Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   speeding ticket advice (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=7757)

MTK 09-12-2005 11:36 AM

speeding ticket advice

Just looking for some advice, I recently got ticketed on my way to work, 44 in a 30. Going down a pretty steep hill too.

Is it worth talking to an attorney? Do I have anything worth fighting?

I've only had a couple of speeding tickets before. Last one in early '03.

TheMalcolmConnection 09-12-2005 11:51 AM

Re: speeding ticket advice

No, getting an attorney will just waste money if it was obvious you were speeding. Basically I just had a problem where it was clearly in my favor and I still got screwed WITH an attorney.

Just show up there, be repentant and suggest driver improvement class if they lower it to a non-moving violation or so they don't add points.

MTK 09-12-2005 12:43 PM

I did a free consult with a local attorney and he basically said the same thing. Show up and see if they can cut you a deal to lower the charge. Of course he offered to do it for me for $450, I was like nooooo thanks.

cpayne5 09-12-2005 12:54 PM

A judge laughed at me once when I asked for a ticket to be dropped. Only ticket I've ever had and the only time I've ever been before a judge.

That Guy 09-12-2005 03:26 PM

you can get the spedometer checked if you want to try and drop the ticket a couple mph... you can take driver improvement online and that looks good, and its cheap (35$ or so). I'd take the clinic and get a printout of your record from the dmv to show you've been clean. The main thing a lawyer can do for you is talk to the cop, when i got a ticket (100mph) It really helped, for 14 over i dont think you need it though.

If you've been clean hopefully he'll just dismiss it.

BDBohnzie 09-12-2005 03:49 PM

Have to agree with the consensus, no lawyer, go to court, and try to plead down to a lesser fine.

Here in MoCo, you can enter a plea of Guilty with explanation. If you can do that, explain that you were going down a steep hill, and were trying to keep your speed at a minimum.

I know in Maryland, that a driving record is cleaned after 2 years. So, if it's the same for NY, point out your clean driving record as well.

You may get lucky and have the cop not show up...just don't bank on it. And, hope the judge is in a good mood. They tend to let people off easier...

MTK 09-12-2005 03:52 PM

I remember showing up in court for a ticket back in '98 or so, I got it reduced to a non-moving violation, but I don't remember exactly how or why.

I figure it's better to show up and see what happens.

FRPLG 09-12-2005 04:02 PM

It has been my experience and understanding that just showing up and offering a reasonable explanation usually gets you a few brownie points. I had a rolling stop dropped to a lesser charge by just explaining I had looked both ways and it was clear to go. Dropped from a $75 ticket to $25. Going downhill is basically in the same realm so that might work. There are some things you can do that may get you off like postponing your court date so long that the cop doesn't show up but some might have some moral quibbles with things like that. I wouldn't try questioning the cop since they are trained how to testify and you'll just end up looking like an ass most likely. Save that stuff for a lawyer. Then he can look like the ass. They're pretty good at that.

firstdown 09-12-2005 05:24 PM

If you are in NY a speeding ticket could be very costly and I'm talking from and insurance point of view. I would recommend calling your insurance agent and find out how a speeding ticket could hurt your rates. From what you have said that would be two tickets in three years and have you had any accidents at fault or not at fault. Some states a ticket or two will not jump your rates but in others it can as much as double them and lets say you have a little fender bender they could realy jump. I'm an insurance agent in Va and I know NY can be a funny state for insurance. Age, driving experence, how long you have been with your current company, all of these factors could play a role in how it may effect your insurance.

That Guy 09-12-2005 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I remember showing up in court for a ticket back in '98 or so, I got it reduced to a non-moving violation, but I don't remember exactly how or why.

I figure it's better to show up and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS show up, try to explain your record is clean and any circumstances, and hope for the best.

If you want you can file for a continuance, delays it a month and gives you a second chance to get a cop no show... cops only show up like once a month for court though, so they rarely miss... unless they move or retire.

and the insurance costs are MUCH higher over the long term than the actual fines.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-12-2005 10:49 PM

I doubt an attorney will be able to help you much. Traffic court judges aren't going to be wowed that your hired an attorney and usually, the attorney will just end up costing you more money than it is worth. If you got a DWI I might say otherwise, but I think you're best bet is to simply plead your case to the judge, be respectful, and use your common-sense to concoct a good argument.

Hijinx 09-13-2005 12:44 AM

Not sure how it works in New York but in Maryland if the Cop doesn't show it is automaticly dismissed. Nine times out of ten the fine hurts you less then the points, which cause you insurence headaches.

Gmanc711 09-13-2005 01:07 AM

Just go in there and defend your driving history, and try to get it down to a non moving violation. You'll still pay a fine, but as long as you keep the pts off, thats what I would worry the most about.

Redskins8588 09-13-2005 02:16 AM

Ask for a list of which officers are properly trained in using the radar equipment. Also ask for the records of when the last time the radar device was calibrated. Both are to be presented to you if you request them. In some areas not all of the cops are "properly" trained or keep up to date with the training on using the radar. And some times you luck out and the radar's calibration may be over due by like a week or two...

That Guy 09-13-2005 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588]Ask for a list of which officers are properly trained in using the radar equipment. Also ask for the records of when the last time the radar device was calibrated. Both are to be presented to you if you request them. In some areas not all of the cops are "properly" trained or keep up to date with the training on using the radar. And some times you luck out and the radar's calibration may be over due by like a week or two...[/QUOTE]

thats about as long a shot as hoping for a no show :(
usually if you bring it up, the cop just say yes he's trained and yes is calibrated and that's that.