont think it would be a big deal for the next year or two, but in a few years, does anyone really wanna see a Manning in the NFC East?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. The reports I have seen seem to indicate that he doesn't have his brother's football intelligence. Although considered the "safest" of the three QB's, I am not convinced he is the sure thing that some think he is. Maybe I am dead wrong and he is the next Hall of Fame QB, BUT - If someone can rob the Giants blind in their bid for him, well then bid away.

On the other hand, this may be a reason to trade to No.1 and then hold an Eli auction, open to anyone but the Giants.

Also, if we stay put and if Gallery is still on the board at 5 - then the gallery is open for a Gallery auction. Everybody wants him and everybody will pay!

By the way, as for all this draft speculation, didn't I ask for some aspirin before? I think I need extra-strength.

Are there any permutations we haven't considered?? How about Darrell Green: We just trade his "nice guy factor". Some other team can claim he is a real [fill in team name] guy and always has been - Hell, that ought to be worth a couple of first rounders right there!!